3.8V (4.35V) batteries

derek10

Newly Enlightened
Do 3.8V (4.35V) batteries last as long as regular 3.7V (4.2V) ones? i.e are they prepared to be charged at that voltage? I read that charging a battery to 4.35V will short its lifespan.

Many thanks

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do 3.8V (4.35V) batteries last as long as regular 3.7V (4.2V) ones? i.e are they prepared to be charged at that voltage? I read that charging a battery to 4.35V will short its lifespan.

Many thanks

I run LG D1s (3000mAh) and LG E1s (3200mAh) and they're meant to be charged to 4.35v. Whether they last as long as other 4.2v cells, I can't say. Some have noticed higher IRs and I see that on my Opus BT-3400, but the numbers aren't outrageous.

I don't know if I'd replace them with the same, or other, 4.35v cells, but at the time, all the cool kids were running them and they weren't expensive.

You can charge them up on a 4.2v charger, but their capacities won't be full.

Chris

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using the D1s for a couple of years at least and always charge to 4.35v. I use them at a variety of currents from firefly mode on my Zebralights all the way up to about 5.5a in one of my HID lights. I've noticed no degradation in performance so far. AWESOME cells, IMO.

derek10

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks for your replies, so seems that 4.35 cells would last as long as 4.2 ones when charged up to their max rated voltage.

However, I saw here http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries this graph.

lithium2.jpg

I don't know if the cell used there is a 4.2V being overcharged but seeing the date of the source (2002) it's very unlikely it's a 4.35 cell as they seem to be more recent :)

Last edited:

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use them and have noticed a slight increase at output until they go down to a standard 4.20 volts and lower.

derek10

Newly Enlightened
It turns out that there are Li-ion batteries rated up to 4.4V max voltage LOL
Next stop: 4.5V