*2016* ZebraLight SC63 and variants like the SC63w

cmd

Newly Enlightened
Got two more emails and a tracking number, should be in my hands by the end of this week. Yay!

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually when ZL is preparing them for shipment you'll get a notice or two about your order and it changes the status to a "new order." My experience has been I receive an actual shipping notice or tracking number within 12-24 hours of receiving these emails so you should all be receiving your lights soon!

jak

Enlightened
Ordered 1/13, got the same as Jak, new order, then a shipping notice. Now the waiting for it to be delivered. Hopefully shipped from Texas to Texas, should have in a couple days :)
Yep, we're really close. If it was actually shipped today (3/1) then there's a chance we could even see them tomorrow!

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm...my order still says "Processing" and I haven't gotten any new emails. I didn't order until early February, after the first round of lights were delivered and good reports were being posted, but I did check with Zebralight upon placing my order and was told 3-4 weeks lead time. Hope they're right and I get in on this batch.

Shiftyfive

Newly Enlightened
Ordered 1/13, got the same as Jak, new order, then a shipping notice. Now the waiting for it to be delivered. Hopefully shipped from Texas to Texas, should have in a couple days :)

Ordered mine on 1/11 and still haven't seen a shipping notice or change in order status.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright. Ordered January 1st and it is finally shipping. Jeez! Something is wrong down south. Get in on day one and mess up 2 pre orders in a row.

Anyways... Anyone have this thing chop shopped for an 18350 yet? I need to find someone to do 2 of them.

tonkem

Enlightened
Cool white. Received the light. Now charging the battery, after I just charged my meteor batteries all day! They won't fit in the light and I have no other unprotected batteries to use in this light, that are flat top. The button top unprotected LG's I have in my Meteor are too long.

Did you order the SC63, or the SC63w?

jak

Enlightened
Cool white. Received the light. Now charging the battery, after I just charged my meteor batteries all day! They won't fit in the light and I have no other unprotected batteries to use in this light, that are flat top. The button top unprotected LG's I have in my Meteor are too long.
Got mine today. It arrived with the 2 batteries I ordered (now charging), but didn't include the SC600 HI I ordered.

Half yay, half bummer.

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine today. It arrived with the 2 batteries I ordered (now charging), but didn't include the SC600 HI I ordered.

Half yay, half bummer.

When will your HI arrive? What do you think of the SC63?

Mine took its first drop today. My SC62w I never dropped on concrete or hardwood floors in the 1+ year I've owned it. My wife was using my SC63w and dropped it bezel down on concrete, a loud thud. Picked the light up, turned it on and everything works perfectly and the glass lens is fine no scratches. A small dent in the bezel but that's expected from a drop like that on concrete, the anodizing held up well!

jak

Enlightened
When will your HI arrive? What do you think of the SC63?

Mine took its first drop today. My SC62w I never dropped on concrete or hardwood floors in the 1+ year I've owned it. My wife was using my SC63w and dropped it bezel down on concrete, a loud thud. Picked the light up, turned it on and everything works perfectly and the glass lens is fine no scratches. A small dent in the bezel but that's expected from a drop like that on concrete, the anodizing held up well!
Sorry to hear about your new dent. Bugger.

I contacted ZL and they said my HI will arrive next week. Waiting is the worst. The SC63, on the other hand, is fantastic! Here are a few first impressions:

• With no battery, it is freakishly lightweight. But I guess most Zebralights are, I'm just not used to holding them sans battery.
  • The build quality is flawless.
  • It feels so great to hold, noticeably more comfortable than the 62 (my opinion, obvi).
  • After studying it, holding it, playing with it... it makes the 62 seem/feel old and clunky. I quite like it very much already!
  • I like keeping H2 at 500+ lumens. I never liked that on the 62 the brightest H2 level appeared too close to H1. On this, the brightest H2 is plenty bright, but considerably less bright than H1.
  • Tint is satisfactory. Not the best not the worst.
  • It has the spring tailcap, I would have preferred the pogo pins (merely because it seems cooler to me).

Overall, first impression has been wonderful. It's so small and thin, I don't even think of it as a flashlight... It's more like a battery case that happens to have a freakishly bright LED attached to it.

I will most likely sell my SC62w as a result.

Here's a comparison picture next to a pretty small AA light (Xeno ES1).

sc63-xeno.jpg

markr6

Flashaholic
Looking good! I ordered a second SC63w, but apparently I will have to wait a long time.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear about your new dent. Bugger.

I contacted ZL and they said my HI will arrive next week. Waiting is the worst. The SC63, on the other hand, is fantastic! Here are a few first impressions:

• With no battery, it is freakishly lightweight. But I guess most Zebralights are, I'm just not used to holding them sans battery.
  • The build quality is flawless.
  • It feels so great to hold, noticeably more comfortable than the 62 (my opinion, obvi).
  • After studying it, holding it, playing with it... it makes the 62 seem/feel old and clunky. I quite like it very much already!
  • I like keeping H2 at 500+ lumens. I never liked that on the 62 the brightest H2 level appeared too close to H1. On this, the brightest H2 is plenty bright, but considerably less bright than H1.
  • Tint is satisfactory. Not the best not the worst.
  • It has the spring tailcap, I would have preferred the pogo pins (merely because it seems cooler to me).

Overall, first impression has been wonderful. It's so small and thin, I don't even think of it as a flashlight... It's more like a battery case that happens to have a freakishly bright LED attached to it.

I will most likely sell my SC62w as a result.

Here's a comparison picture next to a pretty small AA light (Xeno ES1).

sc63-xeno.jpg

Can you describe the tint a bit please? Vinh really didnt like the tint of the MKIIIw models either. I am guessing they use the same XHP35 emitter.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, pls describe. Vinh said tint too yellow. Might determine whether I would get the HI model.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Hi model will not have the same tint as the regular MKIIIw and SC63w as it uses the Hi emitter and domeless/dedomed emitters have a different tint then the same emitter with a dome.

Without seeing it in person I am guessing that it might be more yellow than the MkIIIw due the dedome.

Last edited:

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Hi model will not have the same tint as the regular MKIIIw and SC63w as it uses the Hi emitter and domeless/dedomed emitters have a different tint then the same emitter with a dome.

True when it comes to amateur dedoming. The phosphor on the LED is optimized for the dome. When you remove the dome on CREE LEDs tint changes towards green and becomes approximately 1500K warmer.

NOT true when it comes to HI emitters. I don't own an XHP 35 HI, but I do own many XPL HI emitters.

Because CREE itself manufactures the HI emittters, they carefully optimized the phosphor specifically for use without a dome. The result is tint that is every bit as good as a fully domed emitter. No hint of green and the same tint ranges as the traditional domes. Intensity is much higher (for more throw), while overall lumens are slightly lower.

This is why us flashlight modders aren't dedoming XPLs anymore. XPL HI produces virtually the same result with vastly better tint.