30-80 lumens AA incandescent flashlight?

prof student

Enlightened
Does such a light exist?

If not, can it be built rather easily with reliable parts?

I have a G2, SL TL-2 I am trying to configure with reachargeable batteries without going brighter, but I REALLY would like to have such a light that is incandescent AND with AA batteries.

Any ideas?

It01Firefox

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure if you mean 1xAA, but in case you're not here's a 4xAA incan light from Underwater Kinetics: http://www.uwkinetics.com/product/6

You will lose the ATEX rating if you use the light with non-Alkaline batteries, but if you don't care about this sort of thing, the light works just fine on NiMHs.

EDIT:
There's also a newer light in the same form factor as the 4AA that is supposed to hit 80 lm on 4xAA, the Parat PX1: http://www.parat.de/e/2748/

Markus

Last edited:

Pekka

Newly Enlightened
Does such a light exist?

I have a G2, SL TL-2 I am trying to configure with reachargeable batteries without going brighter, but I REALLY would like to have such a light that is incandescent AND with AA batteries.

Any ideas?

AA-what? If you're going with L91 or Eneloops I'm betting it can done but runtime will not be something to call home about. If going by alkalines you'll need a parallel-serial arrangement like Fenix's TK40 if you want any runtime.

As you might have guessed by now, alkies aren't too shabby for neither capacity nor voltage: Surefire doesn't advertise their G2 to be equivalent to a 4D Maglite for no reason - Flashlight that uses not only 4 batteries for voltage but also D-sized for runtime.

That being said, if you're happy with the stated "30 or so" you can generally go for any of the existing 4AA flashlights. Take for example Underwater Kinetics' 4AA that's specced for 38 lumes. Much more and the alkalines won't take the amperage well.

Edit: Hah, beaten to it. Note that the UK's light won't run too well with AA Lithiums: you can expect to get a new bulb as often or more as batteries. (Even though spec says it's okay!)

prof student

Enlightened
Oppss, sorry. Looking for around 2AA. Lithiums are ok. But, since it would be a lot of lumens for 2AA, probably would go buy some Eneloops at Costco.

No, not looking for something to write home about. Just looking for something way brighter than a mini mag set up. But not looking to use 123 or rechargeable li-ions. Just want it simple. 2 AA, be it alkaline, or Eneloops, maybe Energizer lithiums primaries, but looking for low cost factor in batteries hence alkalines, or the Eneloops.

prof student

Enlightened
I'm not sure if you mean 1xAA, but in case you're not here's a 4xAA incan light from Underwater Kinetics: http://www.uwkinetics.com/product/6

You will lose the ATEX rating if you use the light with non-Alkaline batteries, but if you don't care about this sort of thing, the light works just fine on NiMHs.

EDIT:
There's also a newer light in the same form factor as the 4AA that is supposed to hit 80 lm on 4xAA, the Parat PX1: http://www.parat.de/e/2748/

Markus

Thanks Markus.

I like the output, but looking for a 2AA setup if possible?

I mean, I dunno if 80 kumens is possible. Right now was using my Strion. Too bright, but if I light it up off center & just used the spill it was good. However, I am sending it in to SL to get fixed. Had problems with it since day one, and now just won't come on. The SL TL 2 tha that I am using same thing. Too bright initially, but if using the spill, good. But, it uses lithium primaries. Too expensive.

So, doesn't need to light up a room, but do want it significantly brighter than a mini mag.

An E1e was suggested, but can't find one cheap though, so.......looking for something like this.

Pekka

Newly Enlightened
Ooo... that's tricky. Unless it's regulated, it won't take both Eneloops and L91's. You could probably fashion yourself a nonregulated one cheaply though if you can source the parts: we're looking for a bulb that's pulling a little over an amp from the Eneloops or little less than amp from the L91's. Plus hardware that can support the ~3 watts of heat. Also, that'd be putting out the 30-something at the bulb. Substract one third for OTF. :)

Edit: Have you considered using diffuser? It's not the lumens that blind you, it's the lux: using diffuser should put the brightness at manageable levels at close range.

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does such a light exist?

Any ideas?

This or this will work with Eneloops unless 25~28L is too little for you.
As mentioned earlier, 4AA UK is closest to what you need.
Your better choice will be old (Xenon) version of Responder.

