500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megatrowned

Enlightened
Hmm, if the hi CRI XML has been getting such good feedback, this seems like a good choice. A nice creamy white color is good too, but too high a temp brings blue/purple tints :sick2:

sticktodrum

Enlightened
Reading this thread seriously gets me in the mood. In the mood for what, I'm not entirely certain, but hey, a NYer is always up for spending some money on toys. :D

I'll put my piece of paper in the hat for something with a warmer tint, even if it sacrifices some brightness. From my limited experience, I appreciate the depth and visibility from more neutral light at work, having to work in a server closet much of the time, as well as under desks in people's computers. Warmer light just doesn't stress my eyes is close quarters like some very cool tints can.

Those pictures are absolutely stunning. That's a serious show piece right there with the case, it'd be difficult to take that out in my bag and risk dinging it up. Somehow though, I think I could force myself to. :)

Lastly, I'd also gladly preorder and pre-pay for this piece.

NowIC

Enlightened
~ I would pre-order.
~ Glad you're including the case. Normally I wouldn't care, but your design is amazing and it will make a wonderful travel case and I'll prolly even leave out for decoration.
~ as for emitters, I would want the one you feel is best suited to the overall light. In other words, the best. I would imagine that anyone who wants to be a part of the x-run also wants to support you so price should not be too much of a barrier for x-runners. I would rather have everything be the best as you see it, even if it means more money. You did a great job with the UTT emitter and I would want the Torpedo to have the one you feel is best suited to it. Generally I'm willing to sacrifice a little brightness for the sake of having a neutral/warm tint, but I would follow your recommendation.
~ if you make optional packages available for the x-run, I would most likely opt for the premium package for the sake of posterity and to be better able to offer you feedback on all aspects.

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think what NowIC is trying to say is this "I want it all and I want it now!" :)

JK! I think you said that very well and have to agree with you. This is your pet project Guy, build it like you want it to be and send it to us for testing (after we've acquired some lease rights, of course) and we will very happily run em through the wringer. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) (Seven is the Universal symbol of perfection and I believe a Torpedo "X" will put perfect smiles on a lot of faces!)

Can we play with the case in the bathtub? Watch out duckie! (Cue Dive Klaxons)

Last edited:

sticktodrum

Enlightened
As Abe Lincoln said, "Whatever you are, be a good one."

I'm fairly certain he was talking to the flashlight population. Make it good Guy, and all else will fall in place. :)

I'm just one MBI light in, and I can say that your work and judgment is indeed first class.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

GIR

Newly Enlightened
Oh, yes! Neutral 4tw!
Ah... and will preorder! Can I now? Pretty please! :D

Didn't I read long way back that you were thinking about making cottonpicker chargers available too? Or did I dream that? Hard to know, pretty fancy and looong thread you have going here :)
Anyways. That would be icing on the cake! Everything in one package.

Some room for 10440s in the case would not hurt for when you make them available. They WILL find their way into that case then!

Just my silly thoughts...

nbp

Flashaholic
I'll pay right now for an X with a neutral XM-L if you want. :paypal:

While not such a prolific poster in your threads, I have been watching and posting occasionally since your very first thread where you were asking for ideas on what would make a cool light people would want to buy; before there was a Torpedo on paper even, before the Core, the HF and whatever else you have come up with. I'm certainly not backing out on this light now. :)

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh we know it nbp. Quite a few of us have seen your contributions over time. You have not been forgotten, even as quiet a contributor you have been.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for all the valuable feedback and support

Had a MWDPA last night so was not really able to post
(that's m.assive w.isdom t.ooth p.ain a.nnoyance)
but mostly back to being human again today :D

In short, this is my one line philosophy for MBI

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"

My goal is to only make amazing creations,
yet even in my insanity (that I positively label as passion)
I recognize that it's a process, that I may not always be right,
and I am forever a student, learning.
It does mean that I start each project with a higher bar,
in choosing the best possible method, components
and every tiny detail (some which may go un-noticed)
that I believe are an important part of the MBI experience.

