#4 FOURSEVENS Quark Smart QSL !

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
So to clarify, the new replacement tailcaps fix the issue with primary CR123A's? I pre-ordered one of the first batch, the app updates seemed to have resolved all the software issues, but the light is quite hard to activate via the momentary on rear tailcap switch which is a big issue for me. Hence my light is still pretty much BNIB. :( I only use primaries...
This works for me only on rechargeable battery. With primaries /4Sevens CR123A/ the plunger is too short and barely touches the battery, need to press really hard to make it work.
Based on my observations this tailcap design is the main problem of this light. Pressing the tailcap switch a few times, or just pushing the tailcap back and forth against the body makes the light to 'hang' /constant RED light on side switch/ and need a restart /remove the battery for a few minutes/ to make it work again.
The side switch is very well designed and works flawless.
Guys if you would please remove the tailcap and look into it. Is the plunger under the spring silver or black?

Raven5221

Newly Enlightened
One of the problems I had with my QSL-X was that it was extremely hard to press the tailswitch with the included 123 battery. Foursevens sent me a new part for the tailswitch, and it completely resolved that issue. Let me put up a few pictures of the tailcap parts to make diagnosing issues easier.

The part in question is the piece that goes under the rubber cap on the tail. In this picture, the new part is on the right, and the old part on the left: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8lCQX7He7ZGcnQzTE5aT2Viem8

Here is the old part installed in the tailcap: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8lCQX7He7ZGNFZWWjd1YWJ0Z00

Here is the new part installed in the tailcap: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8lCQX7He7ZGdVFRdVVfRE9Jb28

Again, with the new part installed, the tailswitch works well with 123 batteries.

That's not normal. What battery type are you using and what is the battery level?

You helped me via email and we made quite a bit of progress with the light, but then I stopped responding, so the ball is in my court, but I haven't felt like fiddling with the light.

For the reference of other users, because it was too hard to press the tailswitch, I put some aluminum foil in between the battery and the tail spring. This did make the switch work properly, but I noticed that the light would occasionally "lock up:" the red light would turn on, and the light would stop responding to button presses. It did this especially while the light was in max mode. Removing the aluminum foil per David's (the Foursevens guy who was emailing me was named David, I'm presuming it was "the" David) suggestion remedied the problem temporarily. Eventually though, the "locking up" behavior returned again. Replacing the battery with a fresh 123 eliminated this behavior, and the battery that I pulled out of the light was low. I have since put several batteries through the light, and it behaves this way whenever the battery is low. Apparently, the aluminum foil added additional resistance to the circuit causing it to appear low earlier.

It seems that the battery level detection of my light does not work well at all. I have only ever used it with 123 batteries, and it has never reported a low battery, probably never lower than 70% charge. However, it routinely displays the "lock up" behavior once I have used a battery for a while (about a month of EDC usage), and replacing the battery resolves the issue. Additionally, the batteries that cause the light to lock up also produce a weaker max mode, which shows that these batteries are low.

This doesn't seem like the low battery behavior the light should have, but at least it is consistent.

Last edited:

nnasko

Newly Enlightened
Guys if you would please remove the tailcap and look into it. Is the plunger under the spring silver or black?

Hello, sorry for the late answer.
I don't have the first light with me because I send it back to you.
I took a picture of the tail cap of replacement light.

It is working better than my first light. Needs a little bit harder press to react with 4Sevens primaries. Works excellent whit AW rechargeable but I not tight the cap all the way dawn due to the battery length.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
My tail switch stopped working ages ago. I have given up on it working.

Hello Quark Smart Owners,

I'd really appreciate reading how you're currently getting along with your light. Is it working as designed; bugs worked-out? Or have you just given up on it?

Thank you for any information you're willing to share.

~ Chance

Jambo

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I've been away for a while. The light is still in my drawer, in the box as new. It's never even left the house.
To be honest, I kind of gave up on it a while back. I didn't know about the silver/black plunger issue, so I'll check it out asap. Thanks to David.

nbp

Flashaholic
I use mine but mostly around the house where I don't care that much if it acts up. It lights up so it's ok for puttering. Sometimes it resets itself or the battery I put in is too short or whatever. I can't remember right now what issues I resolved and which I didn't. I don't use it for anything mission critical for sure.

Jambo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Crazyeddie, but that doesn't make any difference.

David, I have the silver plunger as in the pictures above.

To to be honest, I'm in the same boat as TKC. It took several months and a few firmware updates to be anything approaching usable. Even now it has the occasional glitch, and the rear button is hard to hold down. I would probably just return it if I could as I pretty much have no faith in it anymore. I held onto it for around a year hoping future firmware updates would sort it out, but it's still not there.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have given up on mine. It just sits on a table. I won't carry it for EDC, as I don't feel that it is reliable enough FOR EDC.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Looks like simpler appears to win again. Like my old school Quarks as they're UL and reliable. Hope it works out and will check again in a month or so.

gunga

Flashaholic
I've bought and sold tons of lights. Just picked up another one school quark for the same reason though. Not exciting but reliable.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really wanted to like this light, and probably would have bought one if I were an Apple user, or the Android app had ever come out, but now I'm glad I didn't.

I agree, the Quark Pro/Tactical lights were the pinnacle of the line, and probably their bread and butter when they could sell them. There are a lot of cool lights now, but nothing that fills the void caused by the greedy giant that only hurts good US based competitors that are within it's slimy lawyers reach.

I am glad more of you are able to take advantage of the liquidation, it is a one-time chance to get new Quarks cheap. Please buy more before I am tempted to order... again.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up two from the guy you posted about. Not sure why, but I've always been curious about them.

I really wanted to like this light, and probably would have bought one if I were an Apple user, or the Android app had ever come out, but now I'm glad I didn't.

I agree, the Quark Pro/Tactical lights were the pinnacle of the line, and probably their bread and butter when they could sell them. There are a lot of cool lights now, but nothing that fills the void caused by the greedy giant that only hurts good US based competitors that are within it's slimy lawyers reach.

I am glad more of you are able to take advantage of the liquidation, it is a one-time chance to get new Quarks cheap. Please buy more before I am tempted to order... again.

Jambo

Newly Enlightened
Couldn't agree more Hondo. I bought from David when he only sold fenix lights, then when he started foursevens, I loved his lights. For years I only bought foursevens, and I think it's a bloody shame what happened and he deserved better.
I was pretty excited when the Quark smart came out, but it's not really for me. I'm usually a bit of tech geek, but I guess I'm starting to move more towards the less is more sort of thing. I hope the quark smarts work out for him, and the new mini mk II too. Although I'm not really into twisties, I've heard great things about it and I'm kind of tempted.

A modern Quark click hitting around the 900 lumen mark, with just moonlight, low, medium, high and turbo would be my ideal light. 2xCR123A, as I like primaries for out in the field, and I prefer the size/form factor for EDC. Oh, and the pro tail switch. Not much to ask :D

Till then, I'll stick with my QP2L-X. Which I still use every night, and doesn't leave the house for fear of loss or damage. My favourite light ever! But I will be buying a foursevens light again, I'll just have to wait and see. 😄

pomah

Newly Enlightened
I agree, I love my QT2L-x, I allways know what mode it comes on in. I would love a quark smart with no side switch, bluetooth to set the mode and tail/head twist to select mode is a dream come true. Until then I can just assemble a new QT2L-X if needed from spare parts I guess... But I would love an upgrade in reflector and maybe even efficiency.

Last edited: