24W HID flashlight?

freeze12

Enlightened
I also received My shipping confirmation yesterday of My Brightstar from Kevin... Now the grueling wait for it to arrive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif thanks Kevin /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several comments: I have my doubts about some of the Brightstar claims, simply because they don't make a lot of sense. One of the reasons that AE light is rated for lower output should be obvious. If you want full output, you need to drive the light at roughly 24 watts. To get 110 minute runt time, that means about 50 watt hours from the battery.
If you look at the battery ratings, the AE light battery isn't anywhere near big enough for that. My guess is the lamp is being run at considerably less than 24 watts. I also doubt thatthe required 8 cells would fit in the packaging.

The problem cuts both ways. For the Brightstar light to offer both higher lumens and longer run times means bigger battery, and not a little bigger either. I have serious doubts that you can resell a 50w hour LiIon pack at retail for $70. You are going to need 8 1.5ah cells, and I don't think anyone can buy the cells, package them, distribute and resell them at $70 and even come close to breaking even.

My gut feel is the lumen output on the Brightstar is based upon the lamp, rather than the 'total package' or any actual measurement. I.E. it could deliver the rated output, but not with supplied battery pack/ballast/reflector and claimed run time.

I would also add that AE has apparently begun production shipments of their product.

At the end of the day I suspect there isn't going to be a lot of difference in either output or run time on these products.

My thoughts.

Lexus

Enlightened
mattheww50, your post shows again that your knowledge of these things is way better than mine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif.
But even if the Brightstar HID "only" puts out around 1300 lumens I will be happy. I'll do some bounce off cieling tests when I get the light and compare it to my DragonHID 12cell to do a rough lumen estimation.
I also would not be very surprised if those two lights are more or less the same. At least the Brightstar HID comes with a nice beam shaper (I love broad beams). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Crot

Newly Enlightened
AELight arrived today, and after a 6 hour charge took it out tonight to evaluate its output. It is very well constructed, and cranks a tremendous amount of light.

I have about 5 acres including a very dark thickly wooded area on my property. It is amazing how much light it produces in a reasonably tight beam (some spill, but very useful). It completely illuminates areas that other lights (including a H-S) didn't. Although it is fairly large (bigger than I expected), it is definitely a great product that will satisfy most portable lighting needs. I don't find the fixed beam to be a problem.

Beam is blue white (with some reddish spill), but the bulb will likely break in after use. At 500+ feet, it easily illuminates a large area. Highly recommended... so far.

freeze12

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Crot said:
AELight arrived today, and after a 6 hour charge took it out tonight to evaluate its output. It is very well constructed, and cranks a tremendous amount of light.
I have about 5 acres including a very dark thickly wooded area on my property. It is amazing how much light it produces in a reasonably tight beam (some spill, but very useful). It completely illuminates areas that other lights (including a H-S) didn't. Although it is fairly large (bigger than I expected), it is definitely a great product that will satisfy most portable lighting needs. I don't find the fixed beam to be a problem.

Beam is blue white (with some reddish spill), but the bulb will likely break in after use. At 500+ feet, it easily illuminates a large area. Highly recommended... so far.

[/ QUOTE ]
Crot ... When was Your light shipped out as I am in Buffalo,NY. My confirmation says my light was shipped on the 13th

Crow

Newly Enlightened
Crot, how bright is the AElight compared to (if you have one) a Thor 10mcp? I don't really think I have a good idea about how bright this thing is... I ordered mine from Marc last week and it should ship shortly, he indicated that there were many lights ahead of me.

Crot

Newly Enlightened
Shipped 7/06 according to his invoice (that's AELight time, not when it hit the UPS system).

On the Thor comparison... I did have a 10M Thor, which I gave to my nephew months ago (it was a dysfunctional, clunky unit that I decided I would never use). It is hard to estimate from memory, but the AELight seems about as bright with a tighter beam.

It certainly beats the Thor on portability. It's about the form factor I have been looking for, producing plenty of illumination. BTW, it's quiet!

SATURN

Newly Enlightened
I received my AE two days ago. It is a huge flashlight both in diameter and length. In comparison to the 10 Watt LC 100, it is about the same weight. The AE has a much more intense, but smaller hot spot. The transition to the outer beam is smooth but quick. The outer beam is about the same brightness as the LC 100. Charging is easy (no need to remove the battery). The color temperature is slightly lower than the LC 100 (When both are running, the AE beam appears pure white vs. slightly blue for the LC100. The AE beam has no significant artifacts. Overall, the LC100 is still my preferred light for walking at night. The AE is more of a distance spot illuminator.

Would be nice if AE would sell a speckled reflector to diffuse the spot for those that would like a broader spot.

I will compare it with my Arco 35W HID today.

Lexus

Enlightened
I have the McCulloch x990 which is probably the same as the Acro only another name on it. Sorry, can't say much about it, as I'm still waiting for my world wide charger to arrive. It's not a very pocketable light but if you like lumens, you won't be dissapointed. Do a search for "x990" and you should get plenty of info on the light.
Sorry for hijacking the thread...

freeze12

Enlightened
I received my BrightStar HID light Friday & its a keeper. It is built like a tank. I only had a short time to play with it but the time I did the beam was VERY bright & white. I will probably have more time tonight to try it out if it does not Rain again.

freeze12

Enlightened
The package says -Weatherproof- so I figure it is not submersable, but like I said-it is one very nice light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

HighLight

Enlightened
I'm wondering if it would be possible to do a "24W Mag2HID"
mod which is similar to the 10W Mag2HID mods for sale in this forum from time to time?

Burnt_Retinas

Enlightened
I noticed these are now popping up retail, even in unexpected places such as here

Rip-off price though!

Still waiting for AE to get all their tweaks sorted relative to OEM version....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

Chris

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
HighLight: I've tried but unable to. The commercial ballast is too large to fit. The only alternative route is custom ballast, which is mulla $$$.

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
the AE HID looks awesome. I hope it will on sale soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

picard

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to buy this AE HID light. Does anyone know when it will be on sale??? I am getting impatient.