32650 Protected D size li-ion Tested at 3 amps

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of these is to be the power source in my new compact 1x32650 hiking light, and I'm pretty pumped about the long runtime at one amp drive current. *big thumbs up*

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I'm hoping so! It is using the Shiningbeam 3-mode perfect regulated driver, which has an output like this. I'm looking forward to the 13 hour medium mode which should be plenty for night hikes, plus the occasional jump to high to spot critters/vampires/zombies/etc....:devil:

killforfood

Newly Enlightened
I did contact them (novae) and received a email back stating that they do have these in stock.
I got my reply today.
I asked Adrian to correct the typo on their home page and then promptly ordered 4 of them big fat D's:twothumbs

CyberCT

Enlightened
Anyone with these batteries have a Fenix TK70? I really want that light but want to run 32650s

CyberCT

Enlightened
I have not tried a Fenix TK70, but I run Feilong 32650's in my 1000 Lumen Mag mods and they are the best batteries in that size I have tried...

Much better than the Novea cells.

Those have no protection circuit though, am I correct? The TK70 would overdischarge them. The TK70 drops down from turbo to high mode when @ 3.9v, is available from the batteries. So each cell would be supplying 2v. I always used the mode step-down as a gage of when to take the batteries out and recharge them. The TK70 is made to use 4 D alkaline cells or two lifepo cells. But LION cells work too. That's why I need protected cells, so when the cells are discharged to their min, the protectoin circuit will protect the cells.

moderator007

Enlightened
I have not tried a Fenix TK70, but I run Feilong 32650's in my 1000 Lumen Mag mods and they are the best batteries in that size I have tried...

Much better than the Novea cells.
The Feilong cell has a length of 66.5 mm (from the link you posted) and the Novae cell has a length of 70.40mm (from my measurement). I wonder if these might come out of the same factory, one with protection and one without. Would make sense if your overseas manufacturing cells to sell both as you would sell more cells. Or the pcb could be added by a thrid party that is selling the cells. All name brand 18650's are manufactured without pcb's. The pcb are added by a thrid party seller. I dont know if this apply's to the 32650 cells. The reason I say this is there really not that many 32650's suppliers that I'am aware of. Especially with the pcb added.

Interesting you said better? Do they provide a higher capacity? Did you do a discharge test? They may have a higher discharge current because they have no pcb to cut the current off. If used in a high current draw light the Feilong's may work better as they have nothing to limit current. But there is nothing in the way to keep them from over discharging the battery either. I personal dont like the idea of running that big of li-ion battery in a .105 inch thick aluminum mag body without some kind of protection.

357mag1

Enlightened
Well, here you go LEDAdd1ct.
DSC00119.jpg

Almost broke the 5200 mah mark. I have know idea why the time is 55:35. I know it took over 5 hours to complete. I wasn't watching it the entire time, i got bored left it in the kitchen running. I have never seen this turnigy read a false time. Wonder if the timer got so high it reset itself.
Feel free to comment as why the time was off or what happened.:thinking:

I did 2amp test on four of these batteries using the same unit and measured over 5500mah on all four batteries. I had to cycle them a couple of times to reach full capacity.

Two of them with a spacer have been used to power my TK70.

moderator007

Enlightened
Good to know 357mag1. Thats more than I got at a 1amp test. When I tested the pair of batteries I did not cycle them but one time. Seems they may even have went higher if I had run a few more cycles. I may do a year test in a few more months just to see how there holding up.

Rocketvapor

Newly Enlightened
Has the source for these 32650 cells changed?
I got 3 and the first would not accept charge.
The supplier has offered to replace it, but I have not received it yet.
The second one has also shut down.
My application is an electronic cigarette mod.
Using 1.5 ohms this second cell outlasted a pair of 18650 Li-ion cells (2600mah Tenergy), a 4000mah LiMnNi,
and a 3600mah LiMnNiCo cell. I was happy. Upon recharging (0.1 C) the cell shut down at 4.11 volts.
Voiding the possibility of returning it, I opened the plastic wrapper and found a rather noxious liquid has leaked from the cell.
The cell is now outside.
After washing (in 91% IPA) the protection board now works.
These were Green wrapped cells.
Anyone check theirs for leakage?

