2000lumen+ LED reverse lights.. *Output Pics* MMMmm...

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Um, wouldn't 75lm/W be around 31% efficient for white light?
:thinking: Ummm...

Depending on what you were talking about... maybe. Let me think a bit.

The theoretical maximum (monochromatic green 555 nm) is 683.002 lumens/watt, which is the 100% point I was thinking of. But that's the luminous efficiency, not the energy/heat efficiency. I guess just because we're not as sensitive to other parts of the spectrum doesn't mean that the energy isn't going into light, just that we can't see it as brightly. An ideal white light source is 242.5 lumens/watt, so 75 lm/W is indeed around 31%. :twothumbs

It does depend on it being ideal white light we're talking about, though, since doing that calculation with a peak in the green would give you an apparent result of over 100% energy efficiency.

How would we know how many milliwatts of light (rather than lumens) are being given off?

And does anyone want to do a more accurate calculation of the heat these things might produce, including from the resistors?

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
The resistors dissipate 4.1 watts of heat on each side.

If we take that arbitrary figure of 75lm/w and compare to the perfect light source and get 31% light/heat ratio then I have about 9 watts of heat from all the LEDs on each side as well.

...I'll do some thermocouple temperature tests here soon.. if I'm feeling especially into it and not too terribly hung over tomorrow I may even whip up some current/temp graphs and such.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The reversing lamps in that application would normally be a 12.8v, 27w, 32mscp (402 lm) item.

There is a direct-swap 12.8v, 35w, 62mscp (780 lm) bulb with proper filament geometry and LCL that'd swap in and significantly upgrade the reverse lamps' output without heat or power concerns, but from what I can see that was only half the goal in this case, the other half being the project itself!

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
Indeed that would help. But my LEDs will trump those 35w bulbs quite easily.. for more than 1 reason.

They produce ~300lm more for one.

And the filament bulb throws light in all directions.. they don't seem to pay a lot of attention to the reflector design for the reverse lights.. It's pretty horrible.. The LEDs are much more optically efficient.

Eye of Unk

Newly Enlightened
I got ahold of a couple of pieces of the high powered LED advertising signs and after some trimming and rewiring , a new tailgate for my dually Silverado I have running, brake and sequential turn signals on my truck, it cost me almost a grand in parts, paint and etc. but its been working flawlessly since last june.

The lights are a double row of SMD, red, in three seperate blocks, left block has left sequential turn,run and brake, center block has running and brake, right block has T/S, run and brake.Its about 1 1/4 thick, about 2 inches high and runs from fender to fender just under the tailgate which is why I had to buy a new one and I trimmed about a half inch off the bottom so it would clear the lights red lense cover, rewelded and repainted.

Yours looks good, ever thought of the idea of a LCD screen mounted flush in a tailgate like about 22 inches wide slaved to a camera in the front grill of the truck?

Eye of Unk

Newly Enlightened
plasmaglowfirestorm.jpg
Not my idea but similar.

KingSmono

Enlightened
Now that is cool. Good job. I can't wait to see pics of the final product. What kind of trigger are you using to make it strobe and what-not?

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
Thanks. I'm using a 40pin micro controller that controls everything, marker brightness level, reverse brightness level, brake brightness level, and controls the individual rates at which the sequential signal lights fade on and fade off to completely customize the way they blink.

The reverse lights will normally be 'dim' but I'll have 'high' and strobe triggers up front.

Here's a very early prototype of it using a smaller 28pin controller:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpeS-HkaYHU

I have more inputs and outputs to play with aswell.. and I can hook my laptop up to the micro to add to the program I wrote for it... I'm thinking down the road I may add a couple mics for L and R and have the sequential signals act like amplitude indicators for volume.. along with some brake and reverse light strobing to go with the beat.

Last edited:

KingSmono

Enlightened
Thanks. I'm using a 40pin micro controller that controls everything, marker brightness level, reverse brightness level, brake brightness level, and controls the individual rates at which the sequential signal lights fade on and fade off to completely customize the way they blink.

