Tec 40 vs UK 2L: 2nd Runtine/brightness test confirms surprising results

brightnorm

Flashaholic
***** SEE REVISED TEC40 RUNTIME USING DURACELL ULTRA/M3 AT BOTTOM OF POST *****

After first evaluating the Tec-40 compared to other 4AA lights (see Tec 40 thread)and concluding that it was an excellent light with a disappointing runtime, I decided to test it again to confirm my results.

In that thread evaluating 4AA lightsI stated that my favorite small general purpose light (which includes walking, trekking, and everything else) was the UK 2-L. I included it even though it was a 2x123a because it takes the same lamp/bezel as the UK 4AA, and thus has the identical beam.

I just finished testing the Tec 40 and the UK 2L. The UK had fresh Surefires and the Tec 40 had fresh Duracells (not Ultras) dated 2008.

Initially, the Tec 40's beam was whiter, brighter and generally superior because of its faceted reflector. I left them in a bedroom while I tended to my holiday guests.

One hour later I checked on them. The UK was now as bright as the Tec 40, though the Tec 40's beam was still superior.

I checked back after a total of two hours and twenty minutes. I was surprised to see that the Tec 40 had gone out, while the UK was blazing merrily away, still pretty white.

I immediately tried another lamp assembly for the Tec 40 and got a brief dull yellowish glow, then nothing. Those batteries were dead. Then I checked the PTec's bulb with fresh batteries: bright white light.

After total runtime of three hours and fifteen minutes, the 2L was quite dim and yellow, though still bright enough to light your way on a sidewalk.

There is simply no escaping the facts. The Princeton Tec 40, despite its many excellent attributes has one glaring fault; a surprisingly short burn time. If I had used Ultras the burn time would have been longer, but probably not longer than the very highly rated Ray-O-Vac Maximums I intend to use in my third (and hopefully final) test. It appears that the Tec 40 is essentially a two-hour light, and the 2L is a three-hour light. That is one heck of a difference.

The 2L's weak point is its beam quality, and since some lamp/assemblies are good and some not so good, getting a superior one is really a matter of luck. (Although lately the beams have seemed more consistant). I have dealt with this in a way that some flashaholics might consider exhorbitant. If my favorite local dealer is in a good mood, he will carefully open several new UK light packs and let me select the best ones. (I give him a lot of business). If he's not in a good mood I just buy several and usually get one or two good ones. (the rest go to friends and into my UK 4As) This way,my UKs have beams that are generally very good, though still not as perfect as those from a faceted reflector.

I own and have tested most of the 4AA lights mentioned in CPF, and my preference for a very small general purpose light continues to be the 2L because of its tiny size and 2.2oz weight, its easy operation with one hand (yes, if properly siliconed it works well), its decent if not spectacular brightness, and its excellent run time. Not to mention the fact that it is extremely rugged and completely waterproof.

I EDC (belt holsters) several lights, each with its own purpose. With the understanding that with current technology, any light is a compromise, I find that the 2L fills a special niche more successfully than any other light I have owned, seen or read about.

I realize that this is probably a minority opinion, but our choice of lights is a personal one, determined by each Flashaholic's personal needs and requirements. I acknowledge the excellence of many other lights, but for my use, at this point the 2L fills the bill.

*** REVISED TEC 40 RUN TIME FIGURES ***

I just completed my (third!) Tec 40 burn test. This time I used Duracel Ultras with "M3 Technology" dated 2008.They gave significantly improved performance. After 3 hours and ten minutes, the beam was much dimmer, but still moderately useful. Duracell Ultra AAs are available on special at Cheapbattery.com for $2.50 for a 4-pack. The last time I ordered Duracell Ultra AAs from them I got batteries dated 2003, which means they had probably been manufactured around 1997. Clearly unacceptable, so I returned them. I don't feel comfortable recommending them after that. For my final Tec-40 test I'll try the very inexpensive Ray-O-Vac Maximums. I'll try to post results in the next day or two.

If my Tec 40 can give me a solid three hours on reasonably priced batteries, I will re- rate it and start using it myself.

Brightnorm

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightnorm,

I definitely agree with you that 2L is a great light (I have 2 of them). No matter what light I carried as primary or secondary light, 2L has always been around as my backup of backup (my first backup is E2) due to its long-shelf life time of lithium and waterproofness, not to mention its tiny size and light weight.

I also agree with you that Tec40 has short runtime. I modified it and use it as low cost, bright and waterproof rechargeable light. Unlike most small rechargeable - 8AX, 9AN or stinger, it runs more than 1 hour, I consider this is an advantage.

I won't recommend 2L as primary light or daily utilities light due to its expensive lithium cells. If runtime/brightness ratio of 2L bulb is preferred, UK4AA is much better.

Of course, if only one light will be carried all the time, 2L wins on size/weight/runtime/self-life ratio albeit it lose on usage cost IMO.

Alan

Gandalf

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brightnorm:
Hi Alan,

Also, I ordered the "long burn time" krypton bulbs for the Tec. I'm very interested to see how long and how bright. I'll also post run time results using cheap Ray-O-Vacs

Best regards,
Brightnorm
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got one of the 'long burn time' lamps for my Tec 40, and I was quite dissapointed at how yellow the light was, even with new batteries. The long burn time lamp may give what it's name implies, but unless I got a bad one, the quality of the light is not very good. I was expecting a reasonably white light, with reduced brightness compared to the 'stock' Tec 40 lamp, but that's not what I got. I finally put in a xenon 3.6V 0.8A Radio Shack lamp (sorry, I've forgotten the number) and NimH 1600maH batteries. It gives a very nice white light, virtually identical to my SF E2. I haven't done a run time test on it yet. I put some partly dicharged Nimh batteries in the light, to avoid blowing the 3.6V lamp with the initial high voltage of freshly charged Nimh bateries. (Learned my lesson the hard way...) If I can get an hour of good light with this configuration, I'll be satisfied.
rolleyes.gif
shocked.gif
cool.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gandalf:
I got one of the 'long burn time' lamps for my Tec 40, and I was quite dissapointed at how yellow the light was, even with new batteries. .
rolleyes.gif
shocked.gif
cool.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gandalf,

I just finished testing the long-burn krypton. Unfortunately, I agree with you. You didn't get a bad bulb. To put it crudely: the output sucks.

BN

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Hi Alan,

I have virtually no skills/knowledge re modifying lights. What sort of knowledge/ability is need for the type of mod you did on your Tec? Do you have any reaction to my revised run time figures using those Duracells? Also, I ordered the "long burn time" krypton bulbs for the Tec. I'm very interested to see how long and how bright. I'll also post run time results using cheap Ray-O-Vacs

Best regards,
Brightnorm

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put 3.6v/0.75A Krypton bulb in Tec 40 with many sets of freshly (fully) charged Sanyo 1600mah without any problem. I won't use Xenon as it will blow easily if overdriven.

I guess most Xenon bulb is a bit overdriven even in its recommended voltage. If you overdrive them in higher voltage with freshly charged battery, it's likely to last only VERY short life span if not blown in a few seconds.

Alan

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Compared with E2 and Tec40 with overdriven Krypton bulb, the tec40 is as white as E2 (Krypton supposed to be yellow, isn't it?). Tec40's hot spot is noticeably BRIGHTER due to tighter beam.

Alan

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Thanks Alan. You don't have a # for that bulb by any chance?Regards,
Brightnorm

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used Energizer (Eveready) KPR103 or WhiteStar for 3 Cells from Maglite.

Alan