1xAAA chinese e-bay light partII

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you realize that the clone lights are not even close to the quality of an ARC or Peak light then you will be satisfied with one of these lights. The clones are bright and they might be durable. With a battery installed the clones would probably survive a run-in with a car tire. The brightness of the clone lights is close to the brightness my high power Peak lights. The tints of the clones are whiter than the snow tint of the Peak lights and much a much whiter tint of the standard Peak emitter. I'm impressed with the output and tint of the clone lights. One other advantage to the clones is that the use a common AAA battery.

That is where the quality ends. The bodies of the clones are very thin- crushable thin. On both clones the LED is not centered and shows egg shaped beams. The clone lights have knurling that is only fair. The smooth knurling is more for looks than for grip. The tails on the clones have rough machining marks. The circuits are exposed inside the light. There is some kind of goop is used to partially protect the circuits from being damaged. Both of my lights have a very annoying intermittent connection that causes a lot of flicker. Both lights share loose threads. I wouldn't consider these lights to be reliable in a serious situation.

While the clones are useful no one would mistake the lights for an ARC or Peak light. Because of the bright for a 5mm emitter and the decent tint of the emitter the clone lights would make good stocking stuffers for Christmas and would probably thrill the general public. In my case, because of the cheap price and substandard quality of the clone lights, I wouldn't cry a lot if I lost them.

parcup6zd.jpg

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
justsomeguy wrote: "Despite being only slightly magnetic, it could still be steel, as claimed by the seller. Stainless steel is nonmagnetic or only slightly magnetic, depending on the specific alloy."

Yes, I agree it's probably still some steel alloy.

However just a point of information - I think it's the otherway round -
that MOST stainless steels are actually magnetic - steel in any form including stainless is mostly ferrite/iron - and it's all that ferrite/iron content that is magnetic -

I used the same magnet to test some of the most rust resistant known stainless steels I have - like Swiss Army Knives (both Victorinox and Wenger) and even the 18/8 stainless on flatware/table cutlery - they all were very strongly attracted by a magnet. Please try a magnet yourself - that's how most people test if something is made of steel including stainless.

However there is a special class of "austenitic" stainless steel that have special heat treatment which alters their structure that are claimed to be non-magnetic - please see this helpful page -

Is stainless steel magnetic?

paulr

Flashaholic
It might be pot metal, which I think is an alloy of copper and tin, or something like that.

rdshores

Enlightened
I took a file to the lug end and it's been plated....it looks like nickle over copper plate. Then under the copper it looks like steel. For as thin and strong as the body is, it seems like it's stainless steel, but I don't know why they would go to the expense of plating stainless.

balazer

Enlightened
TrueBlue said:
The bodies of the clones are very thin- crushable thin. ...The tails on the clones have rough machining marks. The circuits are exposed inside the light. There is some kind of goop is used to partially protect the circuits from being damaged. Both of my lights have a very annoying intermittent connection that causes a lot of flicker. Both lights share loose threads.
The light seems plenty strong to me. I don't know why anyone would want something any stronger.

The threads and LED centering are fine on my light, and there is no flicker.

As for the exposed electronics, they're not really exposed. That's the inside of the light. But consider the design trade-off: this is a VERY small and inexpensive light. They've not wasted a bit of space, and the result is the the most compact AAA light anywhere.

I'm not convinced that the SE has any kind of meaningful waterproofing in the head.

Whether this light is better or worse than the Arc depends on what you want. If you want something extremely durable and reliable, of course get the Arc. If you want something cheaper, lighter, smaller, and whiter, get the SE. It's less than 1/6 the cost!

Moat

Enlightened
paulr said:
It might be pot metal, which I think is an alloy of copper and tin, or something like that.
Hi, Paul. I believe "pot metal" is Zinc (like carburetor bodies, cheap cast jewelry - a white and soft, low melting temp metal), and Copper/Tin alloys are Bronze (gold-colored machine bushings/bearings, Bronze sculpture).

If it appears slightly magnetic (but you're not sure), a small sliver or file spec of typical low-cost stainless steel would stick to a strong magnet, I'd think.

This looks like a nice little "no big deal if lost" keyring light. Decent runtime and curve, too. I just wish they were a little easier to buy!

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
balazer wrote: "I called Sona Enterprises. At least according to their description of their FL319, it sounds like it's this light. (single LED, AAA)"

That's the model number on my packaging - and the "brand" seemed to be "SE" -
see comparison with classic ArcAAA - 1LED 1xAAA "clone"?

1LED1AAApk2.jpg

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would do for five, if someone want's to split there minimum, just don't really need more 1xAAA light's but i dig little light's so.... VDG

balazer

Enlightened
If anyone calls Sona Enterprises to order, tell them you're buying the lights for resale. Sona doesn't seem to like selling for personal use.

balazer

Enlightened
Has anyone tried a lithium cell in this light? I wonder about LED longevity.