123 heat

SureFreak

Newly Enlightened
Earlier today while riding with my dad down the Cajon pass, one of the two 123 cells I had in my pocket became extremely hot, and blistered my hand when I grabbed it out of my pocket
shocked.gif
I'm not sure how this happened
confused.gif
As I said there was another 123 cell, some change, and another metal object in the pocket. Maybe it somehow was shorted??? I didn't notice any swelling, and it wouldn't cool down when held in front of the a/c vent. Kinda made me nervous, but I've never had any problems like this with ANY kind of battery.

Regards,
Steve

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Happened to me more than once with AAs and AAAs.
The change or whatever shorts the batteries and they don't like that.
I'm currently carrying a CMG Infinity that I sanded all of the paint off of and then put a spare AA in the same pocket with some change.
The heat was what got my attention.
smile.gif

The Infinity was toasty indeed and the battery was too hot to handle.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still remembered the last time i shorted a sanyo 700 mah AA battery in my pants... that sucker refuse to cool for 10 mins plus! What's surprising is that it didn't leak....!!!

pal251

Newly Enlightened
ha ha (sorry I had to laugh) That reminds me of when I was moving in a hurry and stuck a 9 volt battery in my pocket and was driving down the road when I felt a burning sensation next to my groin. I reache in my pocket but since my fat *** was sitting down it was hard to get it out of my pocket...I finally got it out of my pocket with no permanent burning done to me but I was scared that sucker was gonna blow! I almost took off my pants while going down teh street

georget98

Enlightened
I was at a Christmas concert a couple years ago. For one song the choir all held battery powered electric candles. One of them somehow developed a short, a pair of alkaline AA's gave their all, an angel shrieked, and we had an early intermission. Once things got cooled down again the concert resumed. However with no candles and the sweet smell of frankincense and myrrh were replaced by the pungent odor of hot styrene.

SureFreak

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by georget98:
I was at a Christmas concert a couple years ago. For one song the choir all held battery powered electric candles. One of them somehow developed a short, a pair of alkaline AA's gave their all, an angel shrieked, and we had an early intermission. Once things got cooled down again the concert resumed. However with no candles and the sweet smell of frankincense and myrrh were replaced by the pungent odor of hot styrene.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
bluelaugh.gif

I now have coca-cola on my keyboard...THANKS!
It's happened before though..easily cleaned.

I feel terribly stupid now because I threw a $10 pair of batteries out the window of the truck
Oh well....I just got my 8AX Commander
smile.gif
yay!!!

Back to work....

Regards,
Steve

rodmeister

Enlightened
Sue, Sue, Sue! It's the American way. The lady who burned her crotch with hot coffee at McDonalds got loads of money, so can you
grin.gif

Also heard stories of AA batteries, coins and .22LR cartridges in the pocket cooking off and blowing holes in the pocket.

SureFreak

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by rodmeister:

Also heard stories of AA batteries, coins and .22LR cartridges in the pocket cooking off and blowing holes in the pocket.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yikes....