500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like Alex points out so correctly, some people reading this will think the Torpedo is shipping! lol Excitement abounds, as we look forward to the Torpedo X pre-orders.

Back to the regularly scheduled program....Guy, will the Torpedo have similar time-of-use limitations on Hi due to it's similar small size? I know it's got thermal protection to shift it to a lower beam if it gets hot, but will that be a similar amount of time...30 seconds or so...before it happens? Just wondering, with all the excitement over #3 and the promise of #4 (and #14 rumors) I can't remember what #1 is doing! :) Gonna have to make an MBI Cheatsheet notebook!

We've also got so much tease factor going on some of us are already lining up for what's next! Great job Guy, keep em coming!

Dale

Hi Dale,

Current spec is auto step down from high at 30 seconds or overheat (whichever comes first though I usually make it to 30 seconds just fine with the current proto).
When the battery is low, it does step down to the next lowest mode too.
So its all automated in terms of the safety :)

I think next up is #3R (landing next month).

Working on some specs right now for a few new things and I think next year, I'm gonna get seriously crazy.
There are 3 new products that I must make (I want them for personal use) and a few more that I'd like to have too.

Moving forward with the X run but still awaiting feedback before nailing things down.

Im very much loving my HF right now and the Torpedo, is really an intelligent HF with 4 modes and support for off-the-shelf batteries.

Tgwnn

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the Torpedo would be an excellent one to gift, no real special attention required. Cool! :)

#3R? Isn't the HF #3? (Imagination station working overtime now) lol

I love it when you want things! Makes OUR wants become needs and fulfills some dreams at the same time! ;)

Thank you again, so glad to have found this thread and CandlePowerForums!

My checkbook is suffering though, as I've had a fever lately and bought extra TIR optics for a couple of lights, new LED's for the CoreTi (Nichia has a new UltraBrite that has great promise!) And even new clock hands to modify with trits to bring my 50 yr old Grandmother clock into the new millenia! :) :) :)

Dale

cw_mi

Enlightened
Haven't been back to this thread in a LONG time. Don't seem to be getting the updates by email. So where is the project at ? Is it read for purchase yet ?

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
cw mi, Guy has the new pcb in a prototype and is waiting for a second to be sure they're getting it right. Considering using this set-up for a X run of around 100 lights for pre-order to let those of us willing to take the risk help iron out any bugs possibly remaining in the pcb. The time frame on this is probably taking us to the end of the year for these Torpedo X bodies. <nutshell>

Dale

BVH

Flashaholic
Haven't checked in for quite a while and was hoping to be able to order. I So need this gem to supplant my 4/Sevens Mini123. She's getting tired and as we all know, loose threads means much uncontrolled mode changing. So I don't have to do a lot of catch-up, is there still a high-Kelvin/cool white option? And did the knurling aggressiveness stay similar to the very original? Any guesstimates of general availability?

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
BVH, we're waiting for confirmation of the newest PCB....it's looking good enough that a "X" version Pre-Order may possibly be imminent. A neutral white T5 or Nichia 319 should be available alongside the more powerful U2. GL has some tint comparison shots over in the HF thread. Post # 1522 on page 51. I do believe the knurling has been refined for a better look and better grip.

I'm sure Guy or GL will be able to give you a bigger "nutshell" view and a possible timeframe. We're still hoping Christmas or New Years but it may be somewhat later. You can keep up with the schedule here if you like http://www.matchboxinstruments.com/development-status.html

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dale

Last edited:

NM08SRT8

Newly Enlightened
I've been gone for so long.. :(

What did I miss? I was hoping to buy one of these when they were first available. Did I miss out?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been gone for so long.. :(

What did I miss? I was hoping to buy one of these when they were first available. Did I miss out?

NM,
Nope you have not missed out. Pre Xprotoype orders may start within several weeks. Hop in on an HF#3 preorder while you wait. We are all hoping that the Torpedo brings the HF#3 to the masses with it's intelligent interface, thermal regulation, and compatible with laymans batteries :), or mildly a sofisticated intelligent HF#3 ;)
GL

NM08SRT8

Newly Enlightened
I was looking on MBI's site and saw a lot of the HF's are gone except for two aluminum versions..

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dale, GL,
Thanks for posting the summaries ;)

We are currently checking on a minor change to the circuit board.

The output on high, is not high enough so I've asked the lab to tweak the design to maximize the output on high.
Some of the limitations are due to the resistance and ampere capacity inherent in an ultra-thin pcb (.16mm) and size of course.

Awaiting feedback and then planning to do the limited "X" version 1.

