47's Preon Revo

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm thinking it might just stand, with careful balancing, on that tail lug. Looks nice, and the ultra efficiency is a big plus, but I think it won't be replacing my LF2XT. That doesn't mean that I won't get one anyway.

Geoff

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see any worthwhile reason to want this $47 ReVO over my ~$22 ITP A3 EOS Upgrade.

Lack of PWM is not worth anywhere near that much, to me, in a small keychain light and the basic outputs (l/m/h) of the ReVO are virtuall identical to the A3, which doesn't have those gimmicky (to me) outputs to clutter up the UI
The latest versions of the iTP A3 EOS Upgrade (currently just black and the now discontinued natural colours) now use a L-M-H mode sequence and they have increased the PWM frequency from 200 Hz to 1000 Hz, so that it is no longer noticeable.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really? That's good news. I may have to get a new one as I hate the M/L/H of the older ones. The Copper Maratac has L/M/H and I love it.

EDIT: Thanks Black Rose for the heads up on the new L/M/H UI of the iTP Black and Natural. I placed an order for some as well as a ReVO SS. Run-time test on low for both will ensue once they arrive. Hope the ReVo will come close to 40-50 hours on a Duraloop at least. Stay tuned!

The latest versions of the iTP A3 EOS Upgrade (currently just black and the now discontinued natural colours) now use a L-M-H mode sequence and they have increased the PWM frequency from 200 Hz to 1000 Hz, so that it is no longer noticeable.

Last edited:

notsofast

Enlightened
Really? That's good news. I may have to get a new one as I hate the M/L/H of the older ones. The Copper Maratac has L/M/H and I love it.

In most lights I too prefer L/M/H but the A3 is the only light I EDC. (unless I am out on an adverture)

I usually need it during the day and medium is the least amount of light usable. At night around the house I only use lights that come on in the low low mode.

Not really interested in the Revo. I liked the Preon 1 the short time I had it. (except the tint) Gave it to my mother for a birthday present.

nbp

Flashaholic
Really like the look of this light in stainless. Love love the tail. :thumbsup:

But I've already got an E01 for keychain duty and I usually EDC an LD01 SS or a Ti Mini AA as a backup to my Ra clickies. So while I quite like it, I'm not sure it's different enough from my LD01 SS or MiNi to warrant buying one. Now in a couple months if the SS are on the MP for $30 I would probably grab one.

I wish they had put this tail on the Ti MiNi instead of that ridiculous hole so small my smallest split rings barely fit in it and even then only at the opening where it's one wire thick. What were they thinking? That is my singular gripe on that light. :sigh:

yowzer

Enlightened
Nice looking light. If I'm ever in the market to replace the SS LD01 on my keychain, I think the SS revo would be my pick out of what's out there right now. If they do a neutral white run... :hitit: and retire the Fenix.

XP-E? I like XP-E. Haven't really been impressed by XP-G beam patterns...

SFfanman

Enlightened
I would have had an interest if it had an XP-G. In a small light, I'm not looking for throw and a small hotspot, I'm looking for more of a balanced beam with good spill. I too will stick to my CR2 mini.

+1 MOre FLood and LEss HOt SPot is where its at when it comes to AAA keychain-style lights.

so,

also,
i'm curious on the beamshots verses a xpg. i really like the floodier characteristics of the xpg on an aaa light. i find that an aaa format generally gets used as a close range where a broad beam is more suited. at least that's my experience.

+1. Agreed. :hitit:

liquidsix

Enlightened
Nice looking light. I thought the original preon was pretty ugly, they look like a little baseball bats.

So the lumen ratings doesnt say OTF like some of the other 4Sevens lights, do you think that is implied (question mark.... my keyboard is messed up)

Xak

Enlightened
Nice looking light. If I'm ever in the market to replace the SS LD01 on my keychain, I think the SS revo would be my pick out of what's out there right now. If they do a neutral white run... :hitit: and retire the Fenix.

XP-E? I like XP-E. Haven't really been impressed by XP-G beam patterns...

+1

I like my R2 Quarks compared to the XPG beamshots when I see them side by side, but I do prefer the floody XPG in smaller, keychain lights like my WW Quark mini CR2 and my IlluminaTi CA1.

ziptrickhead

Newly Enlightened
For me it seems to be the almost perfect neck light. Great runtime, low first UI, AAA battery, and most importantly a nice, beefy split ring attachment point. The only down side is that 4seven's didn't come out with a Ti version, but I guess I'll have to settle for the stainless steel version.

The biggest thing that stopped me from getting a Ti Preon was the split ring attachment point which didn't seem that strong.

Price is a bit high considering the ReVOs competition, but oh well. Since I plan on keeping this light for a long time I'm willing to pay the slightly higher price if I can get what I want.

combinatorix

Newly Enlightened
How long do you guys think they will wait before re-releasing it with an XP-G?

Looks nice though, I'd definitely want one in SS, although I will wait.

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Priced to be a Fenix LD01 killer perhaps? Can't wait to see some beamshots and tint comparisons at different output. (UnknownVT, you out there? :twothumbs)

Zendude

Enlightened
I like this light, I'm just hoping for a Ti version :D

+1

I find all the complaints about the price pretty funny. It shows how spoiled we are by the A3, E01, maratac, MiNi etc.

I definitely feel it's a step up from the preon 1(emitter aside) and the price simply reflects this.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
THANKS for the comment about Quark Minis having PWM and non AR Coated glass.

I was thinking AA Mini, but will still try instead to get an AA WW.

PWM unless it's really fast PWM bothers the heck out of me.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
I liked the original Preon. But only in the 2AAA version.
The single AAA was nearly unusable as a twisty (at least for me).

So yes, this one looks nice to me.

edit:
And its available in stainless steal, for not much more than the aluminium.
Nice.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
THANKS for the comment about Quark Minis having PWM and non AR Coated glass.

[...]

PWM unless it's really fast PWM bothers the heck out of me.

I find PWM really annoying too, especially when it is a low frequency - the ITP Eos, for example, is practically unusable (for me) because of the very perceptible PWM Effect.

Fortunately on the MiNi it's a much higher frequency, so the PWM is not that noticeable. It seems a little slower than on the Preon, but not enough to be a problem.

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
This REVO looks nice but I think it's really expensive for what it is.
The lack of a tailstanding feature in a pocket light is a deal breaker for me
as I really need the ability of using it in candle mode.
I don't see any advantage over the Mini AA and LF2XT I'm EDCing so I'll pass on purchasing this light...