5.11 ATAC L1 and L2 flashlights

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Does it look something like this?

ATAC_A2_Runtime.png

Heh. It's even more severe with a non-protected 123a rechargeable, but a very similar pattern to the lithium AA primary you have.

I was playing with the L1 this morning at work. I got about 15 minutes on high, then a severe step down, then another 8-9 minutes of light, stepping down quick.

I suspect it goes from regulated to direct drive.

Sent from my HD2 using Tapatalk

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a comment from 5.11 about the regulation: the gradual drop in brightness was in response to law enforcement needs for extended runtime. Since typical LE flashlight use is less than 15 minutes (probably true for most flashlight use as well), if a flashlight is used for longer than that, extended runtime would be preferable to maximum brightness. If the light is power cycled, it will reset the timer.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can try an 80% duty cycle every 15 minutes, 12 minutes on and 3 minutes off. I did that with the XL200 and got fairly reasonable results.

Snareman

Enlightened
So with the UI, each time you press the button it cycles through the 3 settings? One of the things that annoys me with my SF Backup is that it does that. If I'm using it in a low light tactical type situation I do a momentary on at 120lms and then if I have to turn it on again with in the next 2 seconds I'm down at 5 lumens. At true tactical light like 5.11 should produce should be able to have a dedicated high output. Jetbeam has a great idea with the head tightened you get only bright and then with it slightly loosened you cycle through the other more EDC settings. Too bad they didn't execute that idea so well.

Last edited:

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Well, I need to call 5.11 tomorrow. I think I broke the switch. It's intermittently operating on the L2. I guess playing with it, cycling the switch and lockout plus using it caused the issue.

Snareman

Enlightened
I now own an ATAC A2. I had concerns about the UI, but I actually think it will work well.

Beastmaster

Enlightened
I contacted 5.11 today via their automated online system via SalesForce. We will see what type of response and how fast of a response I get.

-Steve

Snareman

Enlightened
Here's my vid on the 5.11 ATAC A2. I forgot to include it in the video but the beam has a pretty focused center with a decent amount of flood. I think the light is slightly off white (although I'm bad at telling these things). I think I'm going to pick up an ATAC L1. Does it seem like a good size for an EDC light?

purelite

Enlightened
Preety bad if the switch broke just from playing with it for awhile. Even if you cycled the switch 2000 times it should still be working fine.

This to me is why a "tactical" light intended for Police or Military should not utilize a complicated delicate circuitboard switch with a fancy ring thingy designed to entice the tech junkies . I would deem BeastMasters use to be normal non abusive light use even with fiddling/playing with the switch constantly.