Will catch up on re-reading all the posts a little later.

Tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the comments and faith in my judgement.

Aaagh, I see. I too am hoping for a slightly warmer tint than the XML-U3s, although my strongest liking so far has been the HF XM-L T5 NW, it's my favorite tint. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the increase in brightness from it's newer cousins. I am hoping for when the time comes that we will be able to order spare heads for the MBI wonders Guy is cranking out. Kinda like Extreme Output, Pure White XM-L2, A much brighter Nichia 229:)) I know these aren't here yet), A XM-L2 HCRI, A XM-L UV, and perhaps some colored XM-L's.

I can envision a new MBI AA/14500 based light . . . How bout a 2-1/2" light that uses a SST-90, ooowww YA, ~2000 lumen rocket torch :D. It's all Dale's fault for mentioning insanity :duh2:

Cataract should be consentrating on making the tunnel a much bigger in diameter than present . . . Guy desperately needs a much Larger Oven to put all this stuff in than we can send him with the tunnels current size :D

GL

Thanks GL,

Neutral is doable but to keep things manageable on the first run, 2 emitters has to be the maximum.
Lots more to do in the future of course ;)

Reading this thread seriously gets me in the mood. In the mood for what, I'm not entirely certain, but hey, a NYer is always up for spending some money on toys. :D

I'll put my piece of paper in the hat for something with a warmer tint, even if it sacrifices some brightness. From my limited experience, I appreciate the depth and visibility from more neutral light at work, having to work in a server closet much of the time, as well as under desks in people's computers. Warmer light just doesn't stress my eyes is close quarters like some very cool tints can.

Those pictures are absolutely stunning. That's a serious show piece right there with the case, it'd be difficult to take that out in my bag and risk dinging it up. Somehow though, I think I could force myself to. :)

Lastly, I'd also gladly preorder and pre-pay for this piece.

Thanks sticktodrum,

Generally, I think a premium emitter is always worth the extra few dollars.
Its like the choice of
buying the wine you'd rather pay for
vs
buying the wind you'd rather drink
with the important distinction that unlike wine,
the emitter will last a lot longer.

I've often gotten strange looks when pulling the case out of a bag to show someone in a coffee shop or restaurant,
as if I was some kind of arms dealer. All eyes are glued when I start to unscrew it to reveal the interior (and thats when the waiters usually take a few steps back and I catch them peaking from behind a wall).

~ I would pre-order.
~ Glad you're including the case. Normally I wouldn't care, but your design is amazing and it will make a wonderful travel case and I'll prolly even leave out for decoration.
~ as for emitters, I would want the one you feel is best suited to the overall light. In other words, the best. I would imagine that anyone who wants to be a part of the x-run also wants to support you so price should not be too much of a barrier for x-runners. I would rather have everything be the best as you see it, even if it means more money. You did a great job with the UTT emitter and I would want the Torpedo to have the one you feel is best suited to it. Generally I'm willing to sacrifice a little brightness for the sake of having a neutral/warm tint, but I would follow your recommendation.
~ if you make optional packages available for the x-run, I would most likely opt for the premium package for the sake of posterity and to be better able to offer you feedback on all aspects.

Thanks NowIC,

Appreciate the vote of confidence and if the difference is 30% for a premium package, I'd much prefer to make that the standard.
At the same time, I'm fortunate to have had consistent and strong support from so many people (some of who must have a small mountain of 10250 nukes, etc) so I can understand a bare bones package making sense in that case as well.
Making the stretch to buy every new MBI product as minimal as possible financially I think is helpful to many of my friends here too.

So perhaps, for the full production version, maybe only the premium (or full) package will be available, but as many people here are aficionados, hobbyists & enthusiasts who sincerely want to provide helpful feedback, I'm willing to stretch on my end to enable a bare bones package and help them be able to help me :D

I think what NowIC is trying to say is this "I want it all and I want it now!" :)

JK! I think you said that very well and have to agree with you. This is your pet project Guy, build it like you want it to be and send it to us for testing (after we've acquired some lease rights, of course) and we will very happily run em through the wringer. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) (Seven is the Universal symbol of perfection and I believe a Torpedo "X" will put perfect smiles on a lot of faces!)

Can we play with the case in the bathtub? Watch out duckie! (Cue Dive Klaxons)

Thanks Dale,

I haven't tested if the case floats but as it can be completely dissasembled, I may have to offer aftermarket fins, propeller and radio control with an IR camera & of course, flashlight in the head :)

As Abe Lincoln said, "Whatever you are, be a good one."

I'm fairly certain he was talking to the flashlight population. Make it good Guy, and all else will fall in place. :)

I'm just one MBI light in, and I can say that your work and judgment is indeed first class.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thank you kindly :bow:

I do believe I did this quite some time ago, when the brass proto-type was in-hand. Dug it out and resurrected it for the new members of the tribe. Enjoy!

MBI Torpedo and HF supernova T-Shirt by genie in a black box, on Flickr

And what about the possibility of MBI avatars for "Lifetime MBI members"? Gold, Silver, and Bronze?

MBI Avatars by genie in a black box, on Flickr

Beautiful Dale :twothumbs

Oh, yes! Neutral 4tw!
Ah... and will preorder! Can I now? Pretty please! :D

Didn't I read long way back that you were thinking about making cottonpicker chargers available too? Or did I dream that? Hard to know, pretty fancy and looong thread you have going here :)
Anyways. That would be icing on the cake! Everything in one package.

Some room for 10440s in the case would not hurt for when you make them available. They WILL find their way into that case then!

Just my silly thoughts...
Thanks GIR,

chargers are & will be available.
10440's can fit, the issue was only with preventing them from flying around inside the case.
We came up with a design that can solve the issue but there's something that just doesn't feel perfect about it functionally so I'm reverting to a tweak of one previous version.
I'll post more detail in the update.

I'll pay right now for an X with a neutral XM-L if you want. :paypal:

While not such a prolific poster in your threads, I have been watching and posting occasionally since your very first thread where you were asking for ideas on what would make a cool light people would want to buy; before there was a Torpedo on paper even, before the Core, the HF and whatever else you have come up with. I'm certainly not backing out on this light now. :)

Hi nbp,

Thanks and of course I remember your feedback and posts.
Its even before there was MBI, just some guy with no name and lofty ideas that were met with both very supportive/helpful and a few"who the hell do you think you are (lol)" kind of comments.
What a journey!
I'm grateful to you and everybody here for following it, shaping it and helping it reach this far.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the comments and faith in my judgement.
Thanks GL,

Neutral is doable but to keep things manageable on the first run, 2 emitters has to be the maximum.
Lots more to do in the future of course ;)

I'm grateful to you and everybody here for following it, shaping it and helping it reach this far.
Nope, I understand that you will have to limit the choices to a manageable two. I was mearly expressing advanced hope for a day in the future when you wil be able to offer a greater selection of available chioces and offerings in future production/accessories. I have great confidence they will come, and agree that, that time is not now with your release of the "X" run. The purpose is to get the required real world testing and opinions to finalize and perfect it's design that will allow You to bring this into the production phase. Carry on fine sir, You are doing an awsome job.
GL

cactux

Newly Enlightened
Guy,
I read in your FB page that the HF-R and Torpedo shells are interchangeable, does that include head and tail? Is the HF‐R Titanium shell capable to host the Torpedo's electronics ?

sassaquin

Enlightened
Hi Tgwnn,
I too, will preorder and/or prepay for a X-run Torpedo and will gladly pay extra for a premium emitter (especially high CRI).

