500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm down for one HA love the red highlights reminds me of an EZnite HID which is also rated at 500lm

I know a SECRET

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm so stoked about these! The surprise was cool!

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speechless ! Read the email, the secret floored me :thumbsup: :eek: Awesome! Have not " needed " a light this bad for a long time. Your thread and product design are a "10" and all others will be judged against yours. :thumbsup:

Put me down for several complete packages!! :whistle:

mrbickelsworth

Newly Enlightened
Awesoooome! the secret is indeed very cool. I can't wait for this light! glad to see that youre putting in the effort to get it right too, rather than rush production. definitely better in the long run, and its just better to get it right the first time. keep it up!

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good Morning to everyone and HAPPY NEW YEAR :wave:

Thanks for all the posts and here come my replies (I will post 5 at a time so hopefully I dont break the CPF system or overload it).

tgwnn, I have been following along with your progress on the MPI Torpedo for a few weeks and the latest email update forced me to finally register on cpf. The "Secret Thing" is awesome and I am definitely in for a Torpedo, probably one of the warmer LED versions, and a couple of the 10250 Nuke's. I hope the last of the issues with the Torpedo aren't too difficult to overcome and production can begin soon. Thanks for all the hard work you have done to create this light.

motohanks,
:welcome:
Thank you for posting!
I think everything can be overcome, all it takes is having enough time to get it right ;)

The update looks amazing! Should be interesting shipping that through customs in large batches... ;-). BTW, did you fix your white balance for those beam shots? There just seems to be quite a bit of variability in color temperature between the various shots. I'm anxious to see the 6500k...
Sno4Life,
Thank you. Customs, yes agreed. I can only imagine the look on the face of the inspector, especially if there are a few.
I was thinking of a custom case for holding 6 of the secret things, but I don't want them (customs guy) to break into a cold sweat.

About color temp. Sorry I used my small digital camera and wasn't able to fix/freeze the settings to be the same.
I do have a new digital SLR just for the beam shots so I will use that (though I need to read the manual) when I have the 6500K (&4500K) and can take some shots on high :)

Read the whole email twice.... fantastic work....
Thanks stoli :)

Looks fantastic, I'd go for the black! The red ring looks good :) and as for the "secret" LOL I like that :twothumbs
Thank you Iamnuts.
...and for the record, I am nuts too ;)

Looks good! It sounds like you're closing in on a final version.
Keep it up! I'm really looking forward to it.
Please consider a natural HA version!
Hi Jabe,
Definitely getting closer with each update.
Im open to various finishes :thumbsup:
I hope to get the first production run done, then will take a survey on finishes and other options,
and hope to offer as many as I can, as long as cost makes sense for everyone :)

tgwnn

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
Subscribed. Any chance of a full knurl version or no knurl version in 6/4 Titanium?

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm following the previews thread for a while and also received the email update. I've just registered at CPF to say that I'm a fan of your work by so far!!! Really can't wait to see the final result of the Torpedo light.
Do you want to share more information about the "Secret Thing", or will that be a surprise for later?
I do sincerely hope you will ship the Torpedo also outside the US to the Netherlands

theodouma,
:welcome:
Thanks for posting/joining :)
Not sure about the secret thing, I guess when it leaks out, thats ok. I was mainly hoping to hold on to it to prevent a copy before the Torpedo is ready. Its made of aluminium, coated, and the lettering is laser engraved.
Shipping, of course, that will be my pleasure, anywhere the postman delivers!

Every update i see makes me want this light more and more. The secret thing im going to assume will be an extra carrying case that we can purchase? If it is im hoping it will be reasonably prices as well, id REALLY like one those, its so neat :D
Im budgeting myself to 5 lights a year from now on. and so far, the Torpedo, your ti pendant, and the 40dd (if i can nab one) are the only 3 im looking forward to. Hoping to get a couple of pendants actually so i can give one to my uncle.
Keep up the amazing work :) The designs are really neat!

Thank you GrimCreaper,
My goal is to keep the prices of everything reasonable. I have to wait a little to work out what the final pricing will be as I need to take into account the molding costs of everything (just about everything except for the o-rings and led are custom designed) but my goal is to make the secret a part of the standard offering.
Thanks also for the feedback on the Core Ti. I have some updated designs/proto's to share, just need a little time but hoping in the next day or two ;)
The Core Ti came in very handy last night. I was sneaking about in the wee hours to do the update and dropped my phone under the bed. It took me less than a second to have it on, and grab my phone without waking anybody.

Just read the email, ridiculously cool, you probably feel pressured (not sure that's an english word) by our enthusiasm and anticipation but please by all means take your time to iron out every little detail and enventually sleep a little bit, nobody wants a bug to slip through and ruin the whole thing.
Definitly buying a few (if possible) as soon as available (and then of course a few others when available in Ti).
Happy new year everybody !

Thanks romteb,

Glad you enjoyed the update.
I'm wanting to get this to a production ready version asap but as you mentioned, I also want it to be perfect so no cutting corners to get more speed, just running harder :)

Hey tgwnn,
Great update! I particularly liked the beam/size comparisons and the "secret thing"! I love my itp eos a03 as a keychain light and it is incredible to see the power and versatility that you have packed into the same size!
The beam looks awesome!
Are there any plans to allow a torpedo to be attached as a keychain light? Forgive me if this has been discussed or answered already. I couldn't help but think of that after seeing it next to the itp eos.

Hi rlcrisp,
Thank you :)
keychain, yes of course :thumbsup:
there is a small lanyard hole in the center of the tail that allows you to attach a keychain, and still keep the torpedo tailstanding. I'll see if I can take a photo of this and post it.

I love the black version! How long does the 10250 power it at the 100lm level? (Theoretically, if you haven't tested it yet...) one hour?
Hi Sno4Life,
Thanks. My guess is about 20minutes (though not tested yet so it could be more/less).

:wave:
tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. No Name - thanks for the detailed email update and great pictures.
Are black HA and bare aluminum are going to be the only finish options? I love the look of the bare aluminum, but am concerned it will oxidize. Will polishing keep the finish intact?
As romteb said, as much as we all want to get our hands on your amazing little lights, please take your time and get everything just right. Happy New Year.:)
Hi sassaquin,
my pleasure of course!
Good point on the aluminum. Its a proto to give you an idea of what a silver-ish version could look like.
Not sure if polishing it will prevent oxidation. An SS version is the next easiest to do as the current workshop is very familiar with it.
Other finish options are a possibility after the first production run.
About taking my time, yes agreed, thank you and HNY too :D

Thank you smarkum :)

WOW
can't waite
Thanks jgray :twothumbs

I'm down for one HA love the red highlights reminds me of an EZnite HID which is also rated at 500lm

I know a SECRET
Thanks nein166 :thumbsup:

I'm so stoked about these! The surprise was cool!
Thanks Tixx :D

tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speechless ! Read the email, the secret floored me :thumbsup: :eek: Awesome! Have not " needed " a light this bad for a long time. Your thread and product design are a "10" and all others will be judged against yours. :thumbsup:
Put me down for several complete packages!! :whistle:
Thanks sledhead,
Very glad you enjoyed the secret :)
Thank you for the OVERLY kind words (and thanks to everyone) :D
I sincerely appreciate your compliment though humbly I must say, there are many wonderful and far more experienced makers of superb lights here on cpf and I've been fortunate to learn more than a few things from them, but I'm doing my best to try and bring a new flavor and direction in terms of design and creation to the flashlight world.

I remember reading a funny thread here something to the tune of "why are looks so important for just a tool"?
Someone pointed out that if the design was so that it looked like something the dog left behind, would you use it less/more or even buy it? Inspiring stuff.
I could never understand why some of the $$$$ lights came in a package similar to a disposable shaver :confused:
That being said, the simple packaging has no impact on the quality of some of the most amazing lights.

That's the beauty of the free market. We can make whatever we like but at the end of the day, you are the judge.
Hopefully I'm headed in the right direction ;)

Awesoooome! the secret is indeed very cool. I can't wait for this light! glad to see that youre putting in the effort to get it right too, rather than rush production. definitely better in the long run, and its just better to get it right the first time. keep it up!
Thanks mrbickelsworth,
So glad you liked it and yes, I totally agree that "recalls" suck so getting it right the first time is the only way to go.
Reminds me of the saying "If you don't have time to come back and fix the bugs, make sure your get it right the first time!"
:thumbsup:

Am I seeing 3 bodies there?!!
It looks like 10250, 10440, and the expandable?

Wow, simply stunning.

Hi jabe,
Very sharp eyes!
In the tube (its a proto), yes there are 3 bodies.
The 2nd small body is a proto where the tail cap can be unscrewed and removed.
I was hoping we could use this to secure the clip but unless we increase the length, the threading will be too short and not have enough strength for long term use.
For now, still planning to include the 2 bodies (10440 & Adjustable 10250).

Subscribed. Any chance of a full knurl version or no knurl version in 6/4 Titanium?
Hi bmstrong,
thanks for subscribing :thumbsup:
Sure, there is always a chance. I can't make any concrete promise at this stage but as I usually mention,
its only a question of timing/demand. With enough demand, it can be made at a reasonable price

tgwnn

cistallus

Enlightened
tgwnn,

After finally reading all threads in their entirety, I am very excited about this light!

A few bits of feedback and questions. If any ideas can't be incorporated in the current version, please keep in mind for later revisions:
  • Firefly: I was concerned about no firefly mode but it sounds like the actual level combined with the floody beam will be low enough.
  • GITD: Since there's no trit option (even though it looks like it's easily done as DIY project), how about providing a GITD O-ring that can just be slipped over the body? Or if there is an O-ring under the lens, put it there?
  • Memory: I am glad there is no memory - operation seems simple and intuitive.
  • Spacing: I have the LiteFlux LF2X (twisty version of LF2XT), its mode space stops are at 90 degrees, which is good, but your 120 degrees could be fine, just have to see.
  • Fast-On?: What is the mode switch time? If you spin it looser really quick can you get to Turbo in like 0.3 seconds, or are there delays?
  • Battery change: I agree with this post https://www.candlepowerforums.com/index.php?posts/3744948/ that it would be nice to avoid a blast in the face when changing battery. Logically, from no battery to battery, stay dark and either just delay 1 second, or wait until twist to off, before normal operation.
  • Operation: Tighten for off is fantastic, LF2X does it and I love it. The revised electronic version with electronic lockout is not quite as ideal but with that low of a parasitic drain it should in practice be fine. (Just means that if a Torpedo is in your EOTWAWKI kit, have head untwisted from body so no battery contact).
  • Price: love the reasonable price, but don't short yourself of enough profit to fund further R&D, cover contingencies like warranty/recall, and keep going creating fantastic lights!
  • Lens: what about a slip-over lens? Since it could be a bit bigger and even longer, could that work to get somewhat more of a focused beam for when that is needed?
  • Glass: is it an open reflector like E01, no glass lens in front? That might be good to reduce lumen loss, keep it simple and more rugged. As long as it can still be IPX8.
  • Diffuser: If the good ol' chapstick-cap trick doesn't work on this light, please find/recommend/offer something that does. I am talking about a lantern-type diffuser, where you are using it as a tiny candle lantern, not a beam diffuser which seems kind of unnecessary on this light.
  • Rugged: is it, overall? Is wall thickness good? I don't mean like an HDS, but at least not thin.
  • Tint: I like that a neutral tint is most likely. Will that mean it won't quite be 500 emitter lumens though?
  • Length: Both the web site front page and post 1 in part 1 still show AAA as 65mm or 66mm long, as opposed to around 82mm of e.g. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/index.php?posts/3751439/.
  • Colors: Different body colors would be nice - like iTP - or do like 38DD and just work with an anodizing partner who can do all that work.
  • Interactive: Thank you for being so responsive - so many designers/manufacturers are less than transparent - this thread is wonderful!
  • Batteries: I'd probably get a couple of each size.
  • Inductor: one recent pic showed a [relatively] huge inductor - I thought some early post mentioned there'd be an SMD inductor to save space - that didn't work out?
  • Payment: will I need to have a PayPal account to purchase one?
  • Web site: News page way out of date - maybe eliminate it and just point to CPF thread(s) in navigation sidebar?
  • XM-L U2: Any chance of this higher-efficiency LED, maybe hand-selected if necessary for good tint?
  • Manual:
    • Insure it is OK (legal) to use ANSI icons if you aren't going to get the (expensive) real FL1 certification.
    • Page 4: Saftey
    • Page 6: Eneloop should have the same voltage designation as NiMh, since it is.
    • Features: I don't know if Tactical (two places) is the right term for such a tiny light; "Frictionless" somewhat misleading, I hope it has some friction so it stays in place!
    • This operator's manual doesn't yet actually say exactly how the operator operates it! :)

hazna

Enlightened
thanks for the update! I'm really looking forward to this light, but do take your time to iron out any bugs. Your right, 'recalls' are ever so annoying. Keep up the good work!

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
tgwnn,

After finally reading all threads in their entirety, I am very excited about this light!

