4Sevens Maelstrom S18 (SST-90, 6xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Question: How does the light stay within the 4.5v - 8.4v operating voltage even though it uses six 3v CR123s or six 4.2v RCR123s?
The batteries are in parallel, 3 stings of two batteries each.
Yes, that is the only conclusion I can draw as well (i.e. 2s3p arrangement). The voltage range is thus specific for each of the 3 channels (i.e. for each pair of batteries).

Incidentally, I see there is some consternation floating around in other threads about support for RCR and not 18650. On this front, I would note the original specs for the S18 were for 6xCR123A only. The support for 6xRCR seems to have been a very recent change, likely to help meet the rechargeable concerns of members here. Again, I'm only guessing, but I suspect they weren't able to get the circuit to work <4.5V per channel. :shrug:

HKJ

Flashaholic
So, in other words, each pair must be within 4.5v-8.4v?
Multiply that by three sets means the total voltage must be within 18v-25.2v?
Am I understanding this right?

Mostly, you can not talk of a higher voltage when running in parallel. Each slot in the battery cassette must have exactly the same voltage and it must be between 4.5 and 8.4 volt. You could probably also run the light with only one slot filled (but only on low).

Volvo

Newly Enlightened
Tnx for a nice review. :)
Too bad about that short runtime on high. :(
Is it because of the batteryconfiguration?

calflash

Enlightened
You could probably also run the light with only one slot filled (but only on low).

My guess is this is correct. The battery carrier looks like it uses a similarly designed cradle for the batteries as the Olight SR50 6x123 battery carrier. (At least the contacts of the carrier are similar.) The SR50 can run with only one battery slot filled (two batteries).

Last edited:

SHADE02

Newly Enlightened
Can somebody help me with this doubt.

How dangerous is to use it in 6 rcr123 batteries??

i have a few lights that use 2x 18650, and even if i charge it, at the same time, my 2x 18650 never get the same voltage.

So.. how many difference betwen the volts(in each rcr) can be in a safe area

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
You could probably also run the light with only one slot filled (but only on low).
Confirmed, the light illuminates on 4xCR123A or 2xCR123A. I wouldn't want to try and push this past the Lo mode, though (and before anyone asks, no, I'm not going to try it on Hi this way :rolleyes:).

How dangerous is to use it in 6 rcr123 batteries??
It's a good question, and one I'd like to see the battery experts chime in on. As always, I expect the risk is relatively low (especially with good quality cells), but it stands to reason the risk increases the more cells are involved (hence my warning in the review).

It my testing, using recent good quality AW protected RCRs, I noticed the residual resting voltages coming out of the light at the end of a run were pretty comparable among the cells (in the low 3V range). Of course, I made sure they were the same going in! But note that as cells age, the maximum resting voltage when fully charged drops somewhat (i.e. may be 4.22V hot off the charger when new, 4.14V after six months). I made a point of ensuring all my cells were 4.16-4.18V going in for the runtime test.

Erzengel

Enlightened
I think that some two cell lights are more dangerous. The current is distributed between the three stacks and therefore it should be rather low. I don't know the current rating, maybe someone else can clarify this.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a good question, and one I'd like to see the battery experts chime in on. As always, I expect the risk is relatively low (especially with good quality cells), but it stands to reason the risk increases the more cells are involved (hence my warning in the review).

It my testing, using recent good quality AW protected RCRs, I noticed the residual resting voltages coming out of the light at the end of a run were pretty comparable among the cells (in the low 3V range). Of course, I made sure they were the same going in! But note that as cells age, the maximum resting voltage when fully charged drops somewhat (i.e. may be 4.22V hot off the charger when new, 4.14V after six months). I made a point of ensuring all my cells were 4.16-4.18V going in for the runtime test.

So it stands to reason it's a always a good idea to own a multimeter but even more so if you plan on owning a S18, if you take a little extra time and and check your rcr123's voltage after they are depleted and then again after charging this can help keep everything safe. Check that your cr123's volatge matches up before mixing them together.

If it was me I would check the rcr123's voltage after you run the S18 for 30mins or so to make sure the capacity of all 6 are matching up ok, I would probably do this 3 or 4 times before I get confident with the cells but I would always do the checks before and after charging.

I'm really not sure either but I've never mixed cells with a voltage difference of >.1v, I would like to learn more if anyone knows any good "rules of thumb".

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Can you change mode levels with the tail cap selector ring while the light is on? For instance on the thrunite scorpion it doesn't do anything to the mode you are in to twist the tail cap ring with the light on - you have to turn it off and then turn it back on again to see the switch. But of course the G5 Maelstrom the modes change while the light is on as you rotate the head.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Too soon to ask if there is a belt holster out there that would fit?
Judging from the pics 4Sevens has released, it looks like it comes with a basic model hoslter (open in the bottom).

Can you change mode levels with the tail cap selector ring while the light is on? For instance on the thrunite scorpion it doesn't do anything to the mode you are in to twist the tail cap ring with the light on - you have to turn it off and then turn it back on again to see the switch. But of course the G5 Maelstrom the modes change while the light is on as you rotate the head.
Yes, you can change the output mode while the light is on. It is not like the Scorpion - the S18 works "on the fly", as you would expect. Basically, it works just like all the magnetic control rings (e.g. Eagletac, JetBeam, Nitecore, Sunwayman, etc.), just without any obvious detents (aside from the audible click as the mode changes). I have no idea how the switch works, but it feels somewhat mechanical (judging by the stiffer resistance and click).

SHADE02

Newly Enlightened
I think that some two cell lights are more dangerous. The current is distributed between the three stacks and therefore it should be rather low. I don't know the current rating, maybe someone else can clarify this.

So.. still nobody know how dangerous is to used it in 6 rcr? any answer to this manner?,I hope somebody could enlight me with this 2 things,because I really consider buy this light :(,
but am afraid of :poof:

due to hard task to maintain all batteries to the exact same volts:sick2:

Cruiser40

Newly Enlightened
Great review selfbuilt. I just bought the X10 and love it (except for the switch). May have to get the S18 also. Can always use, well want, another light.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bad about that short runtime on high. :(
Is it because of the batteryconfiguration?

Yes. 1 rcr123 cell only has 600mAh (despite the sticker on the cell that says slightly more). 2 rcr123a cells are roughly the size of one 18650. An 18650 with 2900mAh has much more capacity than 2 rcr123 cells with 1200mAh.

Primaries are a bit better. You get 1500mAh but you get less voltage than a lithium rechargeable cell so a single 18650 still has more capacity than two primary cr123a cells.

That is why you only get 35 min of run time using rcr123 cells in this light.

dosenfisch

Newly Enlightened
Does a 18650 fit in the battery holder? If this is possible, are you able to put the battery holder with 2 18650s back in the light?
Then its maybe possible to use this light with 2 18650s if you insulate 2 contacts and connect the batteries with a wire to put them in series.

xtestifyx

Newly Enlightened
Does a 18650 fit in the battery holder? If this is possible, are you able to put the battery holder with 2 18650s back in the light?
Then its maybe possible to use this light with 2 18650s if you insulate 2 contacts and connect the batteries with a wire to put them in series.
Nope, unfortunately the market for this light is more dedicated to LEO, where they need to use CR123's.

I find it sad too but we'll have to live with that. One would hope 4Sevens will make a special carrier, but I know the space is limited within the body