The reverse lights will normally be 'dim' but I'll have 'high' and strobe triggers up front.

Here's a very early prototype of it using a smaller 28pin controller:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpeS-HkaYHU

I have more inputs and outputs to play with aswell.. and I can hook my laptop up to the micro to add to the program I wrote for it... I'm thinking down the road I may add a couple mics for L and R and have the sequential signals act like amplitude indicators for volume.. along with some brake and reverse light strobing to go with the beat.

Haha, wild. I love the turn-signals.

Gryloc

Enlightened
VanIsleDSM,

I really think that what you put together is really great. Good job with the construction and the execution!

However, I have checked through this thread several times before and I am a bit in disbelief of some of the numbers that you presented. When I see two of your figures, something goes into red alert in my brain. It bugged me for some time, but I did not know if I would sound like a jerk by bringing it up.

First of all, I believe that the total lumen output of this cluster is too high. Secondly, I feel the same about the efficiency numbers that you came up with (which gives you the high lumen figures). I believe that you just used the lumen figure that you got from the eBay seller that you got the 5-die Super Flux emitters from. First of all, it is very hard to trust some of the information presented on eBay about popular imported electronic goods. Typically, the unknown brand of through-hole LEDs that you get there (the typical 5mm, super-flux phirana style, and "super"10mm LEDs) are sold by salesmen or saleswomen, and not by engineers. They are certinly not sold on eBay by the original designers and electrical engineers. How credible are the eBay sellers? Sure most figures are based from factory specsheets, but still how do those figures compare in accuracy to those from major manufacturers like Cree, Seoul Semiconductor, Lumileds, etc?

As a eBay buyer, you often have to believe the specs that they give you, since it is usually the only source that it can be found. Some products can be researched for more info, but if you do not know the brand name of the LED, then you have to take what you see on eBay.

Anyway, the main reason that red flags went up was the lumen figure on the eBay LEDs. I think that you had it listed as 25lm on your original post at one time before you may have cleaned things up in a update. Still, 1000 / 38 = 26.3lm each. That seem rather high for a low-power, epoxy encased LED emitter. From memory, the through hole LEDs that you can get now do not have the highest lm/W efficiency compared to the latest generation XR-Es, Seoul P4s, Rebels, etc. Due to the lack of heatsinking, they degrade due to higher temperatures easily. Through hole LEDs used to be pretty efficient, but that was when comparing them to yesterday's high-power emitters (such as the Luxeon I, V, and then III) that operated at under 30lm/W at their rated currents.

Anyway, I also remembered reading through a thread called "White LED Lumen Testing" (created by jtr1962) a while back, and I read about many of the greatest through hole LEDs that were available (and still are, of course). Here is the link:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/89607

I end up running back in to that thread every now and then, and I re-read the old posts, as well as read the latest ones. When seeing your special 25lm super-flux LEDs from eBay, I immediately thought of this thread. Go ahead and have a look. You will see a few mediocre emitters, some not so good ones (the standard quality ones, I believe), then you see the cream of the crop LEDs. Read through the efficiency comparisons and see how lumen output of each compare. It is quite interesting!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Okay... I created a few tables to make my point clearer. I show pictures of the tables below.

What I did was look at the few best LEDs presented on the graphs found on jtr1962's thread, then I looked at the very worse (which you may say are your standard emitters, maybe). For the "best", I picked out the best 4-die LED, the best (and only) 2-die LED, and the best single die LED emitter (which was a premium part). For the "worst", I picked the worst single die LED and the worst 4-die LED on the graph. I found the luminous efficiencies each emitter when the die, or each die, was at 20mA. Your LEDs were rated for 100mA (20mA per parrallel configured die). Just for comparison, I did take the figures for when the multi-die LEDs were operating at a total of 20mA. This will show you how good the efficiency could be if every die was underdriven below specs. I also found the luminous flux of each (the lumen output) from one of the graphs.

Check it out in this picture. Download them if you would like:

Make sure everything looks fine. If something looks wrong or out of place, please comment on that. Thanks. Also, check out the notes at the bottom of the above picture.