A few bits of feedback and questions. If any ideas can't be incorporated in the current version, please keep in mind for later revisions:
  • Firefly: I was concerned about no firefly mode but it sounds like the actual level combined with the floody beam will be low enough.
  • GITD: Since there's no trit option (even though it looks like it's easily done as DIY project), how about providing a GITD O-ring that can just be slipped over the body? Or if there is an O-ring under the lens, put it there?
  • Spacing: I have the LiteFlux LF2X (twisty version of LF2XT), its mode space stops are at 90 degrees, which is good, but your 120 degrees could be fine, just have to see.
  • Fast-On?: What is the mode switch time? If you spin it looser really quick can you get to Turbo in like 0.3 seconds, or are there delays?
  • Battery change: I agree with this post https://www.candlepowerforums.com/index.php?posts/3744948/ that it would be nice to avoid a blast in the face when changing battery. Logically, from no battery to battery, stay dark and either just delay 1 second, or wait until twist to off, before normal operation.
  • Operation: Tighten for off is fantastic, LF2X does it and I love it. The revised electronic version with electronic lockout is not quite as ideal but with that low of a parasitic drain it should in practice be fine. (Just means that if a Torpedo is in your EOTWAWKI kit, have head untwisted from body so no battery contact).
  • Price: love the reasonable price, but don't short yourself of enough profit to fund further R&D, cover contingencies like warranty/recall, and keep going creating fantastic lights!
  • Lens: what about a slip-over lens? Since it could be a bit bigger and even longer, could that work to get somewhat more of a focused beam for when that is needed?
  • Glass: is it an open reflector like E01, no glass lens in front? That might be good to reduce lumen loss, keep it simple and more rugged. As long as it can still be IPX8.
  • Diffuser: If the good ol' chapstick-cap trick doesn't work on this light, please find/recommend/offer something that does. I am talking about a lantern-type diffuser, where you are using it as a tiny candle lantern, not a beam diffuser which seems kind of unnecessary on this light.
  • Rugged: is it, overall? Is wall thickness good? I don't mean like an HDS, but at least not thin.
  • Tint: I like that a neutral tint is most likely. Will that mean it won't quite be 500 emitter lumens though?
  • Length: Both the web site front page and post 1 in part 1 still show AAA as 65mm or 66mm long, as opposed to around 82mm of e.g. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/index.php?posts/3751439/.
  • Colors: Different body colors would be nice - like iTP - or do like 38DD and just work with an anodizing partner who can do all that work.
  • Interactive: Thank you for being so responsive - so many designers/manufacturers are less than transparent - this thread is wonderful!
  • Inductor: one recent pic showed a [relatively] huge inductor - I thought some early post mentioned there'd be an SMD inductor to save space - that didn't work out?
  • Web site: News page way out of date - maybe eliminate it and just point to CPF thread(s) in navigation sidebar?
  • XM-L U2: Any chance of this higher-efficiency LED, maybe hand-selected if necessary for good tint?
  • Manual:
    • Insure it is OK (legal) to use ANSI icons if you aren't going to get the (expensive) real FL1 certification.
    • Page 6: Eneloop should have the same voltage designation as NiMh, since it is.
    • Features: I don't know if Tactical (two places) is the right term for such a tiny light; "Frictionless" somewhat misleading, I hope it has some friction so it stays in place!
    • This operator's manual doesn't yet actually say exactly how the operator operates it! :)

Hi cistallus,

thanks and wow! for such a well summarized post :thumbsup:
what a great start to Part 2.

There is an O-ring under the ring that holds the lens in place. I'll check if we can find a good quality GITD at the right size.

Yes, agreed will need to test this when the updated driver is ready.

According to the spec, there is no required delay but if we are talking about microseconds, it may depend on the response time thresholds of some of the circuitry.
I think 0.3 seconds should be well within the threshold though.

Yes, no flash when changing would be ideal, though it does let you know the battery is charged. Currently there is a 0.1 sec flash when I install a battery.
I don't find it annoying, in some ways comforting, knowing everything is good.

For now, its just the selector ring and as you mentioned, you can loosen the tail but the drain is so low (nano-amps) that in practicality its a non-issue (the battery will likely discharge itself naturally faster than the drain).

Thanks. This is obviously a very fine balancing act. I want this to be affordable to as many people as possible, but it can't be at the cost of quality. I will keep you updated.

This is something that has been mentioned and I have played around with as well. Could be a an option in the future.

There is a glass lens. This is a must for the XML as its sensitive to the elements (ie. water).

Im not sure this is so appropriate for the AAA as the main concept is small/portable but for those who like/use them, I can understand the need. Im sure there is something suitable that someone could recommend? For a AA version, with longer overall runtimes, this could be a more important accessory?

Its reasonably rugged. The threads are a little thin for my liking in the prototype but planning to thicken them to be more squared in the production version. If I had to choose to rate the walls thick vs thin, I would say they lean slightly to the thin side (and this is to keep the overall profile/diameter low) but that does not make it less rugged.
Once I have a few more proto's, I'll do a drive over test and let you know if its survives.
I will be giving it a beating before production to be sure.
My product concept is for precision instruments, of high quality (nothing flimsy) that you can bet your life on.

Planning to offer the neutral and cool, stock & price permitting. I'll need to measure the final output and the lumens will be determined by the XML bin of course so for neutral, this is about 5% less lumens (from memory).

Thanks, I will update that when I edit post 1 of part 2

Colors are doable, its just a matter of quantities to keep the costs reasonable

Thanks to everybody :) Its a two way street and Im just as grateful for all the feedback.

Thanks

There is one SMD inductor on board and hoping to replace that BIG guy (inductor) with an SMD as well in the production version if we can find the right place to mount it on the board with no interference.

Im planning to use PayPal but with the option that allows you to use a credit card.

I actually have a new website Im working on, which will replace that news page which I threw up quickly to act as a placeholder and allow for subscription.
I will update it too (busy busy busy) and just point it here for now

Always a chance, just not sure how probable for the first production run.

• Manual:
Thanks for pointing those issues out. Again the manual is a work-in-progress, for now serving to summarize the latest specs, but I will be adding to it and keep those points in mind.

tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the update! I'm really looking forward to this light, but do take your time to iron out any bugs. Your right, 'recalls' are ever so annoying. Keep up the good work!

hazna,

thanks as always :thumbsup:

tgwnn

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guy, I missed the last update email sent because I entered my email in wrong, I'm assuming. (maybe it will spark a random interest in whomever it was sent to) I have since added the correct email, but would like the most recent update with beam shots and the surprise! :)

Also, unfortunately I leave in 1 week to be yelled at for the next 2 months and won't have access to any sort of computer. I would like to discuss with you an early payment to be SURE I get in on the first run. Even if I'm paying from the airport in Texas 2 seconds before my freedom dissapears.

Alex

Last edited:

cw_mi

Enlightened
Wow, this light looks awesome. I subscribed to the list and will be watching this closely. I scanned thru the threads and didn't see any ideas on pricing, is there an estimated price ?

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, this light looks awesome. I subscribed to the list and will be watching this closely. I scanned thru the threads and didn't see any ideas on pricing, is there an estimated price ?

I belive he said around $65

Alex

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guy, I missed the last update email sent because I entered my email in wrong, I'm assuming. (maybe it will spark a random interest in whomever it was sent to) I have since added the correct email, but would like the most recent update with beam shots and the surprise! :)

Also, unfortunately I leave in 1 week to be yelled at for the next 2 months and won't have access to any sort of computer. I would like to discuss with you an early payment to be SURE I get in on the first run. Even if I'm paying from the airport in Texas 2 seconds before my freedom dissapears.

Alex
Hi climberkid,

Thanks very much for your interest and enthusiasm.
I just mailed you the last update ;)
There will only be a difference of a couple of weeks before the preliminary production run and full production run,
and I may be able to increase the number in the preliminary run. The full production run will be "as many as needed" so everyone will be able to purchase 1,5 or even 50 if you want to.

I sincerely appreciate your eagerness but at this stage, I'm unable to take advance payments for 3 reasons:
1) The specs need to be finalized (so you know what you are buying)
2) I need to be 100% certain, everything works according to spec and that I can deliver this product per the spec
3) There are many subscribers and posters that have been contributing since the beginning and I want to be fair to everyone in terms of timing and taking orders.

I will let you know as much in advance as possible before the order page goes live and timing/delivery might actually work out to be just when you return. Express delivery could be as little as 3 days (depending where you are) so all going well, you could get it within just a few days of coming back?

I hope you can understand and wish you well during your 2 months and hope the time passes very quickly for you.

I'd like to get in on this, if it's not too late. Thank you!
Hi Piripi,
Welcome :)
this is just the discussion thread and of course its not too late.

Hi cw_mi,
Thanks for subscribing.
The Target price is $65 though its still not confirmed (pending final production costs).
I do plan to make the Torpedo available for sale outside of cpf and the retail price will likely be a little higher than that, though hoping to keep it as close to the target as possible for cpf

I belive he said around $65
Alex

Thanks climberkid :thumbsup:

tgwnn

Status
Not open for further replies.