1000 Lumen Flashlight at Home Depot

bykfixer

Flashaholic
This light reminds me of when I was a lad and my pop brought home a 3D Mag from a local hardware store.....
Soon after my mom had a 4C.

Dependable brightness that doubled as a potential billy club.

Now the typical home owner can have 1000 lumens in a similar sized form from a local hardware store... kinda like history repeating itself.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
it seems a decent host for a build project. Just which Cree emitters does it come with? Alkalines may blow but they are actually high capacity despite their poor power delivery. I very seriously doubt this light drives 1000 lumens even out the emitters let alone OTF. This light reminds me of the Terralux drop in I got for one of my D mags that was supposed to be 1000 lumens but tested to 700. Still, nice machining and rubber coated body lots of room inside this thing to work with. Big light, a bit to top heavy for my tastes but hey its dirt cheap. If I were to use this light as a project host I would just simply go for 1000 real OTF lumens via XML2 U2's from a solid source, better heat sinking of course improve wiring and soldering etc.

The tail clicky on such a sized light as this is just bad design. Its literally uncomfortable to use and inconvenient. Still tons of potential as a project host. I am just done with B brand Lowes/HD lights after I blew cash on the 1000 lumen Ultratech that is one of the worst lights I have ever seen. When it comes to Lowes/HD Ill stick to the occasional Coast and D Mag. Speaking of Coast I got the new XP-L HP17 and it is a freaking monster especially for the price. Bright as hell and throws like mad its variable focus is simple to use with one hand. The lens on the light though is aspheric. Going to spot gives you a square hot spot kinda weird but still the light is very well made and could easily smash a large pumpkin.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I'm looking forward to the mod.
I have a few decisions to make and some parts to source first. I'm hoping I don't have to mod the stock LED mcpcb but will if need be.
They appear to be xpe/xpg footprint LEDs but I've never seen a frosted dome on those before.
I have a coast polysteel 600 I modded that I love. Coast makes mod friendly lights.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, remove the Huskys optic assy and it makes one hellova mule!
Still haven't been able to determine which LEDs this light uses, I'm leaning towards xpl.... From what I can tell in pictures. These dies & substrate are smaller than xml2, have silver colored bases but NO polarity mark, only 2 bond wires (no zenier diode either), dome had a texture to it. Tint is neutral white. If anyone can confirm stock LED type, I'd appreciate it. I CAN include macro pix if need be but prefer not to set that up unless I have to.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Modding looks like it's going to be a lil trickier than I'd hoped. I cannot for the life of me find a direct thermal path 3up mcpcb to fit this light. Was really hoping to avoid having to mod the stock board to accommodate xml2s.... Unless someone knows where to find these specs....

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Runtime test in progress....

No real noticeable dimming after 30 mins, also noted that the heatsink/head didn't warm much, in fact, it seems most of the heat is coming from the battery tube/batteries rather than the LEDs.

Notable dimming after 1 hr but still plenty of usable light.

Significant dimming at the 3hr mark. Warmth has cooled down. Again, still plenty of usable light but 13hrs...? Thinking not.

5hr mark, I'd say less than 60% of its full output. Not dimming fast but steadily.

6hrs now less than 50% and I'm calling it.

There's still useable light and I could let it run down for probably 3 more hrs or so but not for 13hrs.
If it's rated to ANSI FL1, then runtime does not need to be continuous output and normally isn't.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Modding looks like it's going to be a lil trickier than I'd hoped. I cannot for the life of me find a direct thermal path 3up mcpcb to fit this light. Was really hoping to avoid having to mod the stock board to accommodate xml2s.... Unless someone knows where to find these specs....
What is the star sitting on? Is there a shelf below it?

Personally I'd probably mount three small Noctigons separately and wire them up.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, correct me if I am wrong but, if that is running a CREE based emitter in there pumping out 1000 lumens, I doubt it would last long on a set of D-Cells, simply because alkalines have no capacity. Now, if you were to fit 4 18650 lithium's in that baby, that thing will shine like a star. Also I notice there isn't much style going on with that one, I mean its got what appears to be a tactical bezel which is cool but not much else. I personally would pass.

alkalines have tons of capacity, you are wrong here.

the problem with d cells is they weigh a TON vs comparable output from lithium, and they have lower volts. but capacity they have

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the star sitting on? Is there a shelf below it?

Personally I'd probably mount three small Noctigons separately and wire them up.

There's a plastic spacer that lies between the LED pcb and the optic. Using 3 smaller pcbs will fit but not allow room for wiring in between, unless I start drilling into the heatsink and wire from underneath but I really really don't want to remove any material from the stock thermal mass and unfortunately I do not have access to a lathe to just tool my own out of copper like I'd love to.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update: have decided I want a uber high CRI so (3) n219b HCRI LEDs from mtn electronics are on their way here. They will be run just under max for the time being until I can confirm adequate cooling then I'll look into a harder pushing driver with more options.
Just out of curiosity, has anyone dedomed the 219b? What tint/CRI differences could I expect? I'd like to increase the throw but not if CRI is going to suffer greatly. The dome/dedome difference with this particular host is fairly extreme.

Last edited:

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, studies show that the n219b warms slightly when dedomed, much less discoloration (greening) then Cree, tighter/throwier beam and the CRI remains high. So, I'll be dedoming these emitters after reflowing.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
FRITZHID you are a much more patient man than I am lol. Were you able to identify just which Cree emitters it comes with? If it were my build Id go XP-L HD but thats me. And alkaline D's have an S-ton of capacity 13,000-18,000mah depending on brand. Mountain Electronics is the shiz nit.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
FRITZHID you are a much more patient man than I am lol. Were you able to identify just which Cree emitters it comes with? If it were my build Id go XP-L HD but thats me. And alkaline D's have an S-ton of capacity 13,000-18,000mah depending on brand. Mountain Electronics is the shiz nit.

They appear to be XPL LEDs.
As far as the replacements, I don't currently have an uber hi CRI light so this seems like my best currant mod option for one since it's the only 3 up LED light I own. I could dump in the xpl hi but then I'd have yet another lumens monster that throws but CRI remains low. I already have 3-4 lenser throwers so I think this reflector based 3 up in hcri will be a nice addition.

Yes, Ds have great capacity but are heavy, leaky, thermally inactive in cold, poor self discharge, etc.
This light will most likely become my staple auto light so no leaking/self discharge is kind of a must. :/
+ side is the 219s don't need 6A/each for max output so alks would be plenty effective..... Until driver replacement.
But like I said earlier, all my projects are on hold UFN.
My mother is passing from cancer in the next few weeks so my wife and I are heading to NH until that horrible ordeal is over with and then I'll be back working on my projects again.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
They appear to be XPL LEDs.
Are you sure? The pic you posted doesn't look like one. And it would seem strange that a budget light would be sporting 3 x the most recent Cree emitter and ones which are often more money than alternatives.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure? The pic you posted doesn't look like one. And it would seem strange that a budget light would be sporting 3 x the most recent Cree emitter and ones which are often more money than alternatives.

Well, that's the only LED I've found that resembles the LEDs in the light.
They may be older stock or lesser desired bin.

Latest posts