14500 vs. AA NiMH -- what's the story?

cognitivefun

Enlightened
I can see how this could be a huge problem, mistaking lithium for AA and having a problem, either ruining a light or worse. Is this a reason to stay away from 14500? Are there many lights that can accept both?

Thanks!

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just make sure anyone who can get their hands on your batteries knows to check. I told my wife not to just pick up any AA sized batteries she can find as I have several 14500s. If she is not sure she will check with me. No one else has access.

Popping a couple of 14500s into a remote control is likely to blow something pretty fast, but as long as everyone knows to check first, this should not happen.

There are many lights that will take both. If not sure, check first (hang on have I said that before).

14500 can give you extra performance in a compact light so certainly have their benefits.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go for it - I find it the ideal battery and ultimate in versatility for small single cell EDC lights.

The 14500 has ~20+% more capacity than a 16340/RCR123 rechargeable. A lithium L91 will have about the same watt hrs of energy, shelf life, and extreme temperature performance as a CR123, although the lower voltage means ~1/2 the max output (~40% perceived difference). However, you can bulk purchase 14505/CRAA lithium primaries for an equivalent to the CR123s. And you have the option of cheap, safe and widely available NiMh and Alkalines. From a more practical point of view, you might have standardization benefits if you use other AA devices. And in an emergency you can use AAAs and 9Vs (6xAAAA) in a AA light with those AAA>AA adapters (or just use $$ bills and tinfoil as spacers). Consider how many AA, AAA, and 9Vs are currently littering your home in other devices.

The list of lights that fully support both 0.9-4.2V is not huge, but it is growing. Just read the reviews to make sure the light doesn't go direct drive on Li-ions losing most or all of its lower modes.