14" 70.000 lumen spotlight project (with beamshots)

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
WHOA. That blows my mind! Unbelievable craftsman ship. And focusable too. Not to mention some of the best beam shot and aurora borealis pictures I have ever seen. Your camera probly cost more than my truck!!

Where did you get that reflector from?

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
WHOA. That blows my mind! Unbelievable craftsman ship. And focusable too. Not to mention some of the best beam shot and aurora borealis pictures I have ever seen. Your camera probly cost more than my truck!!

Where did you get that reflector from?

:thumbsup: This reflector is from Phoenix Electroformed. Great guys to deal with! I think they are a site sponsor too. Opti-forms is another alternative.

PolarLi

Enlightened
Unbelievable craftsman ship. And focusable too. Not to mention some of the best beam shot and aurora borealis pictures I have ever seen. Your camera probly cost more than my truck!!

Thanks!
All the build pics and most of the beamshots are actually with a Panasonic LX3 compact. It currently goes for like $150 on ebay. The Aurora (and the fog shots, handheld btw) are with a Nikon D5100. I paid $300 for it used, and $330 for a tokina lens, plus a really bad $15 tripod. So when that is said, it's my personal opinion that you may need a new truck! :whistle::D
Anyway, you have probably heard that the key to good pictures is good light? Well, I have good light, so to speak. And I live in the 'epicentre' of Aurora B activity, so that helps, a lot.

Last edited:

Gizer

Newly Enlightened
Really cool stuff, i' m impressed. Does anyone know, is there any restrictions for using such lights? This thing is dandgerous, it can be used as an AA cannon ))

PolarLi

Enlightened
Well, that depends where you live. I know it's been discussed here a few times before, and most places and countries has no laws that stop you from operating a light with a certain amount of candlepower or over a certain power rating. (often opposed to lasers) However, if you endanger anyone, point the light in someones house or heaven forbid on a aircraft or vehicle you are obviously breaking the law, but that goes for any powerful light, even a big flashlight.

Capolini

Banned
True, goes for rifles, pistols too, but common sense is not so common in the hands of stupid.

What is your point?? Do you think there is a large access of these kinds of lights with irresponsible people at the helm?!

If Joe Shmoe wants to commit mass murder how do you stop him?

PolarLi

Enlightened
Well, It's been over a year since I posted in this thread. I guess it's time for an update!
First, some may not have noticed, but I got a light meter and measured the lux, and it clocked in at 62,000,000 candela :thumbsup:

Last winter, I was also working on a spill light shield for the lamp. It had a very noticeable effect, as you can see on the pictures.
But it needs a few tweaks, and I haven't finished it yet.
PN97mfJ.jpg

T4WIOil.jpg

Other than that, I don't have that much to report. The light is working good, and I actually fired it up tonight.
It was a nice northern light display, and when the sky is green, you guys know what happens.. I return the favor with some blue ;)

rcuz3XT.jpg

ijStQpf.jpg

GODOFWAR

Banned
Re: 14" 70,000 lumen spotlight project (with beamshots)

Now just make it smaller for EDC! And I will pay you 1000000$!

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is something amazing!!!

PolarLi

Enlightened

Now just make it smaller for EDC! And I will pay you 1000000$!

Well, I only use a AAA for EDC. Who would have thought? Then again, you don't always need an EDC with this light.
For instance, you can aim it down a long deserted road, go on a walk for 1 hour, and you still have enough light :D
Just remember to bring a welding mask for the trip home :laughing:

GODOFWAR

Banned

Well, I only use a AAA for EDC. Who would have thought? Then again, you don't always need an EDC with this light.
For instance, you can aim it down a long deserted road, go on a walk for 1 hour, and you still have enough light :D
Just remember to bring a welding mask for the trip home :laughing:

What an awesome man you are![emoji363][emoji1303][emoji1305][emoji1319]

PolarLi

Enlightened

No matter what we do, we should all aspire to become more awesome.
It's not going to be good for anyone or anything, being grumpy all day.

Alright then, enough with the PC stuff :eek:

If anyone was wondering how this light looks like on the receiving end,
I found this short clip that I just uploaded. I was about 1800-1900 meters away.
It's really a pointless video, but it's still a little fun to compare it to the car on the left with the high beams on.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast

when i see this I feel like the new tn42 with a record 700,000cd in a stock led flashlight is weak :(

The tn42 has only 1% of the throw that beast has. Short arc is king !!!

Lexel

Enlightened

A 150W HID with battery backpack might be good comparing to this but not really handy

Enderman

Enlightened

Great job :) I love this light, beautiful beam.
Has anyone considered making a 6 or 10m diameter reflector in their back yard and using a 24kW HMI bulb for 2.3 million lumens?

I think that would help make the beam more visible from a far distance...
In your video you can't really see a beam, just a point of light.