500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnlson

Newly Enlightened
I've been trying to avoid this thread as I have trouble sleeping after seeing the pictures or watching the videos (10 times or so ;-) ) but I can imagine how hard this has been to weather and I'm amazed at how everyone has responded with respect and courtesy. Isn't this the internets? Where trolls ruin everything?

Guy you are by far the best communicator and most open of any entrepreneur I've ever seen. Most would have done exactly what the pcb supplier did and lied themselves silly trying to cover up the delay. Don't believe it? Check any random kickstarter, by the time the item is finally delivered the backers hate the inventor instead of being their ambassadors. You should seriously consider teaching them how to do it. Although I was jonesing for a pocket high beam to be delivered soon (and the whole reason I checked today is that I'm in group 4 which was to go on the 10th) I'm happy to wait for however long it takes.

I wish you smooth sailing the rest of the way!

Chris

Last edited:

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me just say I was mightily impressed having seen and to hold this gem, and those who have not jumped on board, let's just say you're going to regret if you missed out on this -- and heck, I'm not even talking about the light, which is rather good :D

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh god!

I just finished reading back through the thread. That was exhausting, exciting and inspirational.
I'd almost be willing to pay the price of the Torpedo X just for the experience alone :p

Truly, Guy/MBI is/are amazing. I know where my future flashlight purchases will be coming from :)

Regards,
Michal

The whole thread??? you must have been walking knee deep in Unipoo!

You got your question answered, I see... no point mentioning to write Guy an e-mail now.

[...]
Sometimes, my customers send me nice things...
(the mug, and the ultra cool desk notes in that red box)

IMG_0709_zpseb2f2338.jpg

I should post all the photos of nice things I've received.
Letters, lanyards, lights to play with, maple syrup, beer money and more!

I need to find the book that says "DON'T PANIC" and send it to you. Apparently the publishers think our sector does not exist anymore, but they know about the number 42 and wanted to split my brains open for one more question about the subject... stupid mice!

[...] what is a Hypnotoad? and is it safe to keep them with Unicorns?

Hypnotoad's original appearance is bizarrely missing for some reason, but you can get the idea with these:

The Hypnotoad:

Hypnotoad in his glorious original show:

Might not be a good idea to let Uni watch th... All glory to the hypnotoad...

And here's a video related to this thread in some ways:

[...]
Besides you, its 102 people who've purchased a Torpedo X.
The Torpedo will most definitely materialize and soon.

IMG_0710_zps4a582171.jpg

[...]

Is that the package for hte package? I lik... all glory to the hypnoGuy...

Last edited:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been trying to avoid this thread as I have trouble sleeping after seeing the pictures or watching the videos (10 times or so ;-) ) but I can imagine how hard this has been to weather and I'm amazed at how everyone has responded with respect and courtesy. Isn't this the internets? Where trolls ruin everything?

Guy you are by far the best communicator and most open of any entrepreneur I've ever seen. Most would have done exactly what the pcb supplier did and lied themselves silly trying to cover up the delay. Don't believe it? Check any random kickstarter, by the time the item is finally delivered the backers hate the inventor instead of being their ambassadors. You should seriously consider teaching them how to do it. Although I was jonesing for a pocket high beam to be delivered soon (and the whole reason I checked today is that I'm in group 4 which was to go on the 10th) I'm happy to wait for however long it takes.

I wish you smooth sailing the rest of the way!

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks so much for the post.

I think we buried the trolls in Part 1 somewhere between page 5-10 (give or take 20 pages) ;)

Fortunately, the large majority of people who pre-ordered a Torpedo X have been supporters since the very early days and own another MBI flashthing. I've been fortunate enough to earn their trust, deliver the goods and provide unconditional support, no questions asked (but feedback always welcomed).
I think of everybody here as friends that I'm making a custom masterpiece(s) for and thus I treat all my emails as if I'm dealing with friends. As they are friends, I'm always thinking of ways to delight them.

I'm consistent in a very precise random way (randomly consistent?) and of course as I'm far too busy, I have no time to make stuff up, let alone try and keep track of anything I might have said so its far easier to be completely honest (which is so convenient as that's just they way I was brought up).

Unlike most startups, I didn't wake up one day thinking "I've got this great idea to make a fortune".
Rather, I was staring at the flashlights in my hand thinking this could be smaller, brighter, simpler, etc..
and then I just started ripping them all to pieces with the crudest of tools to try and force them to change but most of them refused,
so what choice did I have but to lunge myself upon the community, share my insanity, find like minded crazies and then get cracking.....and here's what's become of it all.

Santa, if you're listening, please bring me a little more time, so I can spend it making more delights.

Tgwnn

p.s. some famous guy/gal somewhere once said "Ideas are a dime a dozen, execution is everything".
p.p.s. now I have to get seriously cracking on this other unannounced delight I've been working on if I'm going to make the target timeline.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The whole thread??? you must have been walking knee deep in Unipoo!

You got your question answered, I see... no point mentioning to write Guy an e-mail now.

