• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired 1450L M*g 2-1/4D 8x14670

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
LuxLuthor said:
So you are willing to spend this amount on all these lights, but not a lousy $20 for a Radio Shack tester? There is no way you can figure anything out without doing that...including the per battery voltage, and total output of battery pack.

By all means!!! $40 Grand on lights and no stinkin' pennies on a meter!!
Hmmmm....."Penny Wise and Pound Foolish"??? Could be!!

Karl

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm gonna halfta try to dig up some other 14670s somewhere around here and try them. I'll letcha know.....and then, I'll be searching fro a meter--otherwise LL's gonna be after me!! :lolsign:

Karl

Nebula

Enlightened
Karl and Lux I did not buy this light - one of the few FM lights that I have passed on - (it is too long!), but have been following the thread.

Karl I have to agree with Lux. Tisk, tisk, tisk, for shame - sending those expesive bulbs into action without knowing that the batteries are charged, rested, tested, and ready for action. If you can't see your way clear to spend the $20.00 bucks PM your address and I will send you the $6.00 Harbor Freight special I picked up a few weeks back. I have a meterman, but could not pass on the cheap HF model. Not to mention that it got a pretty good review here on the forum. IIRC the review was done by Handlebarthingguy (with apolgies for the spelling).

Lux - thanks again for the reminding me to focus more on my reading comprehension skills. I damn near missed that new FM 1.5D. I owe you one.

I learn a lot from you guys so keep up the good work, and keep those wallets open. :grin2:

Cheers.

Kirk

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sure do hope I've made you guys happy!! I purchased an el-cheapo but, functional DMM!!! Ta, da!!! Big deal?? Why sure!! Here ya go--eight 14670s with voltages to boot:

#1---4.2 volts
#2---4.25
#3---4.15
#4---4.2
#5---4.2
#6---3.77
#7---3.77
#8---0.17

Voltage at bulb--8.86 volts

Well, there ya go! Appears I got a BAD battery!!! Maybe two bad and one REAL BAD!! And I was wondering why this baby wouldn't waken up the sky!! Well, no wonder!!! Looks like I was about 6 volts short of a full deck doncha know!! :lolsign:

Karl

Nebula

Enlightened
Karl - good for you! For getting the DMM that is. You will find many new uses for it.

If I were you I would get #8 ready to send back. With both you and LL reporting bad bats I will hold off on my AW order.

It would be nice to know whether AW can track these bad batteries back to a particular batch or run. If there is a bad batch we should start seeing reports posted elsewhere on this forum and others.

Have you contacted AW? I saw Lux's post on the AW thread. It might help if you post your numbers there as well.

Good luck. Kirk

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
karlthev said:
I sure do hope I've made you guys happy!! I purchased an el-cheapo but, functional DMM!!! Ta, da!!! Big deal?? Why sure!! Here ya go--eight 14670s with voltages to boot:

#1---4.2 volts
#2---4.25
#3---4.15
#4---4.2
#5---4.2
#6---3.77
#7---3.77
#8---0.17

Voltage at bulb--8.86 volts

Well, there ya go! Appears I got a BAD battery!!! Maybe two bad and one REAL BAD!! And I was wondering why this baby wouldn't waken up the sky!! Well, no wonder!!! Looks like I was about 6 volts short of a full deck doncha know!! :lolsign:

Karl

I would say you have 3 bad, as these should be charging up to at least 4.16-4.2V The other thing I noticed was when I tried to recharge some that I iniitially thought were good, they either began to light up both the green and red Pila charging indicator, or would signal flashing red, that they cannot be charged. It seems to get worse in terms of number failing as I use them in my SF-L2 light for a short time, then try and recharge them again.

See if you have a light to run down the other 5 a little, and try to recharge them again. Some of mine only failed when I tried a 2nd recharge.

For sure those that you show at only at 3.77V are not right
. I am finding that even ones that charged up to 4.02 did not put out enough current to make my SF-L2 light shine brightly as the good cells did. You better add on to my post in AW's thread, so he is aware it is not just me.

Last edited:

AW

Newly Enlightened
For those what have P14670 that are not charging up with a proper charger. Please contact me for replacement/refund. I 'll need you to return the batteries in question for examination. I 'll also hold the P14670 sale until I can get down to the real cause of the problem. Please PM me for return / replacement info.

Thanks!
AW

Last edited:

redbird

Enlightened
Oh,oh. I have a few of those cells. Doe's the jinx continue? Fortunatly I have enlisted a guru to assist me in eliminating my jinx. It seems almost as bad as the billygoat jinx on the Cubs!

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Make that 8/8 of these new 14670 cells are bad. I tested the remaining two in FM's previous 1D light, and neither of them would give a decent lumen output with 3 of my older set that worked well...so now I have no idea when I will be able to enjoy this new light.

:awman:

Anyone know where else to get some of these size cells in case there is a major problem with AW supplying them?

:candle:

AW

Newly Enlightened
LuxLuthor : I 'll have to examine the P14670s you are returning. I won't conclude the entire batch is bad because I have just tested some of the cells myself and they charged up just fined in the WF-139 charger with ending voltages 4.18-4.23V. I am still waiting to see if other members is having the same problem you are experiencing. I have yet received any complaints for the 400 pcs P14670 same batch sold so far. I may also have to see if the new Pila IBC charger ( I assume you are using the same charger ) is compatible with my batteries ( please note : Pila don't suggest charging their old Pila batteries with this new charger also ).

Regards,
AW

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
AW said:
LuxLuthor : I 'll have to examine the P14670s you are returning. I won't conclude the entire batch is bad because I have just tested some of the cells myself and they charged up just fined in the WF-139 charger with ending voltages 4.18-4.23V. I am still waiting to see if other members is having the same problem you are experiencing. I have yet received any complaints for the 400 pcs P14670 same batch sold so far. I may also have to see if the new Pila IBC charger ( I assume you are using the same charger ) is compatible with my batteries ( please note : Pila don't suggest charging their old Pila batteries with this new charger also ).

Regards,
AW

I also found the same non-charging issue with the DSD...with the original plug, and new Nokia replacement plug, for those not charging. Originally, the Universal Lithium charger for all 8 cells that FM recommended on page one didn't work when I first had them all in his battery pack.

But I agree this is very strange...so I will send them all back to you...either later today (Saturday) or on Monday. I never had any problems with the last batch of 4xP14670, nor that older style with the wider silver labels. Those all worked in either DSD or new Pila charger. take a look at them when you get them. Also, I did not think to measure the voltage of each of these 8 cells before I did anything with them.

I really did not want to buy yet another charger if these require some new special WF-139 model that you mentioned. I'm sure this will all work out. AW is always one of the top sellers on CPF.

AW

Newly Enlightened
Lux,

Thanks! I 'll post the testing results once I have examine the problem cells you are returning. Meanwhile I 'll suspend the P14670 sales until I root out the problem. All other members having similar problem please contact me for arrangement of return/refund.

Best Regards,
AW

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I did get that really bad cell (?) charged and up to spec it would seem--4.22 volts. The other two 3.77 volt/each I just haven't had the chance yet but, I'm working on it! Still no sky blazing but, it'll happen!!!

Karl

rkonieska

Newly Enlightened
Well, got my batteries and charged everything up......OMG!
This is quite the light thrower. Not yellow but bright white
as one of my uninformed friends said.

thanx AW
and special thanks to Fivemega

rkonieska:grin2:

PursuitSS

Newly Enlightened
I just received my light................the workmanship is OUTSTANDING!!!!

Now IF I can just get the batteries.........AW PLEASE post when you are reselling 14670's.

PursuitSS

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
rkonieska said:
Well, got my batteries and charged everything up......OMG!
This is quite the light thrower. Not yellow but bright white
as one of my uninformed friends said.

thanx AW
and special thanks to Fivemega

rkonieska:grin2:

Well, once I get this power transfer glitz traightened out (soon I just know!) I'll be jumping up and down as well!! Can't wait!

Karl

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I don't want to buy batteries from anyone besides AW....so I'll sit tight and wait. Like Varooj, Andrew (AW) is "The Man" !!!!!!

I also hope my new Pila charger didn't somehow cause this problem....which would be weird because I have been using it with all my other AW batteries, including the last two generations of this exact cell. Wait....Redbird's Jinx is contagious, maybe?

The best thing about this situation is we finally got Karl to buy a DMM !!! That made my whole week.