2005 to 2017, An older “Flashaholics” Retrospective

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
That is the truth! I remember when I got the Fenix P1 (LUX III I think) and marveled how such a small light could have so much output! Now I have similar sized lights that can reach the 500 lumen mark and even more with li-ions.
I remember the first time fenix showed up on the forums. Their claims seems like standard over inflation of stats. I figured they would be quickly forgotten. But then the reviews came through and they were not really lying!

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember the first time fenix showed up on the forums. Their claims seems like standard over inflation of stats. I figured they would be quickly forgotten. But then the reviews came through and they were not really lying!

LOL I was remembering exactly the same feeling about Fenix when they first showed up.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Interesting thread Zes, thanks for the perspective.

I used Maglites for a long time, and bought one of the first LED upgrade bulbs. It was blue.

For me, one of the worst things about that era, other than low lumens, was having to conserve battery usage. Going from standard to alkaline when Duracells came out seemed like a big advancement, although the price jumped also. Replace Ds in a 5 or 6 cell light a couple times and it equaled the price of the light ... and you start turning it off when you don't really need it. For me, moving to rechargeable AAs, and then 18650s was huge.

I hadn't thought about how quickly the LED explosion really evolved, but it sure is nice.

JT

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Replace Ds in a 5 or 6 cell light a couple times and it equaled the price of the light ... and you start turning it off when you don't really need it. For me, moving to rechargeable AAs, and then 18650s was huge.
JT

That's exactly what happened to me, the moment my Mags all went into a drawer.
They're still there, and you've just reminded me why they stay in there.
P