4sevens Maelstrom X10 Review with OTF lumens.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine and boy do I like this light. It's a nice compact size for what it does.
I of course had to do what I always do with a new light...

I'm like this with new guns too. I have about 5 holsters made for it before I even get a good chance to use it.

Holster pics please!

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cant read thru all this.

Does the X10 require a specific battery only supplied by 4sevens?

no. It uses a "standard" 26650 cell. 4sevens does sell 26650 cells for the light but you can also use a Redilast 26650 cell, AW 26650 cell, battery space 26650 cell, etc.

Claireandtim

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

sorry I've been absent on the beamshots as promised. I will keep the story as short as possible but basically this is what happened; I went out last week in an attempt to get the beamshots that failed to come together the first night I went out. To set the stage, I live in a rural neighborhood, there are no streetlights and everyone has at least one dog. The area where I had hoped to conduct the shots is at the end of my street, there is a gate and a gravel road that goes around a wing of a lake that I live on and there are various trees, cows and a few power poles.

I got out of the car, set up the tripod and then began grabbing out the lights (keep in mind that it is literally pitch black). I had my scanner on me because I regular listen to traffic from cal fire & the SO (I'm a volunteer fire fighter). Well, it didn't take long after I turned on the first light that one dog, at the house closest to me started going bananas.. I happen to know these people and they have a 1 month old baby and it was about 11 p.m. This of course started a chain reaction with 3 other dogs. I blacked out and sat low, hoping that they would forget about me or get pulled inside by their owners. So, after about 5 minutes I sparked up a light again and began to adjust the camera focus so that the images would be clear. I set up and began to take shots of the first light (S12) when I hear over the radio, the following, from the SO dispatch... P23XX respond to the area of Rio Alto and Windriver, report of a suspicious person, possibly trying to spotlight deer.. Needless to say, I got the heck outta there. I packed up and left, I didn't even get usable shots. I'm going to need to find a new spot or make a run another day after I can notify the neighbors that I'm going to be out with some lights..

In the meantime, +1 for the beamshot pics that were posted, nice job!

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
"but you can also use a Redilast 26650 cell, AW 26650 cell,"

I wasn't aware that Redilast and AW were now selling 26650s. Is this something pretty recent? I use the ones from Batteryspace which Lighthound sells as well.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys,

sorry I've been absent on the beamshots as promised. I will keep the story as short as possible but basically this is what happened; I went out last week in an attempt to get the beamshots that failed to come together the first night I went out. To set the stage, I live in a rural neighborhood, there are no streetlights and everyone has at least one dog. The area where I had hoped to conduct the shots is at the end of my street, there is a gate and a gravel road that goes around a wing of a lake that I live on and there are various trees, cows and a few power poles. o
I got out of the car, set up the tripod and then began grabbing out the lights (keep in mind that it is literally pitch black). I had my scanner on me because I regular listen to traffic from cal fire & the SO (I'm a volunteer fire fighter). Well, it didn't take long after I turned on the first light that one dog, at the house closest to me started going bananas.. I happen to know these people and they have a 1 month old baby and it was about 11 p.m. This of course started a chain reaction with 3 other dogs. I blacked out and sat low, hoping that they would forget about me or get pulled inside by their owners. So, after about 5 minutes I sparked up a light again and began to adjust the camera focus so that the images would be clear. I set up and began to take shots of the first light (S12) when I hear over the radio, the following, from the SO dispatch... P23XX respond to the area of Rio Alto and Windriver, report of a suspicious person, possibly trying to spotlight deer.. Needless to say, I got the heck outta there. I packed up and left, I didn't even get usable shots. I'm going to need to find a new spot or make a run another day after I can notify the neighbors that I'm going to be out with some lights..

Thanks for your attempt at getting some beam shots taken. I do appreciate your attempt. A lot of people on here don't even have the slightest clue what it takes to get some good beam shots up. It looks real easy to do, but that's not the case most of the time, especially if you want the image quality to be anything worth looking at. Again, I do appreciate your attempt.

Last edited:

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the X10 require a specific battery only supplied by 4sevens?

As long as the voltage is in the correct range for the X10, and the battery is the correct size (e.g., 26650 and not 26500), the light should function properly. The same may not always be said about S12 battery selection because of higher current draw, so you would also need to consider this too when choosing a battery for the S12.

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
"but you can also use a Redilast 26650 cell, AW 26650 cell,"

I wasn't aware that Redilast and AW were now selling 26650s. Is this something pretty recent? I use the ones from Batteryspace which Lighthound sells as well.

+1

Please enlighten us, tre.

Yes, Redilast (Tactical Hid) started selling 4000mAh IMR 26650 cells a few months back. here is the thread http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?249741-IMR-26650-4000mAh-sale-thread!

I've seen AW sell 26650 cells on and off. Here is one thread http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...-LiIon-Batteries-Sales-Thread-*Part-11*/page8

Edit: it looks like Tactical Hid did not brand the 26650 cells as Redilast for some reason (same company though). They would work fine in the S12 and X10 (10A max discharge!)

