• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired 12AA in 3D M*g rechargeable by Fivemega

rdh226

Enlightened
Mine arrived (yay!).

I notice the tailcap is not drilled out to expose the charger socket, unlike the Spiral 9x4/5A.

Feature or bug? I really like not having to unscrew the tailcap to charge the batteries
(it's non-trivial to get the cap back on right, at least with the Spiral 9x4/5A).

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
a trick for putting on those really tough tailcaps (some of mine are ridiculously difficult because the bat. pack is so long).. hold the light with the lens against your chest.. and pull the tailcap toward yourself it's 5x as easy at least.

That is an interesting question though.. why no hole? bat. pack not tall enough to reach out to the end?

-awr

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some people did not appreciate ease of charging system on other flashlights I offered in past, so I decided to keep this one "water resistance"

phips

Newly Enlightened
I recieved my Mag today. Thanks again :)
Too bad its going to be some time before my PIR ships...
The body looks really great especially with the grooved head.
And the battery adapter looks alot nicer than my old 9aa-3d.
One thing you should know: the charging plug on mine does not work at all.
The problem could be that the drilling in the aluminum is not centered or that the charging plug does not go deep enough.
But as I mentioned earlier I wanted to mod that part of the adapter from the beginning since I was not all that happy with the 9aa-3d in that respect either.
Now I just need to think of something :)
But other than that this is a really great flashlight, I think I will never regret having bought.

VWTim

Enlightened
Any chance of selling a battery holder by itself? I already have a bored 3D host. My 9AA-3D from you works great, so I'd like to compliment it with a 12AA.

phips

Newly Enlightened
pertinax said:
Try unscrewing the plug part, and removing the lock ring. Then it'll work.
Thanks for the tip but thats how I fixed my last adapter already :)
This time I will try to work out a solution myself that is reliable and will allow for high current charging without too much voltage drop.
(The Schulze chargers are very picky when it comes to connections...)

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had a problem time to time with the charging jack on the FM adapters.. tolerance issues typically is the problem.. I've been thinking of replacing the solid rod with a spring that is in some of the adapters.. not sure how this one works. The reality is that chargers top off at a pretty slow rate so the added resistance from the spring should not be a big problem. You might be able to just add a tiny bit of solder on the rod to make up the tolerance issue.

-awr

phips

Newly Enlightened
I fixed the 9aa-3d adapter with a bit of solder but I have to say I don't like the construction as such.
The standard charging plug just feels too 'shaky' to be screwed down with force.
I am thinking about putting a isolatated banana plug where the current plug is and take the other contakt from the aluminum that sourrounds it.
The thing about the Schulze chargers is that they don't measure the voltage of the cells and just shut off at about 1.5V.
Instead they measure the 20mV (I think) voltage drop when the cell gets hot from beeing overcharged while charging at 1C minimum.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
the beauty of dV/dT chargers.. is that it's 'all relative'.. so as long as the connection is stable.. it doesn't matter that there is more resistance.. for example.. if charging at 1A.. 20mV =20mohm resistance.. but.. say there was 10mohm resistance on the contact.. the charger will see for example 1.40V volt, but the battery is getting 1.39V (10 mVolt loss at 1A).. when the battery drops to 1.37V (20mV drop).. the charger will see 1.38V (also 20mV drop).. as long as the current is the same.. the PROBLEM happens (finickyness).. is if the charging jack drops in resistance while charging.. that will for example.. the charger sees 1.4V to get 1.38 to the battery.. at the same 1A charge rate if the jack drops in resistance, the battery will be at 1.38 still.. but the charger will see 1.39 vs 1.40... I would use pro-gold on any contacts like that.

-awr

Flashing-Bernie

Newly Enlightened
got my GREY HAIII yesterday! WOW!! that cool grey especially with the finned head looks great! Thanks!

I like the color although I expected a more matt grey surface (rather than the almost shiny, semi-matt surface).

@PHIPS:

did you try a different plug? I'm was not satisfied with the enclosed mini-plug because only thin wires (which may have thermal problems handling the current) can be soldered to the contacts (due to a lack of space). so I tried some third party plugs and I found out that a 5.5 x 2.1 mm plug suited best.

phips

Newly Enlightened
hey flashlight-bernie
I was thinking about something like this:

735127_LB_00_FB.EPS.jpg

I myself cant bore the adapter out and make a 12mm non-metric screw thread or whatever that is...
But I know someone who does :)

pertinax

Enlightened
DELETED. Problem solved; 1/4 turn of the center post fixed the intermittent-ness.

Pertinax

Last edited:

Tritium

Enlightened
#6 Blue Please:paypal: for $105
almost forgot HS reflector as well. $25 more PP sent.

Thurmond

Last edited:

rdh226

Enlightened
$095.00 1 x Black quad-bored 3d M*g
25.00 1 x Dual-function HS reflector
5.50 1 x Boro Lens
10.00 Shipping
-------
$135.50

PalPay sent.

zehnmm

Enlightened
Fivemega: I wish to give you a big THANKS!! I am using your bored 3d, your 12aa-3d adapter, your dual function reflector, and boro lens with one of AWR's hot drivers. Incredible. I am running the following bulbs that range up to 2100 torch lumens: 20W, 35W, 50W, 100W
Check out this post:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showpost.php?p=1433437&postcount=505

Your work is nothing short of genius.

Best regards.