Tgwnn

NM08SRT8

Newly Enlightened
Well I've been in on this from the beginning when this was just a toddler. Now it's about to be an adult (Torpedo), and I am in on this.

I'll need to get on the iPad and read back a little to find info on pricing and also pictures, etc.

This will go perfect with my new Hinderer XM18 3.5 Spanto :)

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I've been in on this from the beginning when this was just a toddler. Now it's about to be an adult (Torpedo), and I am in on this.

I'll need to get on the iPad and read back a little to find info on pricing and also pictures, etc.

This will go perfect with my new Hinderer XM18 3.5 Spanto :)

Hi NM,

welcome back :)

Its been a long yet pleasurable journey.
To be honest, I have no idea right now on what the final price will be for the "X" run.
The quantity is going to be much smaller than the initial plan for "X" and then of course it depends on what the total package/bundle will consist of.

However it turns out, I think finally meeting the Torpedo face to face, will be happy day for everyone who's been following this thread.

tgwnn

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
While it's been great fun playing with the awe abilities of the HF, I wouldn't mind if the Torpedo didn't make that 500 Lumens. Reasonably close would be nice, but since we have the rowdy little brother to contend with I'm beginning to think the sophistication of the Torpedo would be in keeping with usable run times and still a nice handful of brightness. Anywhere from 300 to 450 wouldn't be so bad and would help keep the Torpedo in the usable tool range. Now don't get me wrong! If you manage to pull 500 out of the hat I wouldn't complain! But in all honesty that much power in so small a light might actually be detrimental to the overall package.

Those that have HF's might agree with me while those that don't will think I'm crazy! lol

Either way, You'll make it the best it can be...I have no doubt! Here's to the next few weeks! <toast>

Dale

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see Guys point of view. The Torpedo set out to be his first commercial endevior. So much in such a small package. I see the HF as a strictly flashaholic light, being that it takes custom batteries that require special care and knowledge to operate safely.

The HF is at the core of what the Torpedo is. The Torpedo sales should dwarf the HF sales. Like Dale said I would be more than happy with ~450lms from a light the size of the Torpedo, and even if it only put out ~250 lms on an alkaline, the light with it's custom UI and functions will have no problem selling to us and regular folk.

I am sure Guy has a plan, and I think that the production numbers of Torpedo's will be limited. That said I will be sure to jump on the "X" wagon as soon as the horses are hitched. It has been 8 months since I handled a Torpedo proto, and I think the release of the HF#3 has calmed my wait tremendously, but not stopped the wanting.

So Guy, have you tested the Torpedo Proto#xx with the Nukes? Stupid question, but I had to ask.
I think You are close, real close, to a eXperimantal run of the Torpedo. I am waiting and willing to due what I can to help you iron out the linens that stand in the way of the official production release of the Torpedo.

Now the only question is, will it be offered in Titanium, and with a choice of emitter like the HF?
Serial reservations should only be for first stage preorders in my book. Could we get a XP-G variant that would offer a more defined hotspot with it's smaller led package? I think I speak for many, Could we get more XM-L T5 NW's or how about some UV leds for work and play?

You are doing an excellent job, carry on sir.
GL

MT_155

Newly Enlightened
I agree that whatever the high the Torpedo is going to be a great product. I just lost my ITP A3 edc that the Torpedo was destined to retire and as i want a moonlight mode i can't find a replacement, AAA lights with a moonlight mode are virtually non-existant. (I have a Preon P0 and a Thrunite T10 on the way in the hope that one or both of these can tide me over until the Torpedo is ready).
So any sort of decent high from a AAA light with a moonlight mode that runs on multiple chemistries will be a unique and extremely valid product on the market.

I also suspect Guy is incapable of doing less than his best (the fact that his best is bloody amazing is a bonus!) so if 500 lumens is possible (are possible?) 500 lumens is (are? :thinking:) what we'll get.

...but since we have the rowdy little brother to contend with I'm beginning to think the sophistication of the Torpedo would be in keeping with usable run times and still a nice handful of brightness. Anywhere from 300 to 450 wouldn't be so bad and would help keep the Torpedo in the usable tool range...

I can see Dale's point about a longer running lower high suiting the overall package better, seeing as the HF now has the HF factor covered so beautifully, but i feel that unless it is a significantly longer runtime, say 10mins at 350 lumens, it wouldn't be worth the sacrifice and would possibly go against the 'no-holds barred' spirit of the Torpedo.

"Everything in one package" is how i see the Torpedo. My head would say 350 lumens for 10 mins but my heart would say 500 for 30 secs.

And then i'd have to buy one of each.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
WOW! I've been overlooking this thread for some time now. I really excited about this light and would love to get one when it's ready!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.