$30 Max MC-E or SSC P7 Thrower

vickers214

Enlightened
Hi,

I am after a very cheap MC-E or P7 based light runing on 1 186500 with the best throw? I would like 1 mode the best then the more modes the least, but i would still consider them.

I do not wish to spend more than $30 as this is just a look see at one of these emitters and it would not get much use, but i just want the most throw as they all tend to say flood in the reviews and a nice white tint would also be nice!

Please help:eek:

Tom

a1penguin

Newly Enlightened
Re: $30 Max DX/KD MC-E or SSC P7 Thrower

You might also try the bicycling light forum here and the ones at mtbr.com and bikeforums.net. People have recommendations for DX P7 torches. Remember that MC-E and P7s produce floody wall of light, not a narrow throwy beam. Also there is a flashlight forum at dx.

For reference, I'm happy with my 5 mode MTE, sku.22567. People have also recommended the Aurora and Spiderfire. Since the XP-Gs have come out the Skyray is another popular option. As for which of these lights has the most throw, good luck finding that out. The quality of these products seems to vary and I don't think anyone has done a side by side review of all these lights.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

Size of reflector determines throw.

'50 lumen' TLE-1F in a 6V lantern vs. '900 lumen' MTE SSC-P7.
6V-lantern--MTE-P7.jpg

Got my lights reversed for the beamshots.
'900 lumen' MTE SSC-P7 left, '50 lumen' TLE-1F in a 6V lantern right.
MTE-P7-vs-6V-lantern.jpg

Notice how floody the P7 is and how much brighter the hotspot of the 1 watt Luxeon is when given a big enough reflector.

The P7/MCE are inherently floody. The bigger the reflector the better the throw.
Mag P7 52 mm reflector left, MTE P7 with 38 mm reflector right.
P7magvsMTE.jpg

So get the light with the biggest reflector (like in a 55 mm head). Right now I see the Aurora AK-P7 SSC P7 2-Mode sku.12588 and Trustfire P7-F1 SSC P7-C (SXO) 3-Mode sku.24974.
Don't have either light. I'm sticking with my Mag P7.

vickers214

Enlightened

Thanks guys for your help, it looks like i would be better off with a dedicated XR-E Thrower such as,

[link removed - DM51]

or

[link removed - DM51]

As the pictures prove its about reflector/emitter size so i think these would be best, any opinions?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

randomlugia

Newly Enlightened

I have an Aurora AK-P7-5, a Spiderfire P7, a Kai RQ (Q5), and the Q5 way out-throws both P7's.

[link removed - DM51]

The RQ doesn't use a standard cycle for modes, so you can set it to always come on high. Low mode looks about 30-40 lumens. The beam pattern is ringy, but you won't notice it outside, and the throw is really the only thing you're paying attention to anyway. IMO one of the best $30 lights out there!

Last edited by a moderator:

RepProdigious

Enlightened

I have an Aurora AK-P7-5, a Spiderfire P7, a Kai RQ (Q5), and the Q5 way out-throws both P7's.

Are you my twin?

img6138small.jpg

:crackup:

And indeed, the P7's are great for a nice wall of light that lights up everything in front of you in a 30ft radius, the RQ however will light up a 30ft area for someone else standing 200-300 feet away :hitit:

For example, i use my Aurora P7 for cycling; it will light up the road and i can see stupid suicidal animals that are planning to cross the road just in front of me way in advance. I use the RQ for spotting stuff waaay in the distance (great for wildlife watching at night).

randomlugia

Newly Enlightened

Are you my twin? :crackup:

The Aurora is great... But it hardly ever gets used around here, as I prefer the smaller Spider for midrange and flood, and I use the RQ for throw. And for some reason, the Aurora suddenly started working at 3.4 amps. :thinking:

That reflector still looks pretty shallow. It's too bad there weren't any more stepped down pictures...

vickers214

Enlightened

Thanks for the help and I NEARLY bought the RQ as i like the idea of it a lot (I will probably get drunk and order it anyway:rolleyes:) and for the price its a steal, and i see no problems with switches/driver etc that seem to go hand in hand with other throwers.

I went for the WF-008 Recoil Thrower as I have to see what these are about, it was $7 cheaper, and a usefull bit smaller, and im guessing that it may throw a tiny bit further due to its design?

I will let you know what i think!

Makedonas

Newly Enlightened

And indeed, the P7's are great for a nice wall of light that lights up everything in front of you in a 30ft radius, the RQ however will light up a 30ft area for someone else standing 200-300 feet away :hitit:

For example, i use my Aurora P7 for cycling; it will light up the road and i can see stupid suicidal animals that are planning to cross the road just in front of me way in advance. I use the RQ for spotting stuff waaay in the distance (great for wildlife watching at night).

The quest for a good bike light is what brought me onto this forum :twothumbs although I think i'm going to end up getting more than just one light :p

what bracket are you using?

Latest posts