Rocketvapor

Newly Enlightened
If if goes through, here is a pics of the 32650 (32700) that leaked on me. Notice that the protection board is on the positive end.
I have not drawn the circuit to see what is different from the normal Li-ion boards, yet.
After cleaning the board and drying, it seems to work fine.
2nd pic is the 32mm board temporarily attached to a 18650 tabbed cell.
The P+ lead can not be seen in this photo. It runs under the cell to the + charger terminal.

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae132/rocketman_photos/32650_LEAK.jpg
http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae132/rocketman_photos/32mmBoard.jpg

Last edited:

Rocketvapor

Newly Enlightened
The cell that leaked did not run warm. It did not seem to mind being run into a 1.5 ohm load for 4 to 6 seconds at a time.
Even though this was an e-cig application, this type of load is much less than you would expect from some lights. I did not measure the mah capacity but it easily exceeded 18650 and 26650 cells I have.

Charging was done with a 500ma e-cig charger. Charge termination was 4.19 volts for the first cycle but the cell shut down on the 2nd charge cycle. Cell voltage was 4.11v at the cell, no output through the board.
It was not overcharged or overdischarged. It appears the leakage got to the board and caused it to shut off.

A leaking/venting Li-ion cell is not something to take lightly. Their was no external indication that the cell leaked.
Only after I decided to void any change of a refund or replacement, I opened the wrapper.
The protection board works after being washed and dried.

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae132/rocketman_photos/32mmVs18mm.jpg

Last edited:

Rocketvapor

Newly Enlightened
The vendor has sent me replacement cells. Really nice folks.
I did a little work with the protection board and identified the Mosfets and the Polyswitch on the board.
The two Mosfets are singles connected 'back-to-back' whereas the 18650 protection board use dual Mosfets in a single chip. The ones I have use two dual Mosfets.
The polyswitch is rated 2.6 amp continuous/5 amp max.
At 3 amps the 32650 protection board drops about 200 mv, and costs about 900 mah over the full charge.

moderator007

Enlightened
Hi Rocketvapor, I have never had one to leak. Never had any li-ion to leak for that matter. I still have the original blue ones that were tested at the start of this thread. No problems what so every. I did receive one that had the pcb almost ripped of the battery. I would assume from shipping handlers. Looked like it had been droped hard on the corner of the bottom of the battery right where the pcb is. The shrink wrap was tore almost all the way around the battery exactly where the pcb was.

Its possible you could have received a battery that had took a hard drop also. I know that Nimh's when droped can do damage to the battery. Because of the thin construction trying to gain as much capacity as possible. Don't know if this applies to li-ion's. Maybe someone else here does?

Glad you got replacement cells. I had no problems getting a replacement cell for the damage one I received even though it was probably not their fault. They were very easy to deal with and seemed to go out of their way to make it right.

Thanks for the info above.:thumbsup:

Rocketvapor

Newly Enlightened
Did your 'Blue ones' have the PCB on the negative end, or like the Green ones I got with the board at the positive end?
and Adrian has been about the nicest you could ask for.

moderator007

Enlightened
Did your 'Blue ones' have the PCB on the negative end, or like the Green ones I got with the board at the positive end?
and Adrian has been about the nicest you could ask for.
The blue ones have the pcb at the negative end. I also have couple sets of the green ones which are at the positive end. I like the blue ones the best. Sometime after receiving a couple of sets of the blue ones they switched to green ones. I have no idea why or if its the exact same battery. But does seem to test out about the same. So it was probably just green shrink wrapped with a positive pcb added to the same battery.:shrug:

Thr3Evo

Enlightened
Well, I purchased these cells about a month ago, charged them when they arrived and waited for more parts to start on a triple xml Shorty mag with the slave boards mod. Last night I prewired everything to make sure I have all systems go and sure enough, worked like a charm. I'm using the KD 7135 drivers and if the manufacturer specs of the drivers are correct this cell should be pumping out around 3 amps to each driver. So yes these cells (protected) are capable of supplying more than the discharge rate stated on the website.

CTS

Newly Enlightened
I did contact them (novae) and received a email back stating that they do have these in stock.

Do you have contact information for Novae? They are not responding to inquiries on their webform and the email address supplied with the Paypal receipt is bouncing back.

I'd like to receive my batteries and I'd prefer not to have to file a chargeback.

Latest posts