*1-K hr Update* L1-RD (L1 Red) ~vs~ X5 Red ~vs~ 24/7

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: *24HR. UPDATE* L1-RD (L1 Red) ~vs~ X5 Red ~vs~ 24/7

Yer welcome PSM...I know which one I will take when the Zombies come now. I had high hopes for the X5 after reading all the hype. It's a great battery vampire/drainer, but for a red LED light, the runtime kinda sucks...L1 all the way! I'm sure this thread will get alot of views over the years though, so I know my effort wasn't in vain. I (and several other CPF'ers) always wanted to know the "real" runtime of the these lights, so, I put the final nailin the coffin. Just wish I had my 5th gen L1 white head back so I could do a side-by-side of the L1-RD/L1-Wh. I'll definitely pick up another 5th gen L1-Wh next time I have some extra funds though.

scout24

Flashaholic

Just found this thread- Nicely done! makes me want to run my 4 flats Milky Floodmaster on low to see if it'll go as long. Great runtime on the red!!! Thanks for doing this. Do you know if there are efficiency differences between the older L1's and the newer generations?

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

I think the newer L1's are rated for 16 hours on low, while the older were rated for 90 hours.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: *168hr Update* L1-RD (L1 Red) ~vs~ X5 Red ~vs~ 24/7

After power up, the X5 was the brightest of the 3, and the 24/7 the lowest. the most USEFUL of the 3 was the 24/7, providing the most flood.

Have you tried the L1 with Surefire's available beam diffuser? It works really well on my red KL1.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast

2nd generation red KL1 with Surefire F04 beam filter. Provides a perfectly smooth beam with lots of flood.

The most useful lights are the ones that provide a deep red output. Your L1 appears to have a better deep red output than the 5mm LED's of the Inova, which is not surprising. To me it's not so much about having brightness, but preserving night vision.

Last edited:

Mikellen

Enlightened

Can anyone determine which generation this L1 is? 3 watt LED, 22 lumens high (white) for 4 hours, 1.1 lumens low (red) for 90 hours.

Thanks for any help.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Have you tried the L1 with Surefire's available beam diffuser? It works really well on my red KL1.

Yes, and it's a nice combo! In fact, it's so nice, I went ahead and "permanently" diffused my L1-Red with some glass frost. Also did that to my Kroma Mil-Spec...Much better now!

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

2nd generation red KL1 with Surefire F04 beam filter. Provides a perfectly smooth beam with lots of flood.

The most useful lights are the ones that provide a deep red output. Your L1 appears to have a better deep red output than the 5mm LED's of the Inova, which is not surprising. To me it's not so much about having brightness, but preserving night vision.

Well said Ampdude! That's why my L1's never get fresh cells (minus a runtime test, of course). They really are too bright, and as you said, it's about preserving night vision more than anything. Yeah, the 5mm's on my X5 aren't nearly as "red" as my L1-Rd.

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

*250 hour update*

X5: 1.88 volts: Still just a glow, can't see anything past 1-2". (Note, the X5 was inadvertently shut-off for about 16 hours, so it's actually at the 230'ish mark, and the voltage would be lower)

L1: can still be used comfortably as a reading light in dark environments (Maps/Books/Circuit Breaker, etc.)

The L1 is taking this one by storm, and still puts out 3-4 times the light of the X5 at the same voltage.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can anyone determine which generation this L1 is? 3 watt LED, 22 lumens high (white) for 4 hours, 1.1 lumens low (red) for 90 hours.

Thanks for any help.

Huh??? A red AND white L1? May be a Milky mod??? They never came that way stock, AFAIK....But, based on the runtime numbers, that would make it a 4th or 5th gen L1, with the current (NOW DISCONTINUED...:eek: :scowl: :mad: :shakehead) gen being the 6th.

Mikellen

Enlightened

Huh??? A red AND white L1? May be a Milky mod??? They never came that way stock, AFAIK....But, based on the runtime numbers, that would make it a 4th or 5th gen L1, with the current (NOW DISCONTINUED...:eek: :scowl: :mad: :shakehead) gen being the 6th.

Oh.... sorry, I thought the high mode of 22 lumens was a white led like something similar to the Proton pro or the discontinued RA. Both of those had a red led in the low mode and a white led for the high mode.
So I guess the version I'm asking about is regarding the 22 lumen high for 4 hrs. (red), and 1.1 lumen for 90 hrs. (red).
Would this one be a version 5 or some other version? Regardless of which version it is, should it expect to get a similar runtime as your test?

The reason I'm asking is because I saw it for sale online for $119.00.

Sorry again for the miss information.

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

No worries. The 4/90 hour runtime models are referring to the 4th and 5th gen L1's. SF only gave the runtime for the white model, but, as you can see, the runtime of the red is a wee bit longer. If the one you are buying is advertised as the 22/1.1 lumen version, then, yes, it shpuld have the same runtime as what I'm currently testing. A good deal for a new L1-Red, seeing as these have been discontinued for about 4-5 years now.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

365 Hours...the X5 is still glowing, but is useless. The L1 took another dip in out-put, and is only good for up close reading, but is still just a hair brighter than the X5. Will have voltage readings shortly.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

1,057 hours later (44 days), I can still read with it from about 3"-4" away...

scout24

Flashaholic

Yours must use a flux capacitor for power... :) Truly impressive!

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOL! Yeah, if I could find my multi-meter, I'd see what the cell is reading. -10 volts??? LOL! While it is essentially useless, I COULD read with it if I had too. The X5 still has a faint-glow, but unlike the L1, I can't read with it. I'm really interested to see how the 4th/5th gen L1-WH would do???

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D

AOW,

I must say this has been a fun thread to read.

Luckly, I found a NOS (New Old Stock), Gen. 2 Red L1, not long ago. I will do a test with mine, that is, if I Don't get a last minute call for something, and then all my attention shifts to that.

Thanks for the test,

Best wishes,

NR/RL

PS... I must have been crazy not to buy all the colors of the L1 wnen they ware in production!

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

1894 hours (78 days)...just a wee bit longer than the stated 90 hr. runtime. Unfortunately, I can no loner read by it except extremely upclose, but it's essentially useless now...however, it is still running. Battery is reading at 1.65 Volts. I'm going to end the test at 1900 hours...I haven't been able to use the light for 78 days, and I think I'm justified at cutting it off...I'm guessing it would continue to run for another 15-20 days though...3 Months straight isn't bad, and it you could still use the light for a marker (i.e. set it on top of a first aid kit to ID it in a pitch black environment). So, it still has a use. I don't think I will ever get rid of this light...and, the verdict is clear...it beat both the Inova X5-RD and the 24/7 Hands down.