2 All New LED Lights from Ray-O-Vac !!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

There's another headlamp at Wally-World. I don't have the name (and it's not on the unit itself) and I can't do downstairs w/out alarming the neighborhood, so I'll just give a description my best shot. Looks similar to the Rayovac, w/ three (WHITE) LEDS and an incadescent (xenon, about the size of a match head). Uses three AAA batts. The switch is a 4-cycle rubber-shielded push-button. The cycle is OFF, TWO LEDS, THREE LEDS, Incandescent. Peeve: The first cycle should be just a SINGLE LED. There is little diff in brightness (to my aged and weary eyes) between the TWO LED and THREE LED settings. The TWO LED setting is a tad too bright for me to read by when a single would do. I was very pleasantly suprised at how bright (if yellow) the incandescent was, and the beam is adjustable to a certain extent, by turning the bezel.

Manufacturer didn't have much pride to miss putting their name on the body. Fits well, and headband is easily adjusted to my over-sized, oddly shaped head. ;-)

About $13.

I like it.

jbechto

Newly Enlightened
I made a fun little light out of my Cyclops. I put 3 Nichia Green LEDs in place of the 3 white LEDs. Then I drilled out the reflector and replaced the kernal incandescent with a Nichia 6,400 mcd white LED.

Contrary to the earlier advice not to modify the circuit, I already did. I did not like the low current that the light runs to the 3 LEDs, so I "jumped" the resistance to increase the current. The single white is running off of the full current from the 3 AAAs.

I don't use it much, but it is a fun light to play with!

Do those Ray-O-Vac handhelds use a PR bulb? I'm wondering if one of my 3 or 4 LED PR retrofits will work in it.

John

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by jbechto:
...Contrary to the earlier advice not to modify the circuit, I already did. I did not like the low current that the light runs to the 3 LEDs, so I "jumped" the resistance to increase the current. The single white is running off of the full current from the 3 AAAs...John
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey, that's cheating.
smile.gif
Anyway, have you noticed any problems with the switching, or did I get a bum one? Also, I'm curious how much brighter it is. Between using Nichia greens, and increasing the current, I would say at least twice as bright, but that's a guess.
cool.gif

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Chris M from Wyoming. could you put your second set of Guts pictures up on this headlamp again... SERVER not found... many thanks. Bushman

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Wingerr:
...You just can't appreciate head mounted lights until you try juggling wiper refills with loose metal inserts in the dark along with a handheld light... there's just no substitute for a hands free light when you need both hands for the task...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No question about the virtues of headlamps, but my AAA Le has saved the day several times when I didn't have a headlamp. You can hold it (carefully) between your teeth or even more comfortably and moisture-free between your lips when they are tucked gently over the teeth. I used it this way recently to get at some tangled wiring awkwardly placed behind A/V components.

Brightnorm