With this data, we can clearly see that for a typical emitter part (like yours), even 75lm/W would be a stretch, unless you are really underdriving your emitters. Once things heat up, and as the LEDs get old (which the through hole emitters do at a faster rate than power LEDs), the luminous flux will decrease a bit.

Below, you will see where the luminous efficiency of the above parts will have a role in the total lumen output. You will also see, if you would be using these premium or typical LED dies, that the total wattage consumed by the LEDs, when expelled as heat, is pretty high! Let us construct a five-die LED from the above figures, then build a single 38 LED cluster like yours...

It seems like the 25lm LEDs you got are either some of the highest quality parts available, or the original documentation was not the most correct. I believe that a 600 to 700 lumen estimate for each of your clusters would be more realistic, but you should test them some how (or compare them with a known source) so there isn't any pure guessing. 1200-1400lm in a wide 100 degree beam is still very bright, but I have a feeling like someone is being mislead (you from the eBay sellers, or even the viewers of this thread). I hate to see anyone use information that is not the most accurate. I do not want to bring out the b and the s word out since you probably didn't know that the lumen figure couldn't 100% correct.

By the way, look at the output wattages (as heat) from the above table. 6W to 10W to dissipate in tiny leads and copper foil, acrylic plastic, and fiberglass circuit board seems risky to me! With enough surface area, and some slight airflow, I bet that the whole package can stay just "warm" and not hot. I worry if you will have these confined in a tiny plastic housing. If you have any questions about the formula I used, just asked. It is a common formula that many use here and there on the CPF to see what the overall efficiency of their white LED is. The 320lm/W was a general number thrown around by many that, I believe, represented the maximum theoretical efficiency of a cool white LED.

Oh yeah, if these LEDs are the "Best Hong Kong" LEDs, or like them, then look them up on jtr1962's thread. I seen some there, even if they are not the 5-die phirana versions. They should be the same low power dies used in yours.

I also wanted to say that "Power LEDs" would work as well, if not better. They are often more efficient than the through hole LEDs, even at 350mA, which can consume less power (overall) depending on the number of emitters used. Prices are pretty cheap from DX and KD (same range as buying 60 or so of the super-flux LEDs). Plus, color and lumen maintenance is much better with these power LEDs; they can handle higher temperatures safely, too! With more room for a thin aluminum plate instead of a circuit board, you can get enough material to spread out the heat and keep it cool enough for how long it will stay on. If you only need 600lm to 700lm to maybe compare to your current 38 LED cluster, then you will need even fewer, meaning far less heat than when having to produce 1000lm.

So, I do not want to sound like an *** by trying to raise a warning about your figures. I hope it doesn't seem that way by this long post and tables. I just wanted to make sure that I had all my facts semi-straight before presenting it (in as clear of fashion as possible -evident by the length of this post). Again, if anyone sees any error in my numbers or logic, or something is flat out wrong, please tell me. If you did have a little error in your numbers, and it is corrected, just ask and I can even clean this post up so it doe not look like an ugly scar. :p

--------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, with all of that in the open, I do have some questions. I know this thing is killer bright, even if it is mostly flood, but how does it compare to you existing reverse lights, or even your headlights with a diffusing paper over the fronts? Have you tried to compare the output to anything else, just to show its great magnitude of brightness? I do like the electonics that you used to make it fade and stuff, but is it a PWM circuit alone, or is there any current regulation?

Everything looks great, and keep up the good work. I hope that you post more pictures of the finished product, or when they are in use in a parking lot. Thanks for sharing!

-Tony

Note: I accidentally posted this into the wrong thread, so I corrected everything. I guess the thread names did look alike. It didn't help that I had several windows open. :eek:

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
I believe that you just used the lumen figure that you got from the eBay seller that you got the 5-die Super Flux emitters from. First of all, it is very hard to trust some of the information presented on eBay about popular imported electronic goods. Typically, the unknown brand of through-hole LEDs that you get there (the typical 5mm, super-flux phirana style, and "super"10mm LEDs) are sold by salesmen or saleswomen, and not by engineers. They are certinly not sold on eBay by the original designers and electrical engineers. How credible are the eBay sellers?

