1000 Lumens Mag Production Inquiry

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
Mine landed in Southern California. I didn't have any 1600 mah 17670s on hand, but I did have a few Pila 168s 1400 mah batteries, so...

She fired right up! Workmanship is absolutely top notch, like all of mac's lights. The tailcap threads are perfect; she unscrews beautifully, without a hint of grating. The fit and finish are incredible. Everything's centered, polished, dusted, etc. - his attention to detail really shows.

The beam itself definitely tends towards a floodbeam. (This is to be expected in a mult-die LED.) But what a beautiful floodbeam it is! It reminds me very much of the pattern from Surefire's L2 - a great flood with a little bit of a hotspot for throw. Alas, I thought that the Sceptre I recently purchased (also from Mac) was my new floodlight, but the 1000 lumen mag has taken its place. This is definitely going to be my new walking light. Even on the lowest level (level 1) - where it runs for 35 hours - the output is enough for walking. The 1000 lumen mag on level 2 is just slightly brighter than my L2 on high.

Now a word about the UI. It's very cool! (Okay, that's three words). This is my first time using this type of user interface, and I really like it. The stock mag switch no longer "clicks" on or off. (The lack of tactile feedback takes a moment to get used to). Instead, you press and hold the button for a moment, and the light comes on at level 1. As long as you continue to hold the button down, it quickly ramps through levels 2-5; let go at any moment, and it stays on at the level you've chosen.

Here's where it gets fun. Turn the light off. If you turn it with a "quick" press, it comes on to the last level you used it at. But if you "hold" the button down instead, it comes on at low and cycles through the levels again. Cool!

Of course, from any level, you can always jump straight to "high" just by holding the button down for a few seconds.

All in all, another great light by mac. This is a great light for the money, and if he produces more (as everyone's requesting), I don't think any of you will be disappointed by its performance.

- FITP

Last edited:

VerbalK

Newly Enlightened
ostar Mag arrived in France.

Félicitations Mac !
Smart and superb WORK.
Philippe

alantch

Enlightened
I keep hearing good words about this light, but as we all say, a picture(s) is worth thousands of words and more. So I guess some beamshot of this light, in comparison with some of the floody ones like the L2 and L4 would be very welcomed.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep hearing good words about this light, but as we all say, a picture(s) is worth thousands of words and more. So I guess some beamshot of this light, in comparison with some of the floody ones like the L2 and L4 would be very welcomed.

I have an L2......I'll take a beamshot tonight.

Mac

nitnapz

Enlightened
let me help uncle mac a little. taken with a blackberry curve, only kitchen light was on, here is an "off, on, and on-from away" of my subject. keep in mind, i run the risk of being called gay by her when i have any photoshoot with my lights.

IMG00003.jpg

IMG00004.jpg

IMG00005.jpg

greenstuffs

Banned
No more lucky 20 for me either Mac is out of reflectors so looks like i will not own this light at least anytime soon it may become less appealing in the future as time goes by because the UB2 is coming out. Oh well.

A day late, and a dollar short.... I'm number 21. :mecry:

Mac, Paypal ready if you find you can produce one more.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
No more lucky 20 for me either Mac is out of reflectors so looks like i will not own this light at least anytime soon it may become less appealing in the future as time goes by because the UB2 is coming out. Oh well.

Lets face it the UB2 which sounds awesome is VAPORWARE until they are released. I bet you would be lucky to even see them released in 2008.

On the other hand the UB2 is rated at 400 lumens and the Ostar is 1000 lumens, so there is really no comparison in brightness terms.

Mac

greenstuffs

Banned
My point was just that as time goes by other things can be released making the current pending projects less appealing. Sure i'll wait 3-4 month for a light but sometimes people tends to lose their interest. That simple.

Lets face it the UB2 which sounds awesome is VAPORWARE until they are released. I bet you would be lucky to even see them released in 2008.

On the other hand the UB2 is rated at 400 lumens and the Ostar is 1000 lumens, so there is really no comparison in brightness terms.

Mac

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
My point was just that as time goes by other things can be released making the current pending projects less appealing. Sure i'll wait 3-4 month for a light but sometimes people tends to lose their interest. That simple.

If that means your giving up your spot, then that moves me up to number 20!

That would put me one number closer to.....nothing!

The day I saw my name on Mac's waiting list, I ordered the battery holder from FM. So, I got no light and a $40 cell holder to put in it.

Plus, I just got an unexpected email from a nice man in Nigeria with an unbeatable business proposition. Gosh, they don't call me "lucky" for nothing!
:wave:

greenstuffs

Banned
Well Sir send me a WESTERN UNION payment to my brother from the royal family in nigeria and i'll yield you the spot :naughty:
If that means your giving up your spot, then that moves me up to number 20!

That would put me one number closer to.....nothing!

The day I saw my name on Mac's waiting list, I ordered the battery holder from FM. So, I got no light and a $40 cell holder to put in it.

Plus, I just got an unexpected email from a nice man in Nigeria with an unbeatable business proposition. Gosh, they don't call me "lucky" for nothing!
:wave:

FightinCB

Newly Enlightened
Mac,
I know these are in back order but I can wait. I am interested in one in black with the switch on the side. Im planning on using at work. Let me know when and if you will be working on these. I'll PM a deposit.

Edwood

Enlightened
Mac, if you are still taking names for the wait list, I'd like to be on it.

*Edit - I have an ArcMania Ostar Pocket Rocket coming my way, so my Ostar lust has been satiated for the time being. ;)

-Ed

Last edited:

mjrd

Newly Enlightened
Hi Mac -
My friend turned me on to the crazy world of flashlights and I just joined the forum. I'd like to be on the list for two lime greenies if it's not too late. Is there a choice between narrow beam or flood?

Edwood

Enlightened
Would love to see a 15watt Ostar powered by a single AW C Li-Ion cell if possible.