I need to find the book that says "DON'T PANIC" and send it to you. Apparently the publishers think our sector does not exist anymore, but they know about the number 42 and wanted to split my brains open for one more question about the subject... stupid mice!

Hypnotoad's original appearance is bizarrely missing for some reason, but you can get the idea with these:

The Hypnotoad:

Hypnotoad in his glorious original show:

Might not be a good idea to let Uni watch th... All glory to the hypnotoad...

And here's a video related to this thread in some ways:

Is that the package for hte package? I lik... all glory to the hypnoGuy...

I just referenced hypnotoad a few days back for the first time in years. Is this correct coincidence that you mentioned him too? I did on a forum, but do they know which one.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let me just say I was mightily impressed having seen and to hold this gem, and those who have not jumped on board, let's just say you're going to regret if you missed out on this -- and heck, I'm not even talking about the light, which is rather good :D
Thanks very much Silgt,

Appreciate you making the time to swing on over during your trip and hope the "beam me up" entrance wasn't too harsh on your body ;)

Is that the package for the package? I lik... all glory to the hypnoGuy...

Thanks for the vids, will check them out later.
#42, I think it was warped during the aftermath of Area 41.

Package for the package for the package....
or something like that ;)

All tribesfolk shall hereby be fully anointed upon receiving such package and discovering inner content.

Tgwnn

mihalski

Newly Enlightened
In my humble opinion, MBI flashlights are not just flashlights; they're not just tools; they're an amazing work of engineering and craftsmanship. And they're an amazing and overwhelmingly positive interaction with the visionary and maker. A COMPLETE experience.

And I don't even own one yet! I may yet get the HF-R just on principle :p

Regards,
Michal

P.S. Is the HF-R Ti - UTT with Tritium Vials installed THE ultimate iteration of the HF-R? I wish battery availability in Australia was better :/ Efest 10440 batteries do not seem to be available here and must be eBay'd from France.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my humble opinion, MBI flashlights are not just flashlights; they're not just tools; they're an amazing work of engineering and craftsmanship. And they're an amazing and overwhelmingly positive interaction with the visionary and maker. A COMPLETE experience.

Regards,
Michal

P.S. Is the HF-R Ti - UTT with Tritium Vials installed THE ultimate iteration of the HF-R? I wish battery availability in Australia was better :/ Efest 10440 batteries do not seem to be available here and must be eBay'd from France.

Thanks Michal,

The HF-R is currently the ultimate version.
It comes standard with 2x 10250 Nukes, but seems like the 10440's are still a little tricky to get a hold of.

Tgwnn

mihalski

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Michal,

The HF-R is currently the ultimate version.
It comes standard with 2x 10250 Nukes, but seems like the 10440's are still a little tricky to get a hold of.

Tgwnn

When will you have more of the HF-R Ti - UTT available? I'm eager for my first MBI experience :)

Michal

Heywood Floyd

Newly Enlightened

Regards,
Michal

Hey Michal,
I ended up getting a shipment from efestbattery after quite a bit of to-ing and fro-ing but in between a refund and reship and payment ended up looking in Oz. This place looked promising and may be useful you...
http://ecigmodshop.com.au/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=556

GIR

Newly Enlightened
That MBI Insiders Club... I'll be member #42 ofc :thumbsup:

- GIR -

mihalski

Newly Enlightened
Depending on the cost (I'm currently unemployed but make sacrifices for things I care about), I would love to be in this elite club of supporters.

If membership number was dependant on how quickly I paid once committing, I'd definitely be #1 :)

Michal

NowIC

Enlightened
As we're watching the Torpedo X in its final stages of development and eagerly awaiting its delivery with great anticipation, I've reflected on my experience here. I continue to be blown away by an HF-R Ti UTT I've carried every day for months. It is truly a world-class-leading product. In addition to a great product offered at a competitive and fair financial cost, I've received much more from this thread than I've given, all in a pleasant, companionable manner unlike anything I've ever experienced on the interwebs. The transparency and discussion of design and technical matters is detailed, competent and creative. Any discussion of timing and pre-payment makes me immediately think about how I feel so lucky to have any product made by the The Guy on any time frame at all, and I'd consider it a privilege to be able to offer advanced capital contributions if it is in any way helpful.

Guy - you've got my full support and encouragement to do things just as you see fit and thank you for sharing so much of your amazing talent.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just referenced hypnotoad a few days back for the first time in years. Is this correct coincidence that you mentioned him too? I did on a forum, but do they know which one.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Maybe Hypnotoad is back on Earth and hiding between commercials... keep your HF handy just in case!

Thanks for the vids, will check them out later.
#42, I think it was warped during the aftermath of Area 41.

Package for the package for the package....
or something like that ;)

All tribesfolk shall hereby be fully anointed upon receiving such package and discovering inner content.

Tgwnn

Area 41 aftermath: That could explain why the Vogons missed a few specks and also why it is so easy to get lost in space-time and parallel universes in the tunnels AND why I can't find the one parallel Universe where Elvis lived to be 103 years old...

Anointed? ooOOoo, sounds even better than enlightened :popcorn:

RTR882

Newly Enlightened
Cataract - ah yes the Hitchikers Guