4Sevens Mini Tint Comparison - Warm, Neutral, Cool White - BEAMSHOTS & RUNTIMES!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: 4Sevens Mini Tint Comparison - Warm, Neutral, Cool White - BEAMSHOTS & RUNTIMES!

On the other hand, the neutrals seem like a compromise with minimal lost lumens, but then I heard they have the worst CRI. Then again, I'm like you and feel the cool whites are really quite acceptable and they don't feel unnatural. What to do:(?
To be honest, I wouldn't worry about CRI differences between the emitters tints. What Cree reports are "typical" CRIs, and there's a huge variance. Besides, the actual tint will alter your perception of what you are seeing anyway, which has a far greater impact than minor CRI differences.

If funds are tight, I don't see much point in trying out the other emitters just for sake of something different (although you could always re-sell on CPFMP). I am personally quite satisfied with cool white tints myself, and don't feel the need to switch. The Neutrals (especially these 4C/D ones) are a good compromise for those on the fence, but I don't know if its worth a switch. And the Warms are really for those who like incans and want something similar. Fair enough, although personally, it was the yellowness of incans that drove me to LEDs in the first place (along with efficiency, and later output level control). But I know a lot of people still like the "warmth." Different strokes for different folks ...

Re: 4Sevens Mini Tint Comparison - Warm, Neutral, Cool White - BEAMSHOTS & RUNTIMES!

Fair enough, although personally, it was the yellowness of incans that drove me to LEDs in the first place (along with efficiency, and later output level control). But I know a lot of people still like the "warmth." Different strokes for different folks ...

Very similar preferences and experiences here as well; I actually usually like cool white as my eyes don't see the blue unless I put it side by side with a warmer light.

Xak

Enlightened

Not being a guy who spends a ton of money on every latest and greatest light that comes out, I am very measured with the lights I purchase and find myself torn on which tint to get. I'm really quite set on getting a 4Sevens light, quite possibly the Preon 2. I'm probably like most of the market and want the brightest possible, but really have an inkling to try out a warm tint so I at least can say I have one and have tried it. On the other hand, the neutrals seem like a compromise with minimal lost lumens, but then I heard they have the worst CRI. Then again, I'm like you and feel the cool whites are really quite acceptable and they don't feel unnatural. What to do:(?

Got a Mini CR2 in Warm to see if I like the warm tint. I do. It has a hint of pink in the spill, and especially on low (like how cool whites have blue or purple sometimes) but in all it is a great tint. I still prefer my old Q123^2 neutral tint (I think it was XP-E Q5) and hope the new XP-G R4 lives up to it.

If 4Sevens would only make one in Turbo.....:mecry:

Got a Mini CR2 in Warm to see if I like the warm tint. I do. It has a hint of pink in the spill, and especially on low (like how cool whites have blue or purple sometimes) but in all it is a great tint. I still prefer my old Q123^2 neutral tint (I think it was XP-E Q5) and hope the new XP-G R4 lives up to it.

If 4Sevens would only make one in Turbo.....:mecry:

Thanks for the tip, but I think I'm done with twistys for anything but a keychain light (which I already have covered). I have a Ti Mini 123 which I bought for a keychain light. It turned out to be too big for keychain light for me, so I tried using it as an EDC. It definitely is not one hand friendly and that really annoys me. Even with two hands I still have to be very careful to not skip modes and frequently go through two cycles to get to high. Maybe you could blame the threads on the Ti, I don't know. It's sad because it has the best beam out of any light I own.

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast

so in a real world setting, which renders skin colors betters.. warm or neutral. I'm looking for use in the ER setting where I work. Anyone...anyone?
Thanks,
Dan

Xak

Enlightened

so in a real world setting, which renders skin colors betters.. warm or neutral. I'm looking for use in the ER setting where I work. Anyone...anyone?
Thanks,
Dan

I would say it depends on a few factors. When you say skin colors are you talking about determining if someone is cyonotic or ashen, lips and nail beds, or ENT? I think the warm tint is perfect for throat, pupils, etc. On a medium or high setting is good for skin, but is too pinkish/yellow on low for skin. In the ER, I must assume you mean ENT, not skin tone as there is plenty of lighting in the room itself. The neutral tint is good for skin as well, even on low.

Yeah, after shining both lights down my throat in the mirror I have to say the warm tint is much better, but the neutral is certainly adaquate. If you have use of the light outside the ER to illuminate a room and a patient during a 911 call I would go with the neutral, but again the warm would still be adaquate. I think you will be very happy with a Warm White tint if you're talking ENT. There is less perceived reflection of light, or shine, on mucus membranes and on a medium or high setting the skin color appears to be true. The warm on low is perfect with pupils, the neutral will function just fine here as well, but is a tad more harsh having more perceived brightness due to the tint.
BTW, I'm a 10+ year full time paramedic in a busy system. I use my lights and depend on them often. The Quark line will not let you down. I have an old Q123^2 that has taken such a beating that I had an AW 17670 cell in the light fail after a significant drop (yes the battery broke before the light did, a new battery and it worked just fine) but the light itself has never failed me.

Last edited:

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Xak! Praises and kudos given to you in the other thread you posted in as well!:thumbsup:

Dan

Sir Linus

Newly Enlightened

Many thanks to selfbuilt for the outstanding comparison images!

At least I now know that I prefer the neutral tint, but both of the others are acceptable. Makes my choices so much easier!

Also, thanks Xak providing a medical student with your insight on what tint is good in a medical setting. Just ordered a warm Preon II! Kudos!

-Linus

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

I would say it depends on a few factors.
Interesting observations - thanks for sharing them. :thumbsup:

I think in situations where there is a long-standing history of incandescent flashlight use (like medical professionals), the new warm emitters will go over the best. That is not necesarily because they render tissue differences better, but they render them in a way people are used to from long experience.

By the same token, someone who spent a lifetime learning and practicing under fluorescent lighting would probably find cool white too warm. :rolleyes:

But I agree that overall, this version of neutral is fairly pleasing. I would think most people would prefer it, except for those closely linked to incan use.

Of course, I'm still quite happy with all my cool white lights. :)

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast

Man oh man:D. I was sitting at work thinking to myself what would the tint differences look like in a real world setting (that is the warm and neutral) and decided to check on here if there were any. Should have known that the venerable Selfbuilt had a review:grin2:.

Good job.

seren

Newly Enlightened

Hey everybody, my first post here!

First of all, thank you selfbuilt for your inexhaustible ambition of making new (and quite helpful, mind you) reviews.
After reading your post and about a dozen other threads, I decided that I'll buy a Quark mini AA in NW as EDC.
The next one will probably be something from Itp (A2 I think).

Cheers

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

First of all, thank you selfbuilt for your inexhaustible ambition of making new (and quite helpful, mind you) reviews.
After reading your post and about a dozen other threads, I decided that I'll buy a Quark mini AA in NW as EDC.
The next one will probably be something from Itp (A2 I think).
:welcome: and thanks for the support.

Just curious, but what makes you want to pick up the ITP A2 after the 4Sevens Mini AA? They are basically the same light, only the A2 has a lower output emitter and lacks the special modes of the Mini. Of course, it's also cheaper ... :whistle:

seren

Newly Enlightened

Hey thanks for the welcome :)

Well one reason is that I want to try out the SS version (I know, I didn't mention which version of the A2 I was considering). Furthermore, I want to equip my family with keychain flashlights and since they don't need the "disco modes" anyway, I thought that the upgraded A2/A3 was a good choice.
Btw I ordered the Q-mini AA and its on its way. Although I haven't even received mine yet, I'm still looking for a new light. This time it will be a CW with a bit more throw because the NWs are considered to be floodier.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

This time it will be a CW with a bit more throw because the NWs are considered to be floodier.
Actually, the relative throw/flood for a given emitter class in a given reflector doesn't change. The Neutral/Warm Whites simply have lower output than the Cool White, resulting in less less overall output and less throw (but proportionally so). I don't think you will find the CW version of the same light any throwier in practice.

If you really want noticeably more throw, you would need to go to a bigger light with a larger and deeper reflector. This can sometimes still be had with Neutral White emitters (e.g. Fenix TK20, various Eagletacs, etc.).

led-it-be

Newly Enlightened

selfbuilt, why did you do that to me (actually you did it to my wallet)!?

Your comparison was so great, you MADE me buy a neutral Mini AA and some more 14500's just now! :twothumbs

But, you know, I don't think I'll regret it, and the Quarks are pretty cheap anyway!
(just trying to justify :whistle:)

Great work, thank you.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Your comparison was so great, you MADE me buy a neutral Mini AA and some more 14500's just now! :twothumbs
Enjoy, it's a nice light. But I wouldn't recommend running for extended lengths of time on Hi on 14500 - the light gets pretty hot, pretty fast. Same goes for the Mini 123s on RCR.

Incidentally, I see this thread is linked to on Doug Dyment's excellent onebag.com's flashlight page. The site is a how-to guide for traveling light - currently recommending the Mini AA.

Rather ironic, since it was that page that first led me here (back in the day in when the Inova X1 was his recommended pick - I'm that old! ;)). There is a long-standing CPF link for the "many who delight in spending countless hours discussing the subject" of flashlights. How true ... :whistle:

led-it-be

Newly Enlightened

I wouldn't recommend running for extended lengths of time on Hi on 14500
Got it.

Luckily the UI starts on Low, and me being a lazy user I'm not tempted to always turn it two times just to get to high. On other flashlights that start on high I just turn them on and leave it there, because it's so convenient. This one will only be on high to wow friends (or mostly myself? :))

I would love to go on and spend countless hours discussing the subject right now, I guess I'm in the right place!

ApoXX

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for posting this, selfbuilt! I find this subject to be fascinating; I have flashlights that span the gamut of color temperatures and I definitely can't say I have a favorite - it's very situational.

The effects of color temperature are not always visual, but also biological (circadian photoreception). For example, a cooler temperature may make one feel awake and alert - important if you're using a flashlight on the job. Whereas a warmer temperature is probably better just before bed and emulates sunset/fire. There's still a lot of research being done in this area, here's some interesting reading: http://www.lightinglab.fi/IEAAnnex45/guidebook/3_lighting quality.pdf

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Thanks for posting this, selfbuilt! I find this subject to be fascinating; I have flashlights that span the gamut of color temperatures and I definitely can't say I have a favorite - it's very situational.
It is a very good point - our perception of tint is not only subjective, but situational. Thanks for sharing.

To clarify, my original point to posting this thread was to examine how best to photograph different tints. At the time I wrote it, there were some who were suggesting using extreme white balances to better show warm tints (which drastically altered how the cool white tints looked). My position is that you need to stick to single white balance for fair comparisons - preferably an "average" one for the tints in question, but the typical "sunlight" WB works fiarly well in practice.

In real life, your brain does so much filtering and adjusting of tint differences that there is no static "pure white" tint. It is much the same as to how it is difficult for us to gauge relative output - we automatically adjust and correct for tint and brightness, to a large degree.

BTW, I was unable to recover any cache data for this thread, so I don't know if any posts were lost during the CPF outage period.

harisastro

Newly Enlightened

hi all, my first post here.the warm tint is surprisingly mimicking the incan light!! gonna be great to see that kind of light in medical use..