I did no such thing.. I'm very aware of heightened claims made by ebay sellers. I had never seen lumen ratings on standard 20mA dies before.. I know lower drive currents are generally better for efficiency, so I thought 75 lumen/W would be quite conservative... it appears it not conservative, but more 'right on' after seeing the info you've posted.. The vast majority of the LEDs tested in the link you provide are totally outdated.. and there is no test for the LED I'm using. Which is identical to the BHK 5chip LEDs.. I'm sure they come from the same manufacturer.

600 lumen would be ~45 lumen/W, a gross understatement for new cool white LEDs.

By the way, look at the output wattages (as heat) from the above table. 6W to 10W to dissipate in tiny leads and copper foil, acrylic plastic, and fiberglass circuit board seems risky to me! With enough surface area, and some slight airflow, I bet that the whole package can stay just "warm" and not hot. I worry if you will have these confined in a tiny plastic housing. If you have any questions about the formula I used, just asked. It is a common formula that many use here and there on the CPF to see what the overall efficiency of their white LED is. The 320lm/W was a general number thrown around by many that, I believe, represented the maximum theoretical efficiency of a cool white LED.

The heat dissipation of the resistors and the LEDs was already figured out earlier in the thread. 9W. Have you ever worked with these LEDs before? from your statements I assume you must not have.

The leads are all coper and quite large, with flares at the top, there is no 'copper foil' ..more like a large chunk right under the junction that conducts heat out through the leads.. into larger than usual gobs of solder, and then into purposely designed long leads to the resistors... I'm away from home right at for work.. I'll be away a few weeks, I'll be doing thermocouple testing when I get back to get actual numbers, but I can tell you right now, it doesn't get hot, barely warm cupping the whole thing in my hands..

I also wanted to say that "Power LEDs" would work as well, if not better. They are often more efficient than the through hole LEDs, even at 350mA, which can consume less power (overall) depending on the number of emitters used. Prices are pretty cheap from DX and KD (same range as buying 60 or so of the super-flux LEDs).

That was already discussed as well, while buying P4 emitters in bulk can compare for price if run at 1 amp, they are far less efficient than my setup at that current level, I would be dealing with quite a bit more heat. Running them at 350mA each I could get 71 lumen/W. Without hard figures we can't say for sure.. but in my half educated opinion (I have P4s and these SF style white LEDs) these are right around the same efficiency if run at that low current.. but then I'd need more emitters, driving up the price far more than double what I paid. That is not the only factor.. higher power LEDs have huge changes in current from slight changes in voltage. I would need to use constant current drivers for the LEDs.. and because each one isn't equipped with it's own little heatsink like the 5chip ones.. that's another expense, and more complication... not that I'm afraid of that.. my main reason for choosing this route was the look I was after.. my tailights use lumileds SF LEDs for brake and turn signals, I wanted to stick with the same LED package (which is designed for much better for heat dissipation than a standard 5mm package) for reverse lights.

I just remembered something! I have some comparison pics of 4 100mA 5chip LEDs vs 1 CREE Q5 @ 1000mA... That's 1.4W vs 3.5W of CREE. I almost forgot about this.. only thing is I'm on this horrendous connection from the middle of nowhere right now.. and it's going to take me forever to download the photos to my computer to resize them and upload them again to the image host.. damn this 800 pixel limit..

Give me an hour or 2

Last edited:

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
4x 100mA (1.4W)
SF03.jpg

CREE Q5 @1000mA (3.5W)
CREE01.jpg

4x 100mA (1.4W) 4' from board
SFat4feet.jpg

CREE Q5 @1000mA (3.5W) 4' from board
CREEat4feet.jpg

You can see that the CREE is brighter as you would definitely expect, but did you expect 4 of these to hold up that well? (CREE is mounted on a big heatsink)

The 100mA LEDs used here were from the first batch I ordered, they are very white as you can see, a very slight green I suppose... the second batch I ordered from a different seller were more blue.. but also quite noticeably brighter too! (these are the ones I used in my reverse lights)

When I get home I'll do some comparison shots of 10 100mA LEDs to the Q5 CREE, then we will see watt to watt how it compares.. but judging from these pics.. I think 10 of these will beat a Q5, and that would mean 225lumen+ /10 = at least 22.5 lumen each, which would still be a 855lumen minimum.. we shall see in a few weeks.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do the side shots look so different but the flat-on shots look so similar?

