47's Preon Revo

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I came close to ordering this light twice but both times backed off. For just a little bit more money I can buy the QAA or Q123 regular and have a true 0.2 lumen moon mode as well as a far brighter light in the case of the Q123. It'll be quite a bit bigger than the PReVO but it will be simpler than carrying both a MiNi 123 and the PReVO at the same time, which is what would happen if I buy it. I'm about to order an ITP A3 EOS upgrade edition, though. For the money I just could not resist.

sed6

Enlightened
...I just don't understand the reasoning behind this light.

Variety is the spice of life, or something like that. Personally I'm GLAD that not every light is for me. I can't afford to own every light out there, but I find a way to afford the ones I DO like.

It's refreshing to me that I own light's that appeal to me more than this one. Reaffirms that my existing lights are a good purchase.

Gusto

Newly Enlightened
For me it seems to be the almost perfect neck light. Great runtime, low first UI, AAA battery, and most importantly a nice, beefy split ring attachment point.

+ 1

If they release this in a neutral tint, it'll be my neck light (in aluminum over SS because of the lighter weight). Only downside for me, is it's more throw oriented than flood.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
+ 1

If they release this in a neutral tint, it'll be my neck light (in aluminum over SS because of the lighter weight). Only downside for me, is it's more throw oriented than flood.

But I guess that with such a small reflector it will still be quite wide hot spot and still not to consider throwy. I am looking forward to read the first report and review with beamshots!

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me it seems to be the almost perfect neck light. Great runtime, low first UI, AAA battery, and most importantly a nice, beefy split ring attachment point. The only down side is that 4seven's didn't come out with a Ti version, but I guess I'll have to settle for the stainless steel version.

The biggest thing that stopped me from getting a Ti Preon was the split ring attachment point which didn't seem that strong.

Price is a bit high considering the ReVOs competition, but oh well. Since I plan on keeping this light for a long time I'm willing to pay the slightly higher price if I can get what I want.

+1,i have the same thinking.

liquidsix

Enlightened
I'm going to guess 2-3 months before a neutral or warm version comes out.

I really like the body of this light. I wonder what the difference in weight is between the SS in this and the SS LD01.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
Build quality?

With all lights from 47 igot (well, they are all minis), i noticed only one problem with build quality, and thats the twisty action, combined with bad threads.

But in my experience (have most combinations of material and size) the problem is bigger with bigger light diameter (123s are poop, AA is good, CR2 no problem). So i would not thing that the AAA as any issues.
Anyways, i ordered it in stainless steel after seeing that picture in the other thread:
http://chows.smugmug.com/photos/982908981_8w6Eh-L.jpg
(I currently use 2 Mini AAs as EDC, in exchance. A Ti with an eneloop and an Al with 14450 cell. The size difference at the same brightness compared to the eneloop version did it).
Also, i am still missing by LD1 SS. It _has_ to be somewhere in my appartment, but no idea where...

ziptrickhead

Newly Enlightened
+ 1

Well I got my SS ReVO in the mail today and I LOVE IT! It's actually not that heavy for a SS light, although of course it is heavier than an aluminum light. It is lighter than the Fenix LD01 SS I had before, but that's probably because the overall size is smaller than the LD01.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size comparison for anyone who's interested. BTW, I see why they used an XP-E instead of an XP-G; the Revo has such a small reflector that the hotspot is actually larger than the Mini 123's hotspot.

DSC00943.jpg

Gusto

Newly Enlightened
BTW, I see why they used an XP-E instead of an XP-G; the Revo has such a small reflector that the hotspot is actually larger than the Mini 123's hotspot.
[/IMG]

:D This is good news. How is the spill compared to the Mini 123? any comparison beamshots, plz? :p

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's the deal with the asymmetric tail lug? Not that it matters. I suppose it's just stylin'.

Geoff

I suppose it's like you say, mostly for stylin'. I noticed that you can tailstand this light if you set it up gently, but all it takes is one little bump, and it falls over. For example, say you were to set it up tailstanding on a table, and you bumped the table, it would fall over. If you did the same on a very solid surface, it would remain standing as long as you didn't bump the light itself.

:D This is good news. How is the spill compared to the Mini 123? any comparison beamshots, plz? :p

When comparing the Mini 123 in Medium mode vs the Revo in High mode, the spill is brighter on the Revo, and the hotspot is noticeably larger on the Revo. When comparing the Mini 123 in High mode vs the Revo in High mode, the Mini 123 appears to have just a touch brighter spill, and the hotspot is closer to the size of the Revo's hotspot. The Mini 123 does have a larger spill area due to the larger reflector though. Beamshots will come, but I don't have time tonight.

purelite

Enlightened
I was looking at this light for EDC until I saw the above pic and as has been mentioned what the heck is up with the split ring attachment point? Its off center? For what reason? Why would they do that as opposed to centering it? Aesthetically it looks lopsided and I cant see any functional reasoning? They had the right idea in design and structure and then someone had the bright idea to offcenter it. :confused:

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not looking for throw and a small hotspot, I'm looking for more of a balanced beam with good spill. I too will stick to my CR2 mini.

Agree with you - really get on well with the MiNi interface. Since I'm very happy with my MiNi CR2, I'm not sure if the ReVO is for me though.

Current controlled levels, which don't make up for the price.

The E01 is popular because its bomb proof, simple, small, cheap and efficient. This maybe small, but its not as simple and therefore not as bomb proof. Its definitely not cheap. The E01 is a cool 12-15 bucks which is cheap and simple enough to gift or for intermittent use on a keychain.

The size difference between the AAA and AA is marginal at best but the power difference is significant, especially for a multi-mode. For about a few dollars more you can get a full sized Quark thats not much bigger and much much more efficient. Because the battery is small and doesn't hold much power, why bother with CC levels? XPG is more and more a selling point and with a keychain light does any really need 30m? Flood is much much more useful upclose and even a reflectorless XPG would be a great improvement. How many people sung the praises of the RGB because it was floody?

I just don't understand the reasoning behind this light.

I don't see any worthwhile reason to want this $47 ReVO over my ~$22 ITP A3 EOS Upgrade.

But I've already got an E01 for keychain duty and I usually EDC an LD01 SS or a Ti Mini AA as a backup to my Ra clickies. So while I quite like it, I'm not sure it's different enough from my LD01 SS or MiNi to warrant buying one.

I was going to write something down, but all of the CPFer's above had pretty much taken the words right out of my mouth. This light is not much of a difference really than the Mini's/PreOns which are less expensive than this light. All I really wanted was an "Upgraded" replacement for my Fenix E01 with longer runtime and a more up-to-date LED. The price is very unreasonable since the Preon I does the same job as this light (except for the difference in runtime) and atleast with the PreOn you have the option to use a clicky/twisty.

But going back to my comment on wanting an upgraded E01, Red02 pretty much summed it up completely. I like the E01 because of the Price, runtimeand durability. I do not want another light with the same UI as the previous 2 lights I had purchased from 4Sevens. I just want 1 low mode and that is it. I have so many other wonderful lights in my collection that screams brightness, I really do not need another one... unless it is really that big of a difference. I also would have liked a light that is has a very wide Flood as a keychain light, with an option to table-stand.