500+ light choices... which actually get used? Your input?

MarkIAlbert

Newly Enlightened
The one question I have received most frequently in the FlashlightReviews.com mailbox is "can you help me pick a light...?". But one question I noticed no one ever asked is "Which light do YOU use for (x purpose)?" This always surprised me, considering the number of lights I have (had) access to...

... So now I'm curious; What lights have you chosen for these purposes (that actually see use - not shelf queens)?

Enjoy!
Doug P.

Here are my thoughts. I've added a few categories...

EDC Formal:
- Milky E2L and Milky L4 can be easily carried in any suit and deliver up to about 200 lumens (with the Acorn modules set at 1 amp)
EDC Casual:
- This is a tough one. Three are vying for top position: A Dereelight CL1H V3 - 3-stage Q5, a Milky SF E2L with 1-amp Acorn drop in, TIR lens and Cree Q5, and a Milky SF L4 with an acorn drop in and an SSC emitter. For general purpose, I go with the Dereelight. For flood, I go with the L4. For throw, I go with the E2L
EDC Travel:
- Olight T20 Q5 - This is a beautiful little light that fits anywhere, has multiple output settings, and can really light something up. It's also reasonably priced so if it gets lost by baggage handlers, I won't be too upset.
Water Use:
- UK HID-100. Fabulous dive light. I've used it since it first came out. I've been diving since 1972 and this is the best dive light I've ever used.
Bedside:
- Streamlight Ultrastinger - I keep it in its charger and it's always ready. It's bright, reliable and I like the way the charger discretly mounts on the wall next to my bed. I do not use it for reading. I wish it used Li Ion though...
Automobile:
- Streamlight HID Lightbox and Eagle LightHawk - I'm a firefighter so these are really good to have handy. I take the Light Hawk when I need a long-life lantern - The LightBox when I need to light up the side of a building.
ANSII jacket backup light:
- When the pager goes off at 3:00 in the morning, I don't always remember to bring everything I need, so having a backup set of tools where I might need them can in can come in handy. In my jacket, I keep a Leatherman, a Milky SF M2 with Acorn drop in, and a traffic wand (attachment).
Backyard Spotting:
- Warrior 3500. In addition to being a beatiful HID for the occasional need to 'light things up', it makes a pretty good sun lamp.
Nightime Walking:
- Peak LED First Responder - I love this light, but would love it even more if they would finally release a 2 x 18500 or 2 x 18650 option along with a forward clicky of higher quality.
Household Use:
- The Lumapower MRV is a great household light. Its bright, has good throw, and is durable enough to survive typical outdoor / around the house abuse by children, pets and non-flashaholic spouses.
Garage:
- I use a wired transportable fluorescent, since my garage has electricity.
Show-off-to flashaholic friends:
- Milky Gotham. This is a work of art. Hats off to Leaf and Milky on this one.
Bug-Out Bag (BOB):
- Petzl Myo XP, Mag 2D with LED drop in + extra batteries for both. Here you need enough light, long-lasting light and batteries you can find just about anywhere.
There can be only one! (custom):
- This one is just too tough. So many clever and beautiful mods out there. Based on my purchase behavior, I'd probably give the nod to Milky Spit's work. Keep up the good work, Scott.
There can be only one! (stock):
- SF makes a fabulous suite of lights and if I were picking the best all around manufacturer, they would without doubt take top honors. That being said, if I could only have one stock light to use for all of my lighting needs, it would have to be my Dereelight CL1H V3. It's really bright (230-250 Lumens), has three settings (including a long lasting low setting), is built like a tank, is compact enough (smallest 18650 light with P60 drop-in), is easily upgradeable and is (relatively) inexpensive. Hats off, Alan.
Most recommended to non-flashaholics:
- The Fenix 2AA is a great light for those who might thing that RCR 123s and Seoul SSC P4s are part numbers in a Sears lawn-mower repair catalog.
Most lumens for the buck:
- Kai Domain's 600 Lumen 3-emitter SSC light comes in under $50. I got one for my 12-year old who has used this light to become 'Manhunt' champion of our town.

The-David

Flashaholic, Formerly KE7AYF
EDC Formal: HDS-EDC 120P with tritium stainless bezel, My job dose not require me to be to formal. When I am in a more formal situation than this light goes in a jacket pocket.

EDC Casual: HDS-EDC 120P with tritium stainless bezel, backed up by 9P wit BOG Q5 Or U2 on 18650 carried in a jacket pocket.