Edit - the flat-on shots are taken from a different angle, I note. :sigh:

Last edited:

Gryloc

Enlightened
VanIsleDSM,

Okay. I was not sure if you took the ratings from eBay seriously or not. To tell you the truth, I am very sorry for the way I acted. I, for some reason, gauged your knowledge on LEDs and how to drive them based on your experience strictly here on CPF (by the number of your posts). That was a stupid thing to do! It seems like there was such a huge rush of new members on here for the past several months, and plenty of the ones that I encountered were extreme beginners who were a bit overconfident in their abilities, or they were willing to spread false lumen ratings from certain companies like they were the only correct measurements. I understand that there are always new members here who are experienced electrical engineers and hobbyists that know their ways around LEDs. For those that are noobs, it is natural (although a little irritating) to be on the bottom of the learning hill. I was there, of course!

I think that I jumped on this too quick, too. I guess that I did not read your thread well enough to see exactly what you did (too much skimming). I was just unsure if you used bogus figures or not (like from ebay). Also, it was hard to give the proper tone in my post through text. I was just saying all that mostly out of curiosity, with the aim for the truth. I hoped that you did not read my post as if it said "Your totally wrong; no way!". The way I was thinking and feeling was "okay, but are you 100% sure?" I am worried if I came of as a jerk. So again, sorry.

Please do not take those numbers in those charts as exactly what you were getting. I was just comparing the best and worst from some LED samples that were easily accessible from the writer of that thread. He tested normal samples with a good method to measure luminous flux of each emitter. It is the only source for information that detailed on the standard (and premium) acrylic-encased through-hole LEDs that I could find. Even though most of the LEDs were older, some were newer (from last summer). That premium LED that broke records was from March 2007 (not too long ago). Even if they were older, does not mean that the technology is totally outdated, either. I do not know of the progress of typical through-hole LED technology, but I know that it cannot be moving as fast as new high power LEDs. LED technology, even though it seems like it is improving fast, is still kind of slow. The Rebel 0100 from this summer is still one heck of an efficient emitter. I could be totally wrong about the advancement of through-hole LEDs.

So, again, I was just comparing with some known LEDs from known sources. I hoped that you seen the entire spread of performance with these comparisons to see how yours fit in. You never know if the LEDs you ordered were not sitting on the shelf of the warehouse since the past summer or even last winter. They could have been value LEDs, or cutting edge ones for a good price. I have no clue.

In addition, those charts were made just to show you what could be made. I was asking, "What if?" when I simulated making a 5-die LED based off of the performance from a 4-die, 2-die, and single die emitters. I was not telling you how bright your lights were. The 600lm to 700lm was just my guess based on what I though was easily available from ebay LEDs. The same goes for the power measurements. I was hoping that you picked up on that. I took efficiency and luminous flux data to see if I could extrapolate wattage figures. Then with those numbers, I used the efficiency data again to find out the amount of watts that were turned into heat. I know that you gave your wattage figures and they were different. Again, the numbers I gave were not for your LEDs.

With that said, was the Vf of 3.5V that you gave the average Vf of every LED measured with a multimeter? I was just curious how you found the Vf. Knowing the exact amount of power consumed is helpful to determine whether the efficiency is close or not. No matter how close the 75lm/W is from reality, that number is still pulled out of the air. I can see how it may fit. Anyway, 3.5V for 5 parallel dies at 20mA each just seemed high; it sounds like a power LED at their rated currents. For the total power draw, you said that it was 13.3W after a quick calculation. Did you ever measure both the forward voltage and the current at the same time? I seen that you measured current when they were cold and when they were hot, but current only tells half of the story.

You said that you measured the current when cold to be 1.56A and when hot, 1.85A. Now, if the the current increases that much (while the power consumed stays about the same when cold and hot), then that means that the Vf is dropping like a rock due to heat. With the case temperatures (sensed by touching the outside) being only warm does not mean that the junction temperatures of the dies are not sky high. Plastic (clear acrylic in this case) is a poor conductor of heat.

At first, I though you used cheap RadioShack prototyping board :eek: (hence the thin, foil-like copper traces). If you are using a circuit board with a heavier weight copper, it would make me feel a little better. However, even if you are only burning 9W of heat, that is still a lot of heat to dissipate through just copper pads, solder, and tin-coated copper LED leads (whether that are beefy or narrow). Is there anything that is different between your 4 lead LEDs and the typical phirana-style, 4 lead, super-flux LED? I have a load (4 Seoul P4s) epoxied to a nice mass of aluminum here, and when I run them at around 9W (with less of that dissipated as heat, of course), the heatsink gets really hot. A 5W load (a cree XR-E at 1.3A) on an old Pentium II heatsink still makes the heatsink get hot.

Of course, you may have better heatsinking than I thought. I have two LED clusters that use 18 of Lumileds K2 emitters (back when the T-binned ones were "hot" -ha ha). When each would run at 1A, the whole cluster would consume a total of 70W :green:. Boy those things are inefficient! Well, they are attached to a decent sized heatsink (about 1.5 times the size of a larger Intel P4 heatsink), and they also have a small fan that moves the air some. The thing still takes over 10 minutes to start getting warm. I guess there are a lot of factors to consider when guessing how well something can dissipate heat.

Boy, this is getting long. I guess I will wrap up here. Do you know that it hurts to hear you ask if I have ever worked with LEDs before. I have been around power LEDs for several years and I have modified a good amount of flashlights, as well as create several custom power LED lighting devices. Sure, my first was a bit shoddy, but learned about specifics on how LEDs perform in different conditions, and how they react to differences in current and temperature. I hope that you knew that I used that formula just to find the actual efficiency of the LED, which is the percentage of the total power consumption used to create strictly light. The rest would be burned off as heat. Maybe that formula is not used that often. Again, that maximum efficiency of 320lm/W that I used is debated upon. Some feel that it is higher, some say it may be in the 280's. Also, I was still comparing those samples of LEDs, not yours.

I agree that there is plenty to read here. I feel like I left some things out, too! Even if you skim through all of above, just read this... I guess I can condense my main concerns/questions some. I would really like to see both the forward voltage and current measurements taken at the same time, whether hot or cold. How are the LEDs hooked up (how many in series and parrallel)? How can you be sure that each LED is exactly 75lm/W without tests? Same with being sure that this produces 1000lm of light per cluster (without solid data). I ask all this to see how the data fits together. So far, data measured from you seems to be spread thin. The more data you present, the better we can see the entire picture. Each cluster may be consuming less power than you think, meaning, with xx lm/W, that less light is produced. Maybe it is the other way around. Lm/W efficiency can be thrown off by a large amount depending on the Vf of each LED. For example, those record breaking LED had the high efficiency because of the very low Vf of 3.05V.

I am glad you are taking time to answer my questions. Thanks for that. Without the basic measured data presented, I find it a little hard to believe that a cluster of super-flux through-hole LEDs (even though there may be 38 of them) can produce that many lumens of light. I hope to hear back from you, but if you are on trip, please do not stress over something minor like this on an internet forum. I can wait until your return...

-Tony

Oh yeah. I thought that this valuable information would be pretty helpful for you for your fog light project, or any future projects. These are tests done by some very knowledgeable members of the CPF on various power LEDs. I like to collect data like this because it is so incredibly useful. I have used them in the planning of several different projects so far. Enjoy...

