12VDC Power Supply with 15A or Higher Output - Recommendations?

rcnuk

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to buy a power supply to use with a Duratrax Ice battery charger. Needs to a have a 12 VDC / 15A+ output and I would prefer it have a female banana plug out connection. Any recommendations on a brand/model and a source to buy from?

:candle:

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Re: Please Move: 12VDC Power Supply with 15A or Higher Output - Recommendations?

Try your local Ham Radio supply they will have something around that size and larger. I use two 40 amp supplies here.
Norm

rcnuk

Newly Enlightened
Re: Please Move: 12VDC Power Supply with 15A or Higher Output - Recommendations?

Thanks Norm,
I'll take a look and see if I can find a Ham supplier in my area. Is the banana connection something that is unusual on PS?

macforsale

Enlightened

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator

As Mac mentioned combination banana jack and screw terminals are very common.
Norm

rcnuk

Newly Enlightened
Mac and Norm,
That helps, I was thinking a binding post was a only a bolt and nut setup. I'll keep my eye out for the combination type (4 or 5 way).

Cy,
I do have a couple of old computers collecting dust. I may try my own mod on one before for spend the $s on a commercial version.

Thanks anyone for the help!
:thumbsup:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Rcnuk,

I use a Mastech HY3010E with my Schulze. It should work fine with the ICE. If you are looking for higher current, they also have the HY3020E.

I started out with an HY1803D and it worked fine, but I was limited to a maximum charge rate of around 2.5 amps.

One factor that influenced my choice was how clean the voltage was. I chose a unit with low ripple at an affordable price. These chargers are designed to run off of a battery. A noisy power supply can sometimes confuse the charger into malfunctioning. When troubleshooting problems, the first step is to hook the charger to a battery and see if the problem goes away.

Tom

Last edited:

sig-in-tx

Newly Enlightened
I was using a Astron rs35m power supply with the ice charger. Over kill for the charger but I use it for my ham radios also.

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pleased with both finds on ebay. Both bench type adjustable voltage and amp. One is a 0- 13 amp 0-72v EMI with banana type connection, weighs about 35#.

Second is a Motorola selectable 0-5A, 0-20A,0-40A, 0-20v or 0-40v. Weighs 50+#.

Both power up my Schulze charger no problem.

Jim

rcnuk

Newly Enlightened
I went ahead and converted an old PC power supply. The output is only 10 amps at best but it worked just fine during my 1st charge cycle. The output voltage is about 12.6v with no load and 11.6v under load on a 6 cell pack. It was a little of a tight fit with all the wires but seems to stay cool with help from the dual fans. Someday I'll get a real bench top PS when a good deal comes along but this one was definitely the cheapest and fastest solution to meet my needs.

Thanks to everyone for their advice, info and ideas!
:twothumbs

cy

Flashaholic
10amps is plenty for most jobs. PC power supplies deliver really clean power too.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
LOL! I thought 10A would have been plenty of power until I got one of those 24s Elite Sub-C 4500 mAh to drive my Larry14K 28V 600W Q4559X GE Bulbs.

Damn Pyramid 10A PS keeps shutting down from heat overload...and it does get hot, so I stopped using it at higher rate.

Latest posts