Last edited:

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks tre. The ones from Tactical look identical to the batteryspace/lighthound cells. It looks like AW is not currently selling 26650s which look interesting since they were rated at 4500mah instead of 4000mah.

luceat lux vestra

Enlightened
Hey guys,

sorry I've been absent on the beamshots as promised. I will keep the story as short as possible but basically this is what happened; I went out last week in an attempt to get the beamshots that failed to come together the first night I went out. To set the stage, I live in a rural neighborhood, there are no streetlights and everyone has at least one dog. The area where I had hoped to conduct the shots is at the end of my street, there is a gate and a gravel road that goes around a wing of a lake that I live on and there are various trees, cows and a few power poles.

Thanks for your attempt at getting some beam shots taken. I do appreciate your attempt. A lot of people on here don't even have the slightest clue what it takes to get some good beam shots up. It looks real easy to do, but that's not the case most of the time, especially if you want the image quality to be anything worth looking at. Again, I do appreciate your attempt.
Claireandtim, I think that you might have to find a better place to take beamshots LOL...
I have a great place, few streetlights and I can set up only 20 feet from my house, then 100 yards to a big pine tree. The only problem is that I don't have the huge collection of awesome flashlights like some of you guys.. O well you can't have it all. {personally though, I think I would rather have the flashlights}.:(

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Claireandtim, I think that you might have to find a better place to take beamshots LOL...
I have a great place, few streetlights and I can set up only 20 feet from my house, then 100 yards to a big pine tree. The only problem is that I don't have the huge collection of awesome flashlights like some of you guys.. O well you can't have it all. {personally though, I think I would rather have the flashlights}.:(
Luceat lux vestra,
I have a simular setup in my yard also. I have my X10 coming Thursday. I have all 47s lights(-S18), All of Skilhunts lights, Fenix TK-35, And Spark SL-6(&5)NW. Are any of these ones would you like to see compared? Thanks.
GL

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luceat lux vestra,
I have a simular setup in my yard also. I have my X10 coming Thursday. I have all 47s lights(-S18), All of Skilhunts lights, Fenix TK-35, And Spark SL-6(&5)NW. Are any of these ones would you like to see compared? Thanks.
GL

It has been a little to foggy for me the past few night's to really get a good idea of throw when comparing some of my lights with the X10 but from what I could tell the TK35 and X10 comparison was interesting so if your taking request I would suggest the TK35 and X10. Thanks

Purrkieset

Newly Enlightened
Vinh,

Nice work :thumbsup:. Do you know the distance each light was from the tree in the images (roughly)? Hope you don't mind that I put your images in motion. Using some of your images I made .gif's to make comparison a little easier.

X10-vs-S12-Beam-Shot.gif

X10-vs-M3C4-XM-L.gif

Exactly what I wanted, :goodjob:

mhphoto

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

Oh man! There's no good way outta that situation, haha. Thanks for the effort though!

My X10 should be coming tomorrow or Monday. I'll try and head down to the country to get some shots of it versus my other 4Sevens lights.

Last edited:

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I returned my X10 it was too green for me, quite noticeable against the desert sand where I intend to use it often.

Is the S12 really a battery hog in comparison? I was thinking about grabbing an S12 instead, but I feel like I could be making a bad purchase if the X10 is superior. It was quite bright, and it seems I have a lack of options to replace the X10 with, thinking about trying the S12 still, just don't want to buy something else I won't like.

Or should I just get another X10 and hope it's not as green as the first one, David said the one I sent back it was on par with other X10's and better than a few, so that has me worried. I'm not usually super picky, mine was similar to the bathroom shots posted. I snapped this picture with my cellphone and it looks about right on my monitor.

Malestorm right fenix tk10 left by Glamisduner, on Flickr

Guess I'm more picky than I would like to admit.... This is on the low setting. Ceiling was painted "Ultra Bright White" from Home Depo.

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
The X10 is a an excellent host in term of runtime, size and throw. The probelm is all X10 has a green tint and a under driven driver IMO. I modded my X10 to 4A and an XML-U2 and the tint and output is much mroe impressive!

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I returned my X10 it was too green for me, quite noticeable against the desert sand where I intend to use it often.

Is the S12 really a battery hog in comparison? I was thinking about grabbing an S12 instead, but I feel like I could be making a bad purchase if the X10 is superior. It was quite bright, and it seems I have a lack of options to replace the X10 with, thinking about trying the S12 still, just don't want to buy something else I won't like.

Or should I just get another X10 and hope it's not as green as the first one, David said the one I sent back it was on par with other X10's and better than a few, so that has me worried. I'm not usually super picky, mine was similar to the bathroom shots posted. I snapped this picture with my cellphone and it looks about right on my monitor.

Guess I'm more picky than I would like to admit.... This is on the low setting. Ceiling was painted "Ultra Bright White" from Home Depo.
Justintoxicated,
Do you plan on using only Low or did you notice the same greeninsh on high in the sands? I have 3 S12s and one X10, they all are really great tints, and have noticed that tint change only on the lower levels. They have the Turbo X right now in neutral white, that might better suit your needs :shrug:
GL