Cree XR-E P4 (post #63 & #74) by jtr1962:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/89607&page=3

Cree XR-E Q4 (this sample had an unusually high Vf):
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/172379

Seoul Semiconductor P4 U-bin (post #103) by jtr 1962:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/89607&page=4

Lumileds Rebel 0100 (post #127), Cree XR-E P4 Warm White (post #139), Cree XR-E Q5 (post #141), by jtr1962:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/89607&page=5

Lumileds Rebel 0100 (by Newbie -picture intensive!):
http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/rebel.htm

Lumileds Rebel 0100 (by evan9162):
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/169547

Lumileds TFFC K2 0180 & 0160 production samples (post #33):
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/171365&page=2

Lumileds TFFC K2 0160 engineering sample:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/169547

The Lumileds Luxeon V vs. the K2. Both of various bins (post #10):
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/177740

Newbie's website. Has old Cree XR-E P3 evaluation and tests on a batch of an Seoul Semiconductor P4 engineering samples (T & U-bin - back when they had blue-shifting issues). Warning: there are a lot of big pictures at this site!:
Cree XR-E P3: http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/creexre.htm
Seoul P4 T & U bin: http://www.molalla.net/~leeper/seoulmy.htm

Gryloc

Enlightened
VanIsleDSM,

I posted that without seeing your pictures (it took me too long). Could you later do a ceiling bounce in a room with white ceilings and/or white walls? That would better show the lumen output since all of the light from every angle will contribute to the reflected light. As for taking a picture of that, I suppose you can take a picture of some lighter colored and detailed object (bookshelf, counter top, etc). You cannot directly compare the beams by shining them both at a wall 4ft away since they have different beam angles (the cree has a narrower beam angle). It would work when comparing different XR-Es or different super-flux LEDs, but not any mix. We are trying to compare lumen output, and not just the beam intensity in the center of the spot. Also, is your camera in manual mode? Hopefully they have the same amperature and shutter speed between shots. Sorry if I sound picky, because I am :grin2:. In all seriousness, I just want to keep things as scientific as possible. I see people do ceiling bounces quite a bit to compare their lights. Later...

-Tony

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
I tried to respond to Torchboy last night.. posting a smaller picture makes the difference more apparent.. but I couldn't get it to work at the time.. I wish I had an all white room.. are there some good posts in here that explain testing technique?

It's 100 degrees compared to 90, not a huge difference, but I see your point.. I imagine a better way would be for me to build light box and buy a light meter.. may well do that when I get home.

Then I will compare 10 of the whiter versions, and 10 of the bluer more intense ones to a CREE Q5 in some acceptable fashion.

These are wired in series of 2 from 9V regulators, optional PWM dimming and strobing action.

In the post I tried to make to answer Torchboy I mentioned that I was not sure what mode I had the camera on... was near the time I got it and I know for a while I thought shutter mode did the job.. I now know better than that.. but I'm not sure if I had learned my lesson before or after those photos. I promise I'll do some solid testing in a few weeks.. I'm anxious to see the results.

I didn't take any offense to your post, don't worry about it. Nor did I mean to offend you.. I only specifically asked if you had worked with these LEDs.

I dunno where I said it.. but I mentioned somewhere that after I did the temp testing with a thermocouple I may thermal epoxy a heatsink to the resistors.. that will help draw heat out of the array.. Possibly I will drill a hole into the cathode base from below on an LED and test the temp right on the coper below the the junction.

How well does an IR thermometer work to measure junction temp? pointing right through the dome.. ?

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any hint as to which seller sold you the brighter LEDs? I'd like to get some myself.

Also, need some white T5s that aren't those purplelish colors and dim considerably after a week at max rated current.

I've got bit by junk ebay LEDs, who's the reliable ebay seller?

VanIsleDSM

Enlightened
if you just search for 100mA LED you'll see them all..

optogiftcenter was the seller with the whiter, though not quite as bright LEDs, got a pack of 30.

TopBright was the seller I bought the next batch off of, because I wanted 100, theirs were more blue, but brighter..

These LEDs all come from the same manufacturer.. these are just different batches that each seller has.. may have changed by now, but I'd think not..