100W-equivalent price trend?

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting. i'll bet there is still phosphor in the mix, just whiter.

I looked at the supplemental images on the page and noticing the lenses appear to have some phosphor. I think they were unsuccessful at overcoming consumer rejection of the light on it's appearance "off" and changed the design.

crazyk4952

Newly Enlightened
and Home Depot has a new version of Philips 100watt A21 design. It appears if the remote phosphor is gone, and the metal body color is a shade or two lighter.
and $35.

It looks like the new version has a much higher average lifetime at 35,000 hours. The old version was 25,000.

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
I looked at the supplemental images on the page and noticing the lenses appear to have some phosphor. I think they were unsuccessful at overcoming consumer rejection of the light on it's appearance "off" and changed the design.
You may probably be right. Of course we know it is just silly, either way the light is going to pass through a layer of yellow phosphor, you just won't see it. But that is not how a consumer thinks. I remember showing a green laser pointer to a someone and trying to explain that my green laser was much more expensive than a red. "Why?!", he asked, "Why is it so hard to use a green colored filter?" :eek: People seem to have it in their mind that all light is white until it passes through a filter.

SemiMan

Banned
It looks like the new version has a much higher average lifetime at 35,000 hours. The old version was 25,000.

No difference in the life, just in what they are allowed to report following EnergyStar guidelines which are based on LM80/TM21.

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
I tried a 100W incandescent with my dimmer and it has similar 2A peaks/spikes every cycle. I think the peak is due to switching noise of my Vizia RF+ dimmer.
The light from an incandescent bulb on a regular resistive dimmer does not have any flicker, I do not think. But the new type of dimmers, the ones with pulsed waveforms designed to work with LED, are becoming more common.

SemiMan

Banned
There has not been a resistive dimmer in 30+ years in the residential market. They are all electronic and employ phase cut either with a triad or more complex ones with FETS.

Only difference in the LEDS ones is the hold current is less so they work better.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I bought a Utilitech 100w equivalent (1600 lumens) remote phosphor lamp from the blue DIY store. I think I paid around $39 for it a few months ago. It's 3000k which I like but it's large and heavy, and the beam pattern is intended to sit behind a table lamp shade; there's a null at the top of the lamp where the metal disc is located. Unfortunately it won't make a good porch light.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Feit has a 100w non-remote phosphor and it is sub $30 at Menards. 28.97 for 3000K 29.97 for 5000K.
and every six months or so, there is a ~10% off sale. (happening now)

g9019

Newly Enlightened
Dredging my own thread here...

The Philips 100W equivalent at my local Home Depot recently dropped to 24.97, about half the cost of when I originally posted this thread about 6 months ago. Nice.

That said, that same Philips 100W LED is barely in stok locally, given the report from the "check store inventory" on HD's website. I remember something similar happening when Philips discontinued the 100W yellow-ish "alien head" 100W LED, and also when they discontinued the much-loved L-Prize bulb -- big price cut, low stock, and then gone.

Is there a replacement 100W from Philips coming soon?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The Philips 100W equivalent at my local Home Depot recently dropped to 24.97, about half the cost of when I originally posted this thread about 6 months ago. Nice.

I just snagged one the other day when I saw the price drop. It's the 'alien head' form factor with the white lenses. I've got it running in the ceiling lamp in this room and so far I like it. My only complaint is that the beam pattern is meant for a table lamp, so there's a null in the light distribution at the top of the lamp. Thus the brightest part of the room is a couple of feet below ceiling level. The color temperature appears slightly cooler than the 2700k CFL that it's running next to, which is good.

broadgage

Enlightened
If you go to
Incandescent light bulb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incandescent_light_bulb
It lists :
120 volt lamp 1,700 lumens.
230 volt lamp 1,160 lumens.
???
Why the difference? I expect the numbers to be different but not by that much.

Agree, Lower voltage lamps tend to be more efficient but not by that much.
I suspect that the comparision is between a rather poor 230 volt lamp, and a good 120 volt lamp.

In the early days of electricity supply it was used principly for lighting, and relatively low voltages were preffered as the lamps were both cheaper and more efficient.
Lamps of low power are much easier to manufacture in low voltages than high.
A 230 volt 15 watt lamp is a lot more expensive, bigger, less eficient, and has a shorter life than a similar wattage 12 volt lamp.
Euoropean Christmas decoration lights were almost allways series wired, often 12 lamps in series each of 20 volts, 3 watts. A 240 volt 3 watt lamp would be a far more costly item than a 20 volt 3 watt lamp.

In theory money could be saved by burning 120 volt lamps in series pairs on 240 volt circuits, but in practice the complication and risks of mistakes made it not worthwhile.

carnal

Newly Enlightened
CRAZY, the alien head Philips 100w equiv is now $17 at Home Deep.
The alien head Philips 75w equiv is now $12 (the more efficient white colored one)
The Cree 60w vers has fallen to $5!

These are all here in an unsubsidized CO market. What does this mean for the subsidized markets? Is the Cree now $1 or something CRAZY? (due to subsidys) Maybe someone in a subsidized market can enlighten me and my wonder-ings.

What is actually funny is Home Deep is still selling the old grey bodied 75w equiv (less efficient) alien head for $20. And in their "mark down" area, the Led's are selling for STOOPID-ly TOO much! 4 or 5 times as much as the Cree 60w.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Yeah I noticed my store now has the 75w and 100w bulbs. I think the 100w was 19.97 or something like that. 40w and 60w $4.97 I believe. I may finally pick up some of the 75 or 100w for my garage lights

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
The 100W equivalent Crees just showed up at my local HD so I snagged a couple of them. Noticeably larger and heavier than their predecessors, they seem to have exactly the same beam pattern as the smaller ones. I only turned one of them on for a few minutes to test it and so far I'm pleased with them.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
^

yep that's the first thing I noticed too; they are heavy, but quality heavy if you know what I mean

2700K/100W equiv. Cree units are excellent

markr6

Flashaholic
I don't notice any flicker on my 40w or 60w WW Crees. And I'm usually pretty good at sensing this on Xmas lights and other LEDs too.

Also, I noticed this at Home Depot on a 100w. May or may not affect the performance. Will need to give them a good look when it comes time to purchase:

cree_bulb.jpg

carnal

Newly Enlightened
*connects headphones to solar cell and places under lamp*

Yep. Sounds pretty much the same as the 75w equivalent bulb.

What an incredibly novel idea! I guess the the whole oscilloscope idea is overkill when you have a solar cell, ears and a brain!

And it also doubles as a great source for those of us that like to meditate on the 60 cycle hum. :)

Wait, there could also be a modulated message in that light stream...

Last edited: