*2016* ZebraLight SC63 and variants like the SC63w

cmd

Newly Enlightened
Kind of a throwback to the SC60... I think I like it.

cpf-sc63-2.jpg

cpg-sc63.jpg

I'm digging it, really like the curvy middle. It looks like very fine knurling in that area which hopefully will be plenty grippy. I'll reserve final judgment until it is in hand but it looks like it will be nicely comfortable.

Regardless, you have to admire the amount of extra machining that went into this new design. Zebralight went the extra mile on this one and I applaud them for it.

fnsooner

Enlightened
ATM, I don't like or dislike its looks. I am definitely not blown away by it. It looks like a Zebralight and it looks like functionality drove its design. Can't wait to get mine.

markr6

Flashaholic
I was just hoping for some knurling like the others. Looking forward to getting this one, though. Still some decent waiting to do :(

Pretty big gap on the tail cap in their photo. I've always had some on my SC62, but not like that.

Swede74

Enlightened
I only need six words to summarize my thoughts on the new design: Change for the sake of change. And now, a few more to make a mockery of my professed succinctness. I like how they seem to have done away with the lettering. It makes for a sleek, anonymous look that really appeals to me. In another Zebralight thread I even argued that no brand or model number printed on the flashlight may actually increase interest in and awareness of the manufacturer.

uofaengr

Enlightened
Looks like a table leg or an unfinished SC62. Either finish machining some ribs or add some knurling. Not a fan of smooth flashlight bodies at all especially small ones that are harder to hold.

jak

Enlightened
I'm disappointed in how much time I'm spending staring at this light debating whether I like it or not. But it's growing on me. I am curious if branding will be added as well.

I think overall the design is an improvement, functionally speaking. It does seem like it will be easier in and out of the pocket. And I feel like it will be more comfortable to hold. In fact, if you take out your ribbed SC62 and hold it in your hand, and then imagine the middle being smooth, it seems like it could work, without a major sacrifice on grip. I'd wager the smoothness adds to the perception of being smaller as well.

I've never thought Zebralights were all that pretty to look at, so at this point, it's not a bother to me. Excited to get mine!

(Sidenote: It's so annoying this same conversation is taking place on that 50+ page thread discussing 2 separate models.)

jhe888

Newly Enlightened
I don't like the look, which seems a silly thing to say about a tool. But I still don't like it.

The ribs look like they couldn't decide whether they should keep ribs or get rid of them.

Is the main body concave a little? Maybe a weight saving measure?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I don't like anything about it....unless they make a high output 90+ cri model. I prefer the looks of sc62 and I don't need it smaller at the expense of forcing me to buy batteries I hate.

JStraus

Newly Enlightened
Well you can put me in the "It's growing on me" camp. Growing from a positive place to begin with.

I thought that Zebralights were pretty ugly when they added their ribs to the bodies, and also thought the OG SC600 looked silly compared to the tactical offerings at the time. I love ZL design now, but it's because the function is so good that my mind sees the design as being good as a result.

I really like the elegant hourglass sides!

My pre-order will stand...

Vol

Newly Enlightened
There is not enough depth in the metal to knurl

I find it pleasant

markr6

Flashaholic
That mockup does look a LOT better. ZL probably saw that and thought "you son of a..."

jak

Enlightened
That mockup does look a LOT better. ZL probably saw that and thought "you son of a..."
Haha!

I think smooth is gonna be better though. With the ribbing, the fins on the head, and then the knurling, it looks like every flashlight design element packed into one light.

I do see the 'smooth looks unfinished' argument though. But if you watch closely as you pocket your SC62 with the clip, you'll see smooth is going to spare your jeans/pants pocket.

Glock27

Enlightened
Looks like there's more mass in the head for thermal management. The smooth section will be easier on pockets. I typically pull my 62w from my pocket at least 30 times per day. Knurling near where the clip rests would be disastrous to pockets!
Looking forward to the 63w and can't wait to pre-order a high CRI variant.

G27

OrlandoLights

Newly Enlightened
I like it, a lot. Looks like an artifact from the future. I think it'll be comfortable to hold, and as others have said it'll be easier to pocket without the knurling.

Lumencrazy

Enlightened
Looks like the area around the bezel has been reinforced and rounded (a weak point on my 62w), and the light has been optimized for use with unprotected batteries. (all of my other lights (Armytek) have built in protection circuits). So, clearly it is a winner for me. Not afraid of the dark so I never run on high. As a result, my batteries typically last more than 2 months. So far the 62w has been my light of choice for camping in the Pacific Northwest.

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
Not sure I like the smooth section but I'll probably end up buying it. Maybe even pre-order. I liked the sc62w enough to try this out.