2005 to 2017, An older “Flashaholics” Retrospective

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I joined in 2006, a 40-lumen led light was considered "tactical".

bykfixer

Flashaholic
When I joined in 015 folks were jumping for joy over 600 lumens and 350 was pretty normal. Turbo was on purpose and the question was how long until it stepped down, but it was well known it was turbo mode.

The incan section had become like a Roses department store where a few visited here n there. Sometimes quests for which bulb replaced the Carly this or that.

Today folks yawn at only a thousand lumens, turbo is no longer turbo but is considered "high" mode while it lasts so makers can claim massive numbers and the incan section is visited much more often for nostalgic purposes where folks pull out there old this or that and talk about the great output it had way back then.

Even drug store flashlights are CNC made numbers that can outdo what was amazing just a few years ago. Although in the big scheme of things I'm a novice, I've seen big changes in my little time here. But my favorite reads are threads like this.

ven

Flashaholic
I do have a fondness for older lights, got bit a little by the surefire bug of old, also those awesome little lights called novatac. Admittedly my classic surefires have a twist of modern inside, but thats the beauty of the p60 format. If i want incand i can have it, if i want throw,flood or anything in between........i can have it

This lumapower of old has a 219c 4000k inside..........love it
w3krXS6l.jpg

Surefire's have all kinds going on
H1UTiVRl.jpg

Stripped ano 120 has a very nice 219b 4000k, gold SPA has a 219c 5000k

QMJzhfzl.jpg

Old lights are cool, there is nothing out today in a similar size category that i would prefer to an m2 in design. Too add, z2/c2 and the classic 6p.
XTbf7pZl.jpg

Boris74

Newly Enlightened
In 05 I got a LED Lenser V2 3aaa 80 lumen flashlight. It destroyed my 6P and made it look like a joke. Brighter and way longer battery life. I still have it and it's survived over 30,000 rounds of 5.56mm mounted on various 5.56 weapons. Also survived two tours with this 11B. It is beat up but it still cranks out them 6P destroying lumens and longer battery life. In 2011 I decided to get a surefire Backup (my first and only LED surefire). The 6P and backup are both gone. Both broke and the surefire LED threw in the towel earlier this year. The LED Lenser is still going strong. Great light I've got lots of use from.

Since 2011 I've only bought cheaper but still good lights like the energized hardcase on rare occasions if I needed something else.

This year I redid all my lights to rechargeable or able to use rechargeable batteries. Just since 2011 things are so much better and I'm not even seeking out tech nerd specs on lights. The MT10A I have now that's about the size of the V2 is more than 10x brighter with 5x the battery life at the same lumens mode.

Before 05 it was surefire or maglite. Now it's streamlight, olight and Nitecore in my stable and they all are so much better than even 2011 when I last looked at lights for serious work. I looked at surefire again but they are stuck in 2011. Their so called industry redefining renovations today look like they think no one else makes lights. So I went with other brands. Good lights but I don't want to be stuck in 2011 five years from now when I get new lights to replace old worn out ones, or still in 2011 if (big if, I never got more than 5-6 years from a surefire) the surefire was still working.

Im still looking at various weapon lights, lots to look at these days and sort through. Right now I'm still rocking a Rogers Rail with a microstream. It works and it's a robust little light. It's going to be tough because that means new holsters. That Rogers Rail slips on so easy. I'll probably just get the microstream usb when it's available in January. 250 lumens compared to the 30ish right now in the same package. It looks like it will end up fitting, looks to be the same dimensions. I'll have to see if it holds op to recoil and hard use before it's put into service though. What better reason to get a new light, right?

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luxeon I l.e.d.s with the light color lottery.
OMG, I had totally forgotten that whole fiasco.

Princeton Tec Matrix headlight which cost around $40 and had a l.e.d. module probably less than 15 lumens and an incandescent module that was brighter but burned through batteries fast.
still have one of those around in a box.

Then came the Luxeon K2 l.e.d. that broke 80 lumens but used a lot of power.
I think more of my older lights are K2 than anything else with the Nichia "Jupiter" emitters running a close second.

The game changer was the Cree XR-E
No question on that!

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hell yeah... or then you got the 120 lumen upgrade... and it sucked down batteries like Dracula would have gone through the Miss America pageant.

Right on. If I was feeling froggy and money was good, I might even put the 200 lumen module in the 9P. It would take a full box of primaries to sustain that for one hour, but my nerves were tingling with excitement!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
... hmm was wrong on dates
;)

exciting years - when white led moved from signaling to illumination devices ...

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who remembers the Fenix L 2p with Nekomane body?

Wish I had kept that one.

Great thread. It has been quite a ride for us old timers. I still hope to hold or even own McLux Pd one day:)

Funny that you bring up the Nekomane body. I remember placing an order for the L2P and I looked at the body but didn't order it. I got a call from David asking if I was trying to order the part and that it was not in stock at the time (there were apparently problems with the site). I told him something to the effect that I wasn't that "into" lights to spend $20 on just a body.:stupid:Fast forward, I lost count of how many lights since then and I just spent $20 on a strike bezel for the Paladin/Knight series that I will use mostly just to enhance the looks of the light.:p :crackup:Not the biggest spender here on CPF but I think how silly that was considering where I am now! :ohgeez:

At least I still have the L2P!