In addition to collecting flashlights, I also collect toys, so the Torpedo case is a definite want for me and, once again, I will pay extra for it. Looks like, my vote is for the premium package with or without more Nukes. :)

fatbrad

Newly Enlightened
I would choose the UTT tint for the X run. Maybe something closer to 4000K for later.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, I understand that you will have to limit the choices to a manageable two. I was mearly expressing advanced hope for a day in the future when you wil be able to offer a greater selection of available chioces and offerings in future production/accessories. I have great confidence they will come, and agree that, that time is not now with your release of the "X" run. The purpose is to get the required real world testing and opinions to finalize and perfect it's design that will allow You to bring this into the production phase. Carry on fine sir, You are doing an awsome job.
GL
Thanks GL :)

Definitely hope for more choices in the future and that doesn't mean any one should limit expressing their ideas now, because the ideas expressed now are what drives the future ;)

Guy,
I read in your FB page that the HF-R and Torpedo shells are interchangeable, does that include head and tail? Is the HF‐R Titanium shell capable to host the Torpedo's electronics ?

Hi cactux,

The parts are all interchangeable, but some things may not make sense.

The Torpedo head will fit onto and HF/HF-R body but the electronics are built into the head and will not be removable because there is a selector ring, sensors and ultra-thin flex pcb (that is double sided and layered with components) and I had no trouble ruining them in the past when trying to open them up a little too aggressively so initially, I think its best to leave it as a non DIY part.

If you look closely at the Torpedo head though, the style and size is very similar to the HF-R with the exception of a different knurling pattern in the upcoming first run.

The HF/HF-R tail can be used on the Torpedo body and the switch can provide a more mechanical "hard" OFF when not in use but I think the modes can not be changed using the HF-R tail, rather you still need to use the selector ring just under the Torpedo head.

The Torpedo body can be used with an HF/HF-R but in this combination, there would be no on/off, just always on.
I am close to releasing some inline switches which may change that at some point in the future.

I decided everything should fit together so that there is flexibility and the more parts you acquire, the more combinations you will be able to make. For the MBI 10250 series lights, I plan on maintaining this approach as far as is practical without limiting new products because of it.

For other classes and sizes, I'm planning the same approach and for the AA light that is not too far away from being born, it too already has a standard built into its DNA to allow for easy upgrades and config changes.

Tgwnn

p.s. wrote this a few hours ago and just realized it wasn't posted.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Tgwnn,
I too, will preorder and/or prepay for a X-run Torpedo and will gladly pay extra for a premium emitter (especially high CRI).

In addition to collecting flashlights, I also collect toys, so the Torpedo case is a definite want for me and, once again, I will pay extra for it. Looks like, my vote is for the premium package with or without more Nukes. :)

Hi sassaquin,

Thanks for the post and support :)
Glad to hear you like toys and CRI too ;)

I would choose the UTT tint for the X run. Maybe something closer to 4000K for later.

Hi fatbrad,

Thanks for the feedback.
The UTT is/was quite a nice tint and I'd be quite happy with it in the Torpedo.
Like you, I'll also be very satisfied with something warmer a little down the line too.

Tgwnn

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like your sig-line GL! ;)

"Had a MWDPA last night so was not really able to post
(that's m.assive w.isdom t.ooth p.ain a.nnoyance) "

Is tooth spelled with a D? Just trying to figure out that euphemism.

For me it's the Premium all-inclusive package experience. I only have 6 Nukes so more would be merrier! :) Love the case, the concept, the design, the ....oh he** I Love the whole experience! So yeah, Premium all the way, it's gonna cost what it's gonna cost.

On the wine correlation...does one drink wine to have a minimalistic way to make money disappear or for the sheer enjoyment of the body, flavor and aroma of the actual product? I would think that by choosing a wine for it's pleasing aroma, a full body that's rich and bold and pleases the palate while giving one that euphoric sense of well being and accomplishment would also be much more effective at dispensing greenbacks. But I don't touch the stuff so what do I know? lol On the other hand, a Premium bottle of Vodka when mixed with a perfect bottle of Kahlua in a 1:1.5 ratio makes for an outstanding funds disbursement mechanism that also soothes the soul. This they call a Black Russian, and Imperia Vodka is an excellent Premium that comes in it's own special package so I do know the experience of enjoyment provided by exquisite packaging mechanisms coupled with ingredients that enlighten the mood, so by all means my good man...bring on the Premium package! :)

That was for Alex, who so loves it when many words are used to actually say very little. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.