EDC Travel: HDS-EDC 120P with tritium stainless bezel, U2 with 18650 in jacket and 9P BOG Q5 in bag along with 1 extra 18650, 1 extra CR123A and 10 extra 123's.

Water Use: U2 or Stream light PP4AA Lux 3

Bedside: 9P with POG Q5

Automobile: Whatever I happen to have on me plus a M@A 2 AA with Lithium AA's and LED conversion.

Backyard Spotting: 9P with BOG Q5 or ROP

Nightime Walking: U2 with 18605 (don't feal bad about running it) or HDS-EDC 120P

Household Use: All of my lighs are subject to this duty.

Garage: 4D M@g with 5W LED and defuse film on lens, Nice bright flood of light

Bug-Out Bag (BOB): M@g 2C LED and CPF 9V light (can't think the name right now) PP 4AA Lux 3, Head lamp.

There can be only one! (custom): My E1L mudded to SSC, still my brightest 1 cell light. (KL1R-S)

There can be only one! (stock): U2 with 18650

Most recommended to non-flashaholics: 2C m@g LED

Beastmaster

Enlightened
Here's mine. You might see a minor pattern here....

EDC Formal: Vital Gear FB1/Surefire E-Series Incan head w/AW ICR123A an LF bulb. This unit is small and unobtrusive enough for me to use, doesn't get in the way, and is bright enough to be used in an emergency. It's also very elegant looking and even smaller than the E1e.

EDC Casual: Combination of two - VG FB1/SureFire KL1 Head and an Aleph/Sandwich Shoppe 1x123/SureFire KL1 head with two stage switch. I end up carrying the Aleph in the front left pocket, and the VG unit in the coin pocket.

EDC Travel: SureFire G2L. Decent runtime, decent lighting, and sturdy.

Water Use: N/A - I live in a desert.

Bedside: Depends. Inside the house - a SureFire 9Z or Z2 with the Malkoff or BOG drop in. I also keep the Aleph/SS unit nearby so that I can use the low power option.

Automobile: My truck - Surefire 6PL. Wife's truck - SureFire G2L

Backyard Spotting: SureFire 9Z with Lumens Factory EO-9 module

Nightime Walking: Either a PentagonLight MOLLE, or an Inova X1

Household Use: Any one of the units in my pocket, or one of a bunch of 20 dollar Rock River 1AA Nuwai clones that I keep around.

Garage: Sears Craftsman cordless LED Shop lamp

Bug-Out Bag (BOB): A combination of SureFire 6PL's or G2L's, along with PentagonLight MOLLE's and a bunch of primaries for both.

There can be only one! (custom): GatLight (I *wish* I owned one)

There can be only one! (stock): Already got it - SureFire 6PL's

Most recommended to non-flashaholics: River Rock/Nuwai Luxeon 1xAA LED light from Target.

Brozneo

Enlightened
EDC Formal: Milky ML-1 Smooth
EDC Casual: as above
EDC Travel: as above plus A2
Water Use: n/a
Bedside: ROP LOLA / Fenix P2D Rebel / SF G2 / LumaPower M1
Automobile: Fenix P2D Cree
Backyard Spotting: Either Mag11 / Mag85 / SF M6
Nightime Walking: ROP LOLA
Household Use: SF G2 w/ Malkoff Drop-In
Garage: n/a
Bug-Out Bag (BOB): n/a
There can be only one! (custom): Milky ML-1
There can be only one! (stock): A2
Most recommended to non-flashaholics: P2D Rebel

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a fun game! I'll play;

EDC Formal: Photon Proton Pro. Slim enough to easily co-exist with a suit.

EDC Casual: Surefire L1

EDC Travel: Surefire L1

Water Use: I don't do that

Bedside: PAL light - lets me find the big guns

Automobile: HID of some sort, plus a Wolfeyes Storm which recently diplaced my Tristar Phaser.

Backyard Spotting: HID or Streamlight Ultrastinger

Nightime Walking: Not sure. Whatever I'm carrying. L1 I guess.

Household Use: L1

Garage: Overhead trouble lights.

Bug-Out Bag (BOB): Not really a BOB - I carry a crash kit (I'm a part time EMT). An Inova X5 and a Welch Allyn exam light.

There can be only one! (custom): None

There can be only one! (stock): Only one? L1.

Most recommended to non-flashaholics: I suppose I'd push a common light like a MagLed on the uninitiated. Something that runs off common cells and is easy to find. You have to remember that, according to 99.5% or the world's population, we're not altogether sane and spending more than, say, $50 on a flashlight is sheer madness. Surefire is exotic. Streamlight is uber-high end. Maglight is on TV :)

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Heres my list

EDC Formal: I use my regular EDC everywhere I go, so even at formal occasions it will tag along! Other than that I usually have my keys w coin cell light, and around neck a Photon freedom.

EDC Casual: Fenix L1T/L2T V.2 head on 1 X CR123 body and momentary clicky tailcap, plus key light, and photon.

EDC Travel: Don´t travel so much, but if/when I do i would bring my regular EDC, and choose a bigger light for where im going if i think i might need it, otherwise just the EDC kit.

Water Use: I bought a Pelican Sabre 2000, havent tried it yet though. And a UK 2AAA eLed, not been tried in water either yet.

Bedside: :eek:....dont really have one.... My lights are not far away from the bed, and I dont have any place to put a light right next to my bed.

Automobile: Currently dont own a car, when I did I had a MagLite 4D in the trunk, got rid of that after the tailcap went dead from moisture.

Backyard Spotting: This would be my 2D ROP and SF 9P w HO-9 or EO-9 LF bulb.

Nightime Walking: I bring my EDC, other than that I usually bring the 9P.

Household Use: This is the Pelican Sabre, out of battery's right now, so at the moment none!

Garage: again :eek:.... dont have one there either! I used to have a real cheap one there, have to get a cheapy to place there.

Bug-Out Bag (BOB): I dont have an actual BOB, but i do stuff a lot of the stuff (knives, lights, accessories, EMC kit etc) into small bags, and have a bigger one to take them, ready. I guess that would be my BOB, I would bring every light, knife, battery with me! Its not as many as most of you.. :)

There can be only one! (custom): The closest to a custom is a SF 6P with the new light kit from Opticsqh.

There can be only one! (stock): Hmm...Might have to go with the SF A2, its the most versatile light i own thats stock.

Most recommended to non-flashaholics: Tuff one, havent recommended a lot of lights to non-flashaholics, try to enlighten them and sell them one of mine so I can fund a new one! :) Other than that I probably would say Fenix.

Riddick

Newly Enlightened
I'm in :cool:

EDC formal: L1 cree

EDC casual: L1 cree

EDC travel: L1 cree

Water use: Princeton tec Impact XL

Bedside: L1 luxIII

Auto/Truck: Propolly 4AA luxeon

Backyard: L1 cree for now, soon it will be a 6Pled

Walking at night: L1 cree for now, soon it will be a 6Pled

Household/Powerfailure: Inova X5 / L1 luxIII

Camp/Hike: L1 luxIII

Garage: don't have one, parking lot: L1 cree

Bug out Bag: soon will be G2led and an X5

Custom can only have one: Sure wish I could afford one, but I do have a
backup for all my lights, 2 L1 crees, 2 X5s, 2
L1 luxIIIs and the 6Pled will team up with the
G2led and a Malkoff if I can get my hands on
one

Stock there can be only one: SureFire L1 Cree, pretty hard to beat :D

Turn on a non flashaholic: Inova X5 or SureFire L1 Cree :nana:

Dark Matter

Newly Enlightened
I'm game! Here goes!

EDC Formal: Arc AAA-P DS or Liteflux LF2 w/ e2 lithium or LOD CE
EDC Casual: Nautilus Hardcoat
EDC Travel: Proton Pro Cree/Red3mm LED w/ e2 lithium & Lumapower LM31 w/ e2 lithium (AA only for international travel)
Water Use: Princeton Tec Attitude for Swim Laps
Bedside: Novatac 120P / SF L1 Cree
Automobile: Lowes Taskforce 2C w/ Cree; Brinkman Maxfire LX; & 3D Mag Backyard Spotting: Tiablo A-9 OP
Nightime Walking: Novatac 120P on neck lanyard
Household Use: Mag 3D
Garage: Mag 3D
Bug-Out Bag (BOB): P1D CE; L1D CE; SL Propoly 2AA LED; Zebralight H-50 Q5 & Gerber Infinity Ultra
There can be only one! (custom): ??? Upcoming HDS Twisty ???
There can be only one! (stock): SF L1 Cree
Most recommended to non-flashaholics: Fenix L2D CE 2 AA

RichM

Newly Enlightened
EDC Formal: P1D-CE Q5, Lighthound Keychain light, (10 extra keychain lights in my jacket pocket for hand-outs.)
EDC Casual: Same
EDC Travel: Same, plus SF P6D with Wolf Eyes 260 Lumen Drop-in
Water Use: N/A
Bedside: P1D-CE Q5, P6D with Cree Drop-in, Lowes TaskForce 2C Cree
Automobile: Passenger Compartment: 3D Cell Maglite w/LED, SF 6PD w/Led Drop-in, Lowes TaskForce 2C Cree. In the trunk: Sam's/Vector HID, 6volt lantern w/6AHgel cell
Backyard Spotting: Sam's Club HID, Lowes TF 2C Cree, P1D-CE, SF 6P w/LED drop-in
Nightime Walking: P1D-CE, SF 6PD LED, Lowes TF 2C CREE
Household Use: Keychain lights, P1D-CE, Lowes TF 2C CREE, SF 6P w/LED, Mini-mags with LEDs, 3D Maglites w/LED drop-ins
Garage: 2x Sam's HID, 2x Lowes 2C CREE, 3x 6 volt Lanterns w/gel-cells, LED Mini-Maglites
Bug-Out Bag (BOB):
There can be only one! (custom):
There can be only one! (stock):
Most recommended to non-flashaholics: Lowes TaskForce 2C Cree,

I often buy multiples of lights I've liked at the time:
8 - Lowes TaskForce 2C Crees
7 - Sam's HID Spotlights
2 - SF 6P w/LED drop-ins
4 - SF 6PD w/LED drop-ins
5 - P1D-CE Q5
4 - P1-CE
6 - 3D cell Maglites w/LED upgrades
6 - Mini-maglites w/LED upgrades
100+ - LED Keychain lights (I've already given away 200+) They're always a big hit.

(I just realized after re-reading this, I think I've converted almost EVERYTHING to LEDS except the 6-volt lanterns & HID spotlights!)

Last edited:
EDC Formal: Fenix P1-CE
EDC Casual: Novatac 120E
EDC Travel: Fenix P2D
Water Use: No need
Bedside: Gerber Infinity Ultra
Automobile: Gerber Infinity Ultra, 4D Maglite w/LED upgrade, cheap 4D lantern, Pelican Mini Flasher
Backyard Spotting: Tiablo A9 (coming soon)
Nightime Walking: Surefire L4
Household Use: Surefire L4
Garage: Surefire E1L cree
Bug-Out Bag (BOB): HDS 70 TW (coming soon) Gerber Infinity Ultra
There can be only one! (custom): N/A
There can be only one! (stock): Not possible
Most recommended to non-flashaholics: Fenix P1-CE

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread, I can't believe I missed it until now!

EDC Formal: Don't go formal too often, last time was with an ORB RAW Lux III - next time will be with my ARC LS Flupic with polished Nickel plating - Blingeriffic!! Not forgetting a Wee Ti on the neck.

EDC Casual: Fenix P3D Q5 and ARC AAA-P

EDC Travel: Same as casual EDC.

Water Use: Haven't gone there in the dark!!

Bedside: Red ARC AAA, and the Fenix P3D Q5.

Automobile: MagLed 2D, Mag 2C 2 x CR123A 'Sleeper' and a Gerber LX3.

Backyard Spotting: Tends to be the EDC - Fenix P3D Q5

Nightime Walking: Like to walk without lights but Mag 2C 'Sleeper' for spotting or back to the old EDC.

Household Use: Everybody has access to various Mags, a Dorcy or two, Fenixes, No names...etc.

Garage: Nothing specific

Bug-Out Bag (BOB): Not BOB but my carry-everywhere bag has loads of lights - ARCs, Fenixes, INOVA X5, Petzl headlamps, Surefire C2 etc.

There can be only one! (custom): My lovely Bling - ARC LS flupic ( Shiny, shiny)

There can be only one! (stock): Fenix P3D Q5

Most recommended to non-flashaholics: (most recent recommendation) - Fenix LOD Q4. She was very happy!

Be lucky...

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDC Formal: Chrome Drake
EDC Casual: Fenix E01, Arc-AAA P GS, NiteCore Defender Infinity, and/or Muyshondt Nautilus
EDC Travel: Fenix E01 and Muyshondt Nautilus
Water Use: Fenix TK10
Bedside: NovaTac 120P
Automobile:
Backyard Spotting: Tiablo A9 Q5
Nightime Walking: Milky P7 Optimator on a Z2
Household Use: Fenix L0D CE Q4 with a StreamLight MicroStream clickie
Garage:
Bug-Out Bag (BOB): Fenix TK10, Zebralight H50-Q5, Lithium Glo-Toob
There can be only one! (custom): McGizmo Original Ti PD
There can be only one! (stock): NovaTac 120P
Most recommended to non-flashaholics: Fenix E01, Fenix L0D CE Q4, Fenix TK10, Zebralight H50-Q5

Last edited:

dulridge

Enlightened
EDC Formal: Orb Raw - either Cree or Luxeon 3. I have to work formally dressed but the Raw lives on my belt in a holster that came with a TwinTask 1 clone. If really, really formal - Photon Rex. This is maybe twice a year as I wear robes when conducting funerals and you could wear a 6D mag under those without anyone noticing. For that matter, you could hide about 6 Thors and a couple of rifles before anyone noticed that I was collapsing under the weight.

EDC Casual: Orb Raw

EDC Travel: Orb Raw - depends on where I'm going, but quite likely about a dozen others.

Water Use: Don't do water. Whatever happens to be on me that isn't an Orb Raw.

Bedside:Mag 6D ROP High

Automobile: No-name headlamp. If I didn't like my Zebralight Q5 so much it would live in the motor. Instead it tends to live in my pockets.

Backyard Spotting: Either 6D ROP, Romisen T5 quad Cree, or Vector 3MCP spotlight if the SLA hadn't died. Probably the spotlight if it worked.

Nightime Walking: Probably P3D running on 17670. If walking for a long time, might use CR123 cells instead.

Household Use:Ultrafire C3 single mode running on 14500

Garage: Dead car in there and mains power so light switch usually - or whatever I have on me.

Bug-Out Bag (BOB): Don't own such a thing - would be a minimag LED 3xAA probably

There can be only one! (custom): Orb Raw Cree. They are just nice. If I owned one, a CR2 Ion.

There can be only one! (stock): Don't own many other than no-name specials all of which have now been modded - probably Ultrafire 606A Luxeon running a CR2.

Most recommended to non-flashaholics: Fauxton. Send these in packs of 50 to Sri Lankan friends and my dentist who uses them in India. Am about to try him on the Zebralight headlamp which may just be the perfect dentist's headlamp.

Last edited:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK - I'd like to play too........

EDC Formal: Orb NS Wee on my keychain + Arc DS AAA in my Laptop bag
EDC Casual: TiPD-S Non Mizer in AoTH Holster
EDC Travel: TiPD-S Non Mizer in AoTH Holster
Water Use: N/A
Bedside: Seoul Modded HDS Basic with Trit Bezel for locating in the dark
Automobile: Milky L1 - oddball choice I know but I never got round to drop ins for my larger Mags
Backyard Spotting: Skalo/Hodsta Monsta (7xSeoul HA Mag running on 2x C-Li ions)
Nightime Walking: TiPD-S Non Mizer
Household Use: TiPD Mule
Garage: N/A
Bug-Out Bag (BOB): TiPD-S Mizer + S27C + 27LT-S + Nova 120P
There can be only one! (custom): TiPD-S with Trit Bezel
There can be only one! (stock): Novatac 120P
Most recommended to non-flashaholics: Novatac 120P

The TiPD-S is fairly triumphant and having found it am on a mission to scale down my light collection.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDC Formal: McLuxIII PD-s and Mule PD
EDC Casual: McLuxIII PD-s and Mule PD
EDC Travel: McLuxIII PD-s and Mule PD, X464 Milky KL2
Water Use:
Bedside: Z46 MN11 Leef SW02
Automobile: KL6 Milky, Z46 MN11 Leef SW02
Backyard Spotting: KL6 Milky
Nightime Walking: McLuxIII PD-s
Household Use: Mule PD
Garage: McLuxIII PD-s Mule PD
Bug-Out Bag (BOB): KL6 Milky, Z46 MN11 Leef SW02
There can be only one! (custom): McLuxIII PD-s
There can be only one! (stock): SF L1 Cree, Price, Size and Performance.
Most recommended to non-flashaholics: SF L4

Latest posts