• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired 2x18350 & 2x18500 FM1794

naked2

Enlightened
I'm really disappointed with my AW IMR18350s; I'm going to have to try charging them up again and see if they're usable with a 7.2V LED. I never bought an AW soft start (even when they were available), mainly due to the high price.

Conte

Enlightened
That is regrettable.

I know I kind of wish I had bought more.

Well, I had 2, but I lost one.

Either way, the AW softstart unit makes a HUGE difference in this setup.

It's the difference between liking this light, and loving it cause it's a super useful EDC.

naked2

Enlightened
My AW IMR18350s are recharged and working fine in my SolarForce M6; they must not be able to handle the high current of the 1794.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am finally pulling the trigger on this purchase. PayPal sent for:

#02 Grey 2x18500 FM1794 $59 (AVAILABLE)
2 X CL1499 $9 each (AVAILABLE) = $18
Shipping to States $6 any quantity

Total: $83

Conte

Enlightened
My AW IMR18350s are recharged and working fine in my SolarForce M6; they must not be able to handle the high current of the 1794.

I've seen that before with aged lions. I have some cells salvaged from a laptop battery, they test out with good capacity but they won't run an incan worth a damn. They work fine in low current led applications.

I'd be curious to know your charging habits.

I'm expecting good life out of my 18350s since the softstart takes the stress off. Hell, the 1794 is so bright I rarely use high mode.
I must get 2 weeks of intermittent use out a charge.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
BTW, on 2x AW IMR 18350, I see 1499 just as bright as 1794. I really can't tell that the latter is any brighter than the former. Given that, I deided to use 1499s only, for saving the batts (both for better runtime and the batts' health) and use my 1794s with the incoming FM bi-pin D26 adapter and the matching 2x18500 or 2x18650 IMR.

Also do you guys know any online store that sells those new (2014) high current Efest and Keeppower 18350 and 18500 cells internationally?

Last edited:

cbsmith111

Newly Enlightened
You know the funny thing about incandescent parts and accessories, particularly drivers and soft starts, is every day I see someone looking for them or complaining that they aren't made anymore but there still isn't enough demand for someone to make them. Personally it irritates me. I missed the boat on this stuff when it was around. Now I really want nothing more than a light like this with a soft start, multiple levels, etc. I just wish the stuff was still available and affordable. Or I knew how to build it myself.

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very true. But I am aware of at least one case when people organized a subscription and then Enrique Muyshond made another batch of lights which he had declared phased out before that. So what we can do is set up a thread to find out what is real market for incand regulators. I personally would love to have regulated P-series and E-series lights.

Last edited:

cbsmith111

Newly Enlightened
If somehow there could be an adjustable regulator that could easily be put in something like a p60/d26 type host it would be awesome. That way it would be extremely versatile and useful for a lot of different people. Especially if the socket was available again to use these bulbs in those hosts. My knowledge is limited to the point that I really don't know what is doable. I can only say what I would want in a flashlight.

naked2

Enlightened
The pair of AW IMR18350s in question have been recharged less than a dozen times total, and stored at anywhere between 100~75%. Now after further review, they die prematurely in my SolarForce M6 as well. Actually, they don't die; they dim and then recover after sitting and cooling down. Even some old, abused, orange UltraFires that I have work better than the AWs.

Conte

Enlightened
The pair of AW IMR18350s in question have been recharged less than a dozen times total, and stored at anywhere between 100~75%. Now after further review, they die prematurely in my SolarForce M6 as well. Actually, they don't die; they dim and then recover after sitting and cooling down. Even some old, abused, orange UltraFires that I have work better than the AWs.

Damn. I guess it's asking a lot of such a small battery.
Not sure I've done a dozen charges on one yet.
Time will tell I suppose.

cbsmith111

Newly Enlightened
I received mine today and if doesn't work at all. I tried the bulb that was installed before I removed it and the extra one I ordered and neither lit up. The bulbs are good. I checked them with a meter and lit them up dimly with two aa batteries. Batteries are both at 3.8 volts and I'm even getting voltage at the socket. I have a feeling the socket is shorted but I'm not sure.

darkknightlight

Enlightened
Maybe a dumb question, but have you tried using a dmm to complete the circuit without using the flashlight switch?

cbsmith111

Newly Enlightened
I don't know what a dmm is but I think I get your point. I just tried jumping it with a piece of wire and nothing happened.

Conte

Enlightened
I had mine glitch out on me. I hadn't seated my bulb firmly in the socket enough.

naked2

Enlightened
cbsmith111, are you using flat-top batteries? They have contact problems sometimes. Also, some tailcap switches don't work with it. What kind are you using?

cbsmith111

Newly Enlightened
They are button top efest 18500. I tried two different tail caps but like I said I also tried jumping it with no tail cap. The bulb is in there as deep as it can go. I don't know what the positive contact is supposed to be like but it didn't look so great to me. There was some sort of smashed looking blob coming through off center and a spot of bare aluminum with no anodizing next to it. Can't get to it to really check it out. I've tried about everything. I'm confident there is something wrong with the light itself.

naked2

Enlightened
The brass should be protruding far enough inside the battery tube to make contact with the battery's (+) button; it's off-center because it is part of one of the bi-pin sockets on the other (bulb) side. The aluminum is the other socket and shouldn't touch the (+) button.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my 2x18500 today and I have to say I am very pleased. Luckily my pi-pin is nice and snug and the bulb contacts do not seem to be a problem.

I do agree that the 1794 on 2x18500 on IMR is an instaflash concern. I had two hot off the charger and even with a SoftStart I went to high without letting them bleed a little bit enough power and poofed a bulb.