Convert a Twin-Task to all LED?

Otony

Newly Enlightened
This is one of my first "ideas", and I frankly have zero clues as to how to pull this off. I have never converted or modded a light in my life, unless you count a drop-in Mini-Mag LED conversion, and really don't know where to start. I was hoping there might be someone here who could gently point me in the right direction.:candle:

I have a 3C Streamlight Twin-Task, and would like to replace the incandescent bulb with a Luxeon. This would give me an all LED light with a choice of running three 5mm, six 5mm, or one Luxeon.

I know there are multiple intensity lights on the market, heck a glance at eBay will reveal plenty. But since I already have the Twin-Task, I felt like it would be a good place to start.

I have not yet learned the differences between the many Luxeons available, nor if there is something as simple as a drop-in available for this conversion, but I do know that there will be plenty here who can tell me! I would be very open to paying someone to do the conversion for me if it required more than a simple bulb change, so Bay Area flashaholics, please feel free to step up to the plate!

BTW, for a fellow who doesn't know much about flashlights, I think I have collected a few useful ones. So far, my lineup includes:

SureFire G2 (with an LED conversion in its future)
Pelican M6 (also a candidate for an LED conversion, any suggestions?)
Inova X1 and T3
Gerber Trio
Streamlight TL-3, Stylus, 3C Poly-LED, 4AA Poly-LED, Twin-Task
MagLite Mini-Mag with a drop-in LED conversion

Plus more Photons and and Microlights scattered than I can keep track of.

There are also quite a few older plastic bodied Pelicans hiding in drawers and closets, living out their lives sans batteries.:crazy:

Soon to come are a couple of Streamlight Poly-Luxeon in various flavors, and perhaps an LED UV of some kind.

Thanks in advance for any help, and easy on a newbie, 'kay?

Otony

Last edited:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't find it now so maybe I dreamed it, but it seems like someone did build a regulated Lux III or V in a TwinTask 2L body. but it would be a pretty involved mod... I'd call that a semi-custom light rather than a mod even though it started out as a production light. Actually, it might have been Mr Bulk or someone like that.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the Xenon bulb uses a standard PR base you can use a luxeon PR base drop in. You will have to check the polarity of the bulb socket. LED bulbs are polaritiy sensative.

http://www.led-replacement.com/lpr-3.html
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/tektite_lpr-3.htm
Warning: The plastic bubble around the LED is slightly wider than an incan bulb and will not fit through the hole of some reflectors. Bulb base has to go to the +ve button of the battery.

http://www.ledsupply.com/evflbu.html
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/everled.htm
Classic (side emitter) and Lamberton (high dome) bulb base has to go to the +ve button of the battery.
Diamond bulb base has to go to the -ve end of the battery.

Otony

Newly Enlightened
"The Twin Tasks use a bi-pin bulb, not a PR base bulb."

So for the extremely ignorant (yes, that would describe me:huh2: ), what would it take to adapt a Luxeon into a bi-pin socket?

Otony, thanking all for their input.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a word, it would take a LOT! First of all, the 2x123 cells give off 6V which is too much for a Lux III star or emitter. Alternately, you could figure out which LiON cell fits the Twin Task the best.... an 18650 might fit, or you might need to go down to the 17500 with maybe a spacer. But I imagine this would stop the 5mm LEDs from being driven to their full brightness.

With the power supply issue out of the way, you would need to drill and cut the body in a manner that allowed the Lux III to be mounted in such a way that you could make contact with the battery(ies) while being isolated from the chassis and you would need to make sure that the emitter would meet the reflector at the right distance so that the reflector could properly do it's job.

I don't know how little voltage a Lux V emitter needs as I've never done anything with bare Lux V emitters, but there is a chance it would work to some extent with 6V so that might make the power supply issue easier to deal with but the bottom line is it would take a lot of work to build what you desire. I understand your desire, but I think it would be much easier just to have two seperate lights - one for a floodlight and one for better throw.

Otony

Newly Enlightened
Well, if it helps, this is the 3C version of the Twin-Task, not the 2x123. However, it sounds like a lot of work just to get the bulb in place, regardless of the actual power supply issues.

Yup, it did seem like a neat idea, as I could get a lot of different levels/types of use out of one light. And to be totally honest, it bugs the living heck out of me to see the sequence this light goes through. First 3 LEDs of white light, then 6 LEDs worth, then an abrupt change to a brighter light, but one that is sooooooo yellow in comparison.

Oh well, maybe there is a class for remedial electronics. I have forgotten everything from high school except for the Bad Boys acronym.:naughty:

Otony

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah... actually the 3C would be easier than the 2L as far as the power supply side... I'd try to get one with a Vf of L or better, TW0L would be what I would go for, but still seems like a radical amount of work.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried many times to convert a TT to all LED.
THe only suitable LED module for this mod is the Terralux MinStar 2, that fits in the bi-pin socket.
I made many attempts but I wasn't able to have the beam properly focused with stock reflector.
The SL TT doesn't allow more radical mods, since the guts are all made of plastic. To make a properly done mod, a dedicated sink needs to be produced, like the hotlips used for the Mags.

Anthony

Otony

Newly Enlightened
And there you have it, or not in this case.

My many thanks to all, especially Ray_of_Light and cratz2, for your efforts in this matter. Much appreciated!

Otony:thanks: