24W HID flashlight?

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much does this HID light cost? Does it produce pure white beam? how far does the beam throw? I need info quickly

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AE light certainly has a long reach, delivered cost in the USA is about $290, and the beam is fairly typical HID white. I think it is spec'd at about 4600k. Futher up in this thread I believe there are beam shots.

Crow

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone received an AE Light from Marc lately? It's been about a month since I ordered mine; he told me that new components will arrive next week (8/08).. I really think he's making worthwhile improvements though. I just hope a PowerLightKiller doesn't show up until long after I get mine!

larryk

Enlightened
Mark is on vacation untill 8/08. He told me he wants to send the lights himself so he can be sure everything is tested before he ships. Larry.

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had mine for 2 weeks. Its a great light. Run time is truly what is stated. The power of the light is also VERY good- right up there with my Maxabeams and much smaller/ easy to carry. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
DSCN3706.JPG

DSCN3708.JPG

Beam is very tight focus with fair spill.
Color is bluer than MaxaBeam. Throw is long, powerful. It looks and feels like a quality device. I keep the optional rubber bumpers on it. It's a keeper for me. Its bigger than a 3D Mag and much stronger than a Mag85. I measured 130,000 Lux- same power as an August noon time sunlight. Vet nice for the money. No Focus or zoom.

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 24W HID flashlight? - BrightStar + Photos

Hi - Just got my BrightStar P101-HID. Got it direct from China/Taiwan as living in England this seems sensible compared to going via USA. This is what you get in the box

223711_BrightStar-P101-HID012S.jpg

I have been looking at the photos posted of this and the AELight-HID with great interest while waiting for mine to arrive. Now I have compared the photos and rubric with mine and it seems that there is some similarity between the two products - both having components from China/Taiwan ! and some differences.
Externally the head assembly is quite different in shape and to some extent form - The BS has a filter ring threaded onto the front (std 62mm camera) that holds the supplied plastic film filters- Maybe the AE has the thread to add camera lens type filters? I haven't seen any photos of the AE head taken apart yet so I can't tell.

214208_BrightStar-P101-HID010S.jpg

This shows the major parts in a state of some disassembly. The BS has a plastic spacer ring that locates the lamp/mirror assembly to the back of the glass lens ( Is this the same in the AE ?) You can also see that the Ballast (Plugged to the back of the lamp assembly) has the same code number as the AE model - PL024A******* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
The case of the battery pack appears to be identical but I haven't seen any pictures of the internals of the AE to compare to those of the BS internals posted by AW Re: AE Powerlight 24W HID

The tail switch also seems to be very similar but I haven't broken mine to find out if it is the same as the unmodified AE early model, which some members have broken, ( is there a new version for AE yet ?) or different ?

220909_BrightStar-P101-HID007S.jpg

The next photo shows the tail switch assembly which has 3 rubber O rings and an aluminium threaded mount - but I don't know how far this aluminium goes into the plastic tail cap - This seems to be the area of the weakpoint found in the early AE versions - The AE model does come with extra head and tail rubber protectors and that seems like a good idea.

224050_BrightStar-P101-HID013S.jpg

These are really substantial products with the BS weighing in at 1.168 kilo (2.57 lbs.) which is a good hefting weight that is almost exactly the same as the published weight of the AE ( anybody care to weigh an AE model ?)

Here is a visual comparison with :-
6C-Mag : 2D-Mag : Walther Tac 2xCR123A

211250_BrightStar-P101-HID001S.jpg

Both models come with subtly different rubber rings and shoulder straps ! and the AE has a supplied bag. The BS body has two knurled areas that are quite usefully placed but are not as deep as one finds on a MagLite (Thick aircraft aluminium !)

The BS charger system seems fine and as it charges the LED gradually goes from RED to ORANGE to GREEN. The supplied charging system is not as shown on the websites as the mains adapter plugs directly into a wall socket, not via a cable as shown - this, or the 12/24volt car/truck lead, plugs into the charger that then connects to the base of the HID via a rubber plug protected socket.

I don't have any way to objectively test the brightness but it does seem very bright.

230158_BrightStar-P101-HID016S.jpg

(f4.0 - 1/60sec - Iso200)

This is on my ceiling and you can just see that there is a certain area of colour fringing (Pinkish) at this close range. The bulb strikes purple and then quickly brightens and settles to a very nice white shade. Bright hot spot and a fairly even area of useful sidespill.

Trees, a moth and a plane
( 5sec. f4.2 iso200 50mm equiv )(Hand held - poor focus - sorry)

234937_BrightStar-P101-HID022S.jpg

Lombardy Poplars, more trees and some apples !

235142_BrightStar-P101-HID023S.jpg

All in all - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Pretty good so far - any questions ?

Petrev

dc

Newly Enlightened

Wow, a detailed break down of the various parts. Thks man.
So have u test the runtime of the BS and also mind me asking how u got it direct from BS in Taiwan? U mean BS deal direct with us end user too?

Rgrds,
Daniel

Kiu

Enlightened

My brightstar 24W hid has arrived on last week too and looks exactly the same as Petrev's. I had take a few beamshots comparsion with my other lights. I really hope if I also have the X990 or Thor, so I can put the beamshots in it too. But...I am getting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

Hope you guys enjoy.
24hid01.jpg

24hid02.jpg

24hid03.jpg

24hid04.jpg

24hid05.jpg

24hid06.jpg

For a weight reference:
24Whid (without filter ring) -----1127g
Mag85 3D size 9xAA (use 3AA-to-D holder) -----800g
Mag2HID 10W 8xAA -----702g
Mag60 6xAA (use 3AA-to-D holder) -----601g

I really love this light which can have this brightness/(size,weight) factor.

cy

Flashaholic

WOW Kui, thanks for the nice pic's and all your hard work. really puts things in perspective on which light stands where.

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi All
Great work assembling all the comparison beamshots Kiu - Thanks + nice collection. Interesting to see the comparison with the Mags.

DC asked about the BS-HID runtime - so running the torch from fully charged on a 15min on / 5min off cycle the total burn time was 115 minutes .

These HID-24s are really great power/weight/runtime

Petrev

dc

Newly Enlightened

Hi Petrev & Kiu,
Where did u guys get yr brightstar and whts the price like? I understand HIDxtra.com sell them but is there any other source and a more competitve price beside them cos i dun reside in the USA and its seems like the best price is always available for those who reside there. Can pm me if there is a need for confidentiality.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks,
Daniel

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi
- Trying out selling these on the-bay - I should be importing into UK soon so let me know if you are interested. Selling to UK and Europe. Ta !

Last edited: