2014 Lupine lights - Betty TL2 with 4500 lumens! :)

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two in the 3.3Ah battery

Thanks!
Betty TL2S runs off 2x18650 in series, 7.2V 3.3Ah, and produces 4500 ANSI lumens? Must be 6A current draw from each cell then. Each XM-L2 emitter emitting 750lm (750x6 = 4500). And flashlight weighs 290grams only including the ~140g accupack? 30mins runtime on highest mode.

This light is smaller than SX25L3 which weighs ~460g including 3x18650 and produces 2375 ANSI lumens.

Erh. I think Lupine is now technology leader. Beats Zebralight, Armytek, Eagletac, Foursevens, just anybody else!

a.lber.to

Newly Enlightened
Shelm, bear in mind that mine is just speculation in terms of the number of cells in each battery.

I am assuming that given the 7.2V, the batteries must be wired in serial pairs. Therefore, with a 3.3Ah stated capacity and knowing they use 3400mAh cells, this would indicate only two cells. If you then consider that the outer diameter of their battery tube is 39mm, and that the diameter of a 18650 cell is normally 18mm, I do not see how they could be fitting four of them in that space - counting the outer wall thickness, two side-by-side would barely fit as it is. Hence my assumption that there would only be two cells in there... but maybe I am wrong?

If you look at their website, you will see that they do have battery packs with cells arranged in multiples of 4, but these have a square section and are rated double the Ah...

Last edited:

a.lber.to

Newly Enlightened
Erh. I think Lupine is now technology leader. Beats Zebralight, Armytek, Eagletac, Foursevens, just anybody else!

I would suppose that this depends on how long the Betty TL2-S manages to stay in 45W mode before kicking down to 34W (which is still a respectable 3500 lumen!) for thermal management...

From the Betty TL-2 user guide:
"The ambient temperature and the use of high power levels can reduce power to the LEDs, thus reducing their brightness, to avoid overheating the LEDs and other electronics. The actual reduction is indicated by the status LEDs: e.g., after a certain period of time, 4 of the 5 blue status LEDs will be lit, indicating that the power has been reduced from 45W in order to protect the unit from heat damage."

I should be able to tell you more next week, once I receive mine.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shelm, bear in mind that mine is just speculation in terms of the number of cells in each battery.
[h=2]Batterytank 3.3 Ah[/h]Material CNC-milled, aluminum 6061-T6, shot-peen

Battery 7.2V 3.3Ah

watt hours 24Wh

Dimensions (ØxL) 39 x 79mm

Weight 145g

Protection class IP 68 (waterproofness ), IK 09 (impact strength)

Highcurrent 3C

Cell type Panasonic NCR18650B

PCB Reversible cuttoff at short circuit, overvoltage, undervoltage

Proper for Betty TL2, Betty TL, Wilma TL, Tesla TL

Central contact hard golden plated

1 cell weighs ~50g, so the accupack cannot contain 3 cells (150g > 145g). 4 cells no way. 2 cells should be correct. I am looking at Betty TL2S 4500lm.

I hope you got a nice discount on it, it's so expensive compared to SX25L3!!

bulbmogul

Enlightened
Ordered mine direct from the factory, and paid full retail unfortunately...
hi there, did you get yours yet..? I am waiting here in the states as i am buying both the Bettry R14 4500 Lumen Bike Light as wel las the Betty TL2 but dont have mine yet. I never heard of Lupine giving big discount on new models of anything..Why would they..?

a.lber.to

Newly Enlightened
I am told it will be shipped at the end of this week, so I should have it at some point next week. I cannot wait! :D

CORRECTION: Just got my UPS shipping notification: yay!!! Should be in my hands by Friday...

Last edited:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never heard of Lupine giving big discount on new models of anything..Why would they..?

because most money is earned by the retailer.
as with all strong brands (i don't consider lupine a strong brand though) in a healthy classic distribution chain, the cost price of the article is between 33% and 50% of the MAP. so if the list price is 545€ incl vat plus shipping, then the dealer may get it for 180-270€ depending on the actual scheme.

well.

never mind. ;)

a.lber.to

Newly Enlightened
While that is certainly true, in most distribution/retail agreements there is a clause which stipulates that if the manufacturer does any direct sales, they will not do so below the normal public recommended retail price, exactly because it would otherwise be too simple for them to undercut their retailers.

bulbmogul

Enlightened
You must be in Europe? US has a holiday on Monday.... Be sure to post your impressions and pics when you receive :)
I am also waiting on mine here in USA, however i did just get in my new Lupine Piko 1200 Lumen Flashlight that you can hide in the palm of your hand..WOW this little duffer is sweat..

bluemax_1

Enlightened

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=de&to=en&a=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.taschenlampen-forum.de%2Flupine%2F26811-lupine-betty-tl2-tl2s-4500-lumen-test-messungen-bilder.html

German review of the TL2S with lots of pics. If you have to have the latest, greatest and brightest (in a comparatively tiny package), this is definitely the light for you. Me, I think at 1/3 - 1/4 the price, I'll stick to my TM26 (and X6) for the time being.

That headlamp on the other hand... I don't think there's ANYONE else producing a headlamp with these brightness levels. Might be the ticket for crazy folks bombing down a mountainside on a downhill bike full tilt at night.

Max

Last edited:

a.lber.to

Newly Enlightened
OK, so I received my Lupine Betty TL2 light yesterday, but I admit that I have had very little time to play around with it. So here are just a few very first impressions...

It is incredibly small, and light. Really. And it is amazingly well built and finished. The whole thing just oozes quality. The precision that the battery threads in with, the fit and finish of all the components, the wonderful Charger One, everything is top notch.

I set it to start with the red light (to allow me to use the light without compromising my night vision by first having to go through a white light level), and then cycle through the 2W, 22W and 45W modes (these last three modes are actually the default levels it comes shipped with). The red light at 0.8W (I would guess around 80 lumen) is bright, and quite pleasant to use. Going from the 2W to the 22W mode is a definite eye opener, FAR more so than going from 22W to 45W. In fact, though logic and physics explain why this would be so, the last step up is surprisingly underwhelming coming from 22W. Bear in mind, however, that I only tried it indoors thus far, and I expect to be pleasantly surprised when I get the opportunity to take it outdoors.

My only gripe with the light, and I feel it is an important one, is that when used indoors at normal room temperature (let's say 22 degrees Celsius), the light is only capable of staying at 45W for a couple of minutes before stepping down to 34W, then again to 28W after a couple more minutes, and then again to 22W. I have yet lo leave it sitting longer to see how low it drops due to thermal control, but given the temperature of the light at that stage (uncomfortable to hold) I suspect it will actually go even lower. This means that unless you live in the arctic, or plan to use it only in blizzard conditions, its usefulness as a hand-held 4500 lumen light is severely limited! Granted, the laws of physics are what they are, so this is to be expected given the small (tiny, really) size/mass of the light, but I suspect that this Lupine 6 x XM-L2 design works much better as a bike- or helmet-mounted light, where the relative wind would give it all the cooling it needs, than as a handheld flashlight (at least at normal ambient temperatures and walking speed).

:sigh:

tonkem

Enlightened
OK, so I received my Lupine Betty TL2 light yesterday, but I admit that I have had very little time to play around with it. So here are just a few very first impressions...

It is incredibly small, and light. Really. And it is amazingly well built and finished. The whole thing just oozes quality. The precision that the battery threads in with, the fit and finish of all the components, the wonderful Charger One, everything is top notch.

I set it to start with the red light (to allow me to use the light without compromising my night vision by first having to go through a white light level), and then cycle through the 2W, 22W and 45W modes (these last three modes are actually the default levels it comes shipped with). The red light at 0.8W (I would guess around 80 lumen) is bright, and quite pleasant to use. Going from the 2W to the 22W mode is a definite eye opener, FAR more so than going from 22W to 45W. In fact, though logic and physics explain why this would be so, the last step up is surprisingly underwhelming coming from 22W. Bear in mind, however, that I only tried it indoors thus far, and I expect to be pleasantly surprised when I get the opportunity to take it outdoors.

My only gripe with the light, and I feel it is an important one, is that when used indoors at normal room temperature (let's say 22 degrees Celsius), the light is only capable of staying at 45W for a couple of minutes before stepping down to 34W, then again to 28W after a couple more minutes, and then again to 22W. I have yet lo leave it sitting longer to see how low it drops due to thermal control, but given the temperature of the light at that stage (uncomfortable to hold) I suspect it will actually go even lower. This means that unless you live in the arctic, or plan to use it only in blizzard conditions, its usefulness as a hand-held 4500 lumen light is severely limited! Granted, the laws of physics are what they are, so this is to be expected given the small (tiny, really) size/mass of the light, but I suspect that this Lupine 6 x XM-L2 design works much better as a bike- or helmet-mounted light, where the relative wind would give it all the cooling it needs, than as a handheld flashlight (at least at normal ambient temperatures and walking speed).

Is the drop down from 4500 lumens to the next level noticeable? I have never noticed my Betty TLS 2600 lumen light step down by any perceivable manner.

Seems I may need to reconsider buying this one, other than the fact that you can program the levels, versus taking what they give you. I really like that. Being that I already have 3 Lupines, Piko X duo 750 lumens, wilma TL at 1100 lumens and Betty TL/S at 2600 lumens...... have an extra battery though just asking for an additional head :)

Mike9028

Enlightened
My only gripe with the light, and I feel it is an important one, is that when used indoors at normal room temperature (let's say 22 degrees Celsius), the light is only capable of staying at 45W for a couple of minutes before stepping down to 34W, then again to 28W after a couple more minutes, and then again to 22W. I have yet lo leave it sitting longer to see how low it drops due to thermal control, but given the temperature of the light at that stage (uncomfortable to hold) I suspect it will actually go even lower. This means that unless you live in the arctic, or plan to use it only in blizzard conditions, its usefulness as a hand-held 4500 lumen light is severely limited! Granted, the laws of physics are what they are, so this is to be expected given the small (tiny, really) size/mass of the light, but I suspect that this Lupine 6 x XM-L2 design works much better as a bike- or helmet-mounted light, where the relative wind would give it all the cooling it needs, than as a handheld flashlight (at least at normal ambient temperatures and walking speed)
Thank you for this information. I live in Phoenix, AZ, one of the hottest places in the world. I will def have to reconsider buying this light, at least in flashlight form.

tonkem

Enlightened
I emailed the guys at Gretna bikes to see if this behavior is normal. Will post back with what they respond with.

bluemax_1

Enlightened

Just out of curiosity, were you hand holding the light or letting it sit during the test? I'm curious as to how much difference hand heatsinking makes.

Max

a.lber.to

Newly Enlightened
A little of both. But when you hold it in your hands, the heat sinking is completely uncovered. However, you are right in thinking that holding it could possibly slightly worsen the situation, because the body of the battery also gets VERY hot (hence it is also acting as a heat sink). If you look at the thermal camera picture in the German review which was linked above, you will see that the area you hold which is closest to the head gets to be well over 50 degrees Celsius...