Last edited:

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
This or this will work with Eneloops unless 25~28L is too little for you.
As mentioned earlier, 4AA UK is closest to what you need.
Your better choice will be old (Xenon) version of Responder.
The second "this" above has a bad link; it should point to the Pelican Stealthlite.

It appears that all three of these lights use lamps or lamp assemblies that are rated at 4.8V. Four NiMH cells ought to be safe; or three NiZn cells and one dummy cell.

The UK 4AA can be used with a high-output version that draws more current to deliver more lumens and is better suited for use with NiMH cells. But that lamp assembly was discontinued, I think in 2006; it's hard to find. I forget its name; it came standard in a rechargeable version of this light.

Last edited:

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
The GH88 from Reflectalite claims 38 lumens at 2.2V - basically, for rechargeable AA only.

The Philips HPR52 claims 34.5 lumens at 2.8V - really this needs NiZn or L91 to perform.

Either can beef up any 2-cell torch of any size.

prof student

Enlightened
Can this be done at all running 2 AA's? Either eneloops, alkalines? Eneloops would be fine, even if run time was an hour or so. Costco has a good package on them right now :naughty:

prof student

Enlightened
The GH88 from Reflectalite claims 38 lumens at 2.2V - basically, for rechargeable AA only.

The Philips HPR52 claims 34.5 lumens at 2.8V - really this needs NiZn or L91 to perform.

Either can beef up any 2-cell torch of any size.

Can these run a 2AA? If so, what kind of host would work?

Thanks.

carrot

Flashaholic
The UK 4AA is an excellent choice and is far more compact than you imagine. It's not much larger than a Surefire G2.

dlrflyer

Newly Enlightened
Umm...I think everybody forgot about THE classic for this category, Princeton Tec TEC 40. It's a 4 AA like the UK, but it's less expensive and uses PR bulbs. This opens up tons of possibilities. KPR139 on 4 eneloops is excellent, every bit as bright as a G2 and not much larger. For what a surefire p60 costs, you could buy 5 KPR139's + shipping. Not to mention it's dive proof. Oops, I guess fivemega did link to it.......sorry.

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Umm...I think everybody forgot about THE classic for this category, Princeton Tec TEC 40. It's a 4 AA like the UK, but it's less expensive and uses PR bulbs. This opens up tons of possibilities. KPR139 on 4 eneloops is excellent, every bit as bright as a G2 and not much larger. For what a surefire p60 costs, you could buy 5 KPR139's + shipping. Not to mention it's dive proof. Oops, I guess fivemega did link to it.......sorry.

Xenon version of Responder also uses PR base bulbs, it's focusable and has forward clicky tail switch.
I am using ROP LOW bulb with 4AA NiZn and of course in short burst.

It01Firefox

Newly Enlightened
The UK 4AA can be used with a high-output version that draws more current to deliver more lumens and is better suited for use with NiMH cells. But that lamp assembly was discontinued, I think in 2006; it's hard to find. I forget its name; it came standard in a rechargeable version of this light.

That is correct, the light was called the UK 4AA R or Rechargable and was basically the same light but came with a charging stand and a higher output lamp assembly. I picked up a few of those LAs back when they were still sold to upgrade my 4AAs. The LA also works fine on primaries.
I don't remember if these LAs had a special name besides them being designated for use in the rechargeable model.

Markus

prof student

Enlightened
Well, it seems like 80 lumens are out of the question. Correct? I ask that because of possible running a P60 drop in, on maybe 2 AA's.

Ok, so what about lower lumens? Can the be achieved either with a double pin bulb, or drop in, or something else? Still on 2 AA's of course.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a PT Tec 40 using Nizn cells and a Mag 5 cell bulb. The increase in brightness is quite noticeable vs any 4 cell bulbs.

Casper507

Newly Enlightened
Unless you really have a need for inefficiency you might look into a neutral white tint flashlight. Shining Beam has one with a Q3-5c yellow tint using adjustable head and a dome shaped lens so there is no hot spot just a big even yellow tint circle of around 90 lumens or focus it down to a smaller focus for incredible throw from a small AA flashlight. see- Romisen RC-29 II NW Neutral White Flood-to-Throw LED Flashlight

Also neutral white Quark head on a single aa format puts out around 80 lumens on AA.