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
... hmm was wrong on dates
;)

Thought it was a little later than 2004. Not sure when modders were able to get their hands on them but I think the first production lights didn't hit the market here in the U.S. until late 2005 early 2006. The Fenix P1D CE and Lumapower Dmini were the first two XRE lights I remember hearing about.

edit: I started lurking CPF in 2005 IIRC but it was a while before I joined and started posting.

Last edited:

Elmie

Enlightened
Been around since 2001...

Was there even the photon yet in 2001? L O L

I remember when Peter started posting here and arc was born, wow those were exciting times! Also the 1 year wait or was it longer for the HDS ultimate 60 in 2005, still have that light and it was quite amazing at the time.

Been through enough drama in this place lol. Never been a huge flashlight collector, but this place has made me spend a few $$$. Without a forum like this a lot of custom lights would never have seen the light...

I don't post much and try not to come because it costs me money. My last acquisition was a tri-v 3b. Hope the wife never sees the credit card statement :)

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't post much and try not to come because it costs me money. My last acquisition was a tri-v 3b. Hope the wife never sees the credit card statement :)
LOL I know what you mean. I came back and what do I do but order a Klarus G35 (YIKES)

UVvis

Enlightened
All hail the MAG85.

A 100+ lumen single alkaline cell light would have been treated like sci-fi.

Minimag 2xAA with a mjled!

Somewhere I have a minimag with a drop in lux1 that has amazing tint for today's standards.

What gets me, is that after all this, modern lights just give me better runtime, as I about never use high output lights aside from gun stuff.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The mighty M6 ruled and the Nichia 5mm LED came in two colors, blue or cat urine green!

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Showed up in 2004 and have fond memories of Mr. Bulk (innovative control of light level), McGizmo ( great Alpha series that allowed interchangeable Surfire E series and the PD and titanium creations) TnC ( great machining and small lights, I still have quite a few), along came The Spy 005 ( still my favorite).
Forum was a lot about light modifications and Customs from my perspective.
Somehow I got old, but feel young and still prefer the lights from that era!!

Burgess

Flashaholic
Great thread here !

lovecpf

As a (now) 64 year old Flashaholic,
I've gotta' give a Big Thumbs Up to
Sanyo / Panasonic Eneloop batteries ! ! !

Having rechargeable AA's, with
Low Self Discharge is truly a Miracle !

Now, I can always have a
* Fully-Charged battery *
every time I use a flashlight !

No more wondering:

" How much life remains in my Alkalines " ?
( or even carbon-zinc ! )

" Should I change them now " ?

" What if my batteries LEAK " ?

Eneloops were Truly a big Game Changer !

I always enjoy seeing just how far
we've progressed in our flashlight
technology.

Heck --
I well remember the days of
2-cell D battery powered,
PR-2 bulb standard flashlights,
putting out perhaps 13 Lumens
on new carbon-zinc cells !

The Silver Cat Eveready,
Ray-O-Vac, and Burgess !
< wink >

Oh, and no more PR-2 bulbs
* Blackening with Use * !

You youngsters will hafta' Google that !

:whistle:
_

Burgess

Flashaholic
Oh, and I want to add --

I well remember how we would need
to * SMACK * our 2-D cell flashlights
in order to "encourage" them to turn on !

< heh heh >

So glad THOSE days are Gone !
:-D

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The mighty M6 ruled and the Nichia 5mm LED came in two colors, blue or cat urine green!

I bought my M6 from a local gun shop for something in the neighborhood of $500. The sales guy tried to talk me out of it!

Most of the time I used the 250 lumen lamp assembly, but some occasions were special enough to burn six cells on the 500 lumen version. Those were like flashaholic black tie affairs.

offroadcmpr

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure I still have my 2D sized mag85 underneath my bed. I haven't used it in years. When 60 lumens was considered bright, and 100 lumens was extremely bright, having a 500 lumen light was amazing. You had to buy an aftermarket aluminum reflector and glass lens because the bulb would quickly melt the stock plastic ones. Battery life was all of 15 minutes.
Now 500 lumens can be easily done on a light with 1/10th the weight and with much longer run times. We are definitely spoiled now.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure I still have my 2D sized mag85 underneath my bed. I haven't used it in years. When 60 lumens was considered bright, and 100 lumens was extremely bright, having a 500 lumen light was amazing. You had to buy an aftermarket aluminum reflector and glass lens because the bulb would quickly melt the stock plastic ones. Battery life was all of 15 minutes.
Now 500 lumens can be easily done on a light with 1/10th the weight and with much longer run times. We are definitely spoiled now.

That is the truth! I remember when I got the Fenix P1 (LUX III I think) and marveled how such a small light could have so much output! Now I have similar sized lights that can reach the 500 lumen mark and even more with li-ions.