500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got Lumens? could you please tell which bins are these for the XMLs on your photo ??
These are all from the first shipped HF run. Guy would be able to answer that, as I do not know myself.
I will add that although the pic of the Nichia219 appears a bit pink, it does not to your eyes and looks pue white to me.
GL

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of my 219 leds got a little pink in them. Need other lights side by side with it and a white wall to have a chance to spot the pink. I prefer the ones with a little pink to them. Makes it look just a little bit warmer than the ones with no pink at all :)

taratata

Newly Enlightened
These are all from the first shipped HF run. Guy would be able to answer that, as I do not know myself.
I will add that although the pic of the Nichia219 appears a bit pink, it does not to your eyes and looks pue white to me.
GL

ok, thanks. I asked because i know the nichia (i have some), and i would like to know the bin of the neutral T5 wich seems to have a good tint to me.
I had some neutral XML tending to have a greenish tint, and want to avoid them in the future. But it's not the place to discuss about that, sorry for the outpost.

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure I've asked Guy about the Tint Bin before and he wasn't sure. That kind of stuff gets lost in the records, if it was ever there to begin with. From what I can gather from Cree documentatiion the tint bin is only present on a reel order. So if they were purchased in a bulk fashion from a retailer (ie: Mouser) they wouldn't have the tint bin included. Even if the order code was on the packaging, the shop would most likely have discarded that when installing the emitters.

I've been trying very hard to get a specific tint bin and finding that it's not very easy to do!

I'm sure Guy will be chipping in with some verification here, one way or the other.

Dale

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will add just a bit more off topic. I have heard that Cree also had mixed bin reels. Keep up the good work Guy ;).
Your suppliers are doing a good job in my book. Carry on sir.
GL

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
A celebration of a MIB MBI Jr.?

Cuuuute, the HF backup. Have you tried button batteries in there? If you remember, wayyy back, I suggested some small head with a 5mm LED that could work with the extra tailcaps we might end up with... this would be the intermediate step.

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey GL, isn't Guy working on a tiny Hydrogen cell for that? Same brightness, 4 hour run time? Now THAT setup would garner some international attention!! :)

Dale

Endalaus

Newly Enlightened
Hello Guy

if you're still taking names for the prototype run, please include me.

Thanks (still loving the HF btw - it's a great light for night hiking)

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow,
I step away for a moment and an avalanche of posts to reply to :)
Thanks very much for all the support.

Everyone is most welcome, I'm happy to have varied feedback.
As mentioned before, the initial "X" quantity of how many to make will most likely be decided by how pleased I am with the final proto before the X run, then if demand exceeds that quantity the final determinant of "who" will most likely be some kind of random draw.

being an XM-L T6, would this be in neutral white 5000k?
Hi neutralwhite,

I updated the spec in post 1 but it may change still, most likely candidate will be the XM-L2, bins not decided but for production a neutral option would be on the cards for sure.

wow, just came across this thread.

IM IN IF ITS NOT TO LATE.
Thanks hron61,
Never too late.

Been a while since I checked in - I'm in for a early X-run for sure.
Thanks sledhead.

Thanks for the warning. HF to the rescue! Now only the barmaid can drive home.

Guuuuyy! Cataracts running around doing the Men in Black thing with the HF again!

Dale
LOL :crackup:

Hahaha! I was having the exact same image of that situation.

I can't wait for a momentary forward clicky for this thing.
Alex, me too, very very much!

So Far HF . . .

NW XM-L T5 for me too!
Although for clarity and color rendition the Nichia 219 clearly rocks!
GL
Thanks GL

Got Lumens? could you please tell which bins are these for the XMLs on your photo ??

GL

Some of my 219 leds got a little pink in them. Need other lights side by side with it and a white wall to have a chance to spot the pink. I prefer the ones with a little pink to them. Makes it look just a little bit warmer than the ones with no pink at all :)

ok, thanks. I asked because i know the nichia (i have some), and i would like to know the bin of the neutral T5 wich seems to have a good tint to me.
I had some neutral XML tending to have a greenish tint, and want to avoid them in the future. But it's not the place to discuss about that, sorry for the outpost.

How about the CCT and tint bins for all the LEDs whose beams are pictured?

I'm pretty sure I've asked Guy about the Tint Bin before and he wasn't sure. That kind of stuff gets lost in the records, if it was ever there to begin with. From what I can gather from Cree documentatiion the tint bin is only present on a reel order. So if they were purchased in a bulk fashion from a retailer (ie: Mouser) they wouldn't have the tint bin included. Even if the order code was on the packaging, the shop would most likely have discarded that when installing the emitters.

I've been trying very hard to get a specific tint bin and finding that it's not very easy to do!

I'm sure Guy will be chipping in with some verification here, one way or the other.

Dale

Certainly not off topic and good questions,
I need to dig up the U2 & Nichia bins.

The XM-L T5 used in the HF is as follows:

XMLAWT-00-0000-000LT50E4

Description: LED, Neutral White, 260LM; Series:XLamp XM-L; LED Color:Neutral White; Luminous Flux @ Test:260lm; CCT:4500K; Forward Current @ Test:700mA; Forward Current If Max:3A; Forward Voltage @ Test:2.9V; Viewing Angle:125ø; LED Mounting:SMD

As mentioned though, these will likely differ in the Torpedo.

I will add just a bit more off topic. I have heard that Cree also had mixed bin reels. Keep up the good work Guy ;).
Your suppliers are doing a good job in my book. Carry on sir.
GL
Thanks GL

In for X run!!!!!!
Thank you Radio.

:devil: What do you think I got it for?
HF'ing of course :D

A celebration of a MIB MBI Jr.?

Cuuuute, the HF backup. Have you tried button batteries in there? If you remember, wayyy back, I suggested some small head with a 5mm LED that could work with the extra tailcaps we might end up with... this would be the intermediate step.
Something in the works on that front too ;)

Hey GL, isn't Guy working on a tiny Hydrogen cell for that? Same brightness, 4 hour run time? Now THAT setup would garner some international attention!! :)

Dale
well maybe but shipping li-ions is already a challenge, hydrogen... might be takeaway/pickup only.

Yes please and thank you very much :)
You are welcome.
thanks GL

Please include me in the X run if i'm not already far too late for it.
Thanks Tofty, never too late.

TGWNN, if possible, please add me to the X prototype release list.

Regards,
Zoran
Thanks Zoran

Hello Guy
if you're still taking names for the prototype run, please include me.
Thanks (still loving the HF btw - it's a great light for night hiking)

Hi Endalaus,
Thanks very much.
In a dark outdoor setting, I found even the low is a lot of light on the HF.

tgwnn

m72

Newly Enlightened
tgwnn

I think about the power source for Torpedo.
Which battery 10440 is more suitable for this flashlight: general ICR 3.7V or high drain LiFePo4 3.2V?

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
tgwnn

I think about the power source for Torpedo.
Which battery 10440 is more suitable for this flashlight: general ICR 3.7V or high drain LiFePo4 3.2V?

Hi m72,

The Torpedo will be able to use:
li-ion: 10250 , 10440, 10450
NiMh: AAA
Alkaline, Lithium: AAA
and maybe LiFePo4 if the voltage can stay above 2.8V but I haven't tested those yet.

I already have high drain: li-ion 10250 (MBI Nuke's) available that can handle 1.5A on high for the 30seconds
I plan to offer a high drain li-ion 10440 by the time of full production also.

tgwnn

Status
Not open for further replies.