*1-K hr Update* L1-RD (L1 Red) ~vs~ X5 Red ~vs~ 24/7

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: *168hr Update* L1-RD (L1 Red) ~vs~ X5 Red ~vs~ 24/7

So in addition to "Surefire Lumens", we now have "SureFire Hours" ??? (I guess, ie, 90 SF hours approximately equals 1894 "human hours") :crackup:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

So in addition to "Surefire Lumens", we now have "SureFire Hours" ??? (I guess, ie, 90 SF hours approximately equals 1894 "human hours") :crackup:

LOL! But I know what light I'll grab in an emergency/zombie apocalypse! My batteries will expire before I can use them all with this thing!

archimedes

Flashaholic

LOL! But I know what light I'll grab in an emergency/zombie apocalypse! My batteries will expire before I can use them all with this thing!

Thanks for doing this test, BTW - I am really glad that I finally found an L1-RD (4-flats, Gen4)....

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for these tests! I have this red LED L1 and every now and then someone really wants one at the B/S/T forum but...I think if this one ever leaves my hands it will be when the zombies take it away and the hands are already very very cold!

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for these tests! I have this red LED L1 and every now and then someone really wants one at the B/S/T forum but...I think if this one ever leaves my hands it will be when the zombies take it away and the hands are already very very cold!

Agreed Flash! I had to sell some lights awhile back, and...well, my A2L-Rd, Old-school M3, Emerson C2 went first...my L1-Rd stayed :0)

Kestrel

Flashaholic

Thanks for the bump, I missed this thread the first time around. Gotta love those L1's, the finest SureFire ever made outside of the P/C/Z series. :thumbsup:

theamazingrando

Newly Enlightened

This thread really made an impression on me. I've been looking for a red L1 for a while to run my own test, and I'm wondering about all sorts of other runtimes: how the different colors of 3mm or 5mm LEDs compare using the same driver, how long a Blue or Green Luxeon might run, etc.

Today, it occured to me ask whether anyone has ever done a runtime test comparing different color secondary LEDs on an A2 or A2L. Maybe the ultimate emergency light is an A2L-RD??

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-for-LED-only-use-3-different-colors-compared

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast

LoL!!! Great thread. "from my cold dead hands". I can't imagine ever parting with my red KL1. It doesn't get much use, but it's good to know it's there, it sits on my nightstand everynight.

Surefire FTW!!!

Wish I had some time (and a telescope) for some amateur astronomy, then it would get used a lot more.

theamazingrando

Newly Enlightened

I'll add my own modest experiment here. I recently acquired an A2L-RD, and ran an "eyeball" runtime test of the red LEDs. The light cut off, rather abruptly right at the 72 hour mark, having produced useable light right up to the end. I keep telling myself I should not be disappointed with 3 days of runtime, but I was really hoping for something insane like the L1 test! Surefire rates the red A2 at 17.5 hours on low (this is a specific rating for the Red and Blue A2L), but I couldn't even detect any noticable dimming before 40 hours.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll add my own modest experiment here. I recently acquired an A2L-RD, and ran an "eyeball" runtime test of the red LEDs. The light cut off, rather abruptly right at the 72 hour mark, having produced useable light right up to the end. I keep telling myself I should not be disappointed with 3 days of runtime, but I was really hoping for something insane like the L1 test! Surefire rates the red A2 at 17.5 hours on low (this is a specific rating for the Red and Blue A2L), but I couldn't even detect any noticable dimming before 40 hours.

Thanks for sharing grando! I regretfully had to sell my A2L-red, but I absolutely loved it, and will buy another when I get the chance, so this is definitely helpful!

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic

I love the fact that with SureFire, when they exceed the listed spec by "only" about 400% or so, we're disappointed .... :crackup:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ugh yall are so lucky to have L1s. I want them in every color. :/

@AoW, maybe he's got an Aviator?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just thought I would bump this for old times sake...just sold her to bigbluefish...sad I had to part with it...but, hopefully, some one will re-read this thread, and get some inspiration for these lights...

Kestrel

Flashaholic

Kinda hard to let a light go that you did a full thread on, hm? I know how it feels ... :-/

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, after that epic runtime test, we may actually be able to see if these LEDs can live up to those "50,000 hour" lifespan claims. Looks like I only have to run the thing on low for what...another 48,000 hours? :) Heck, this thing will probably still be working when my great-great grandson has it (though I don't know if there will be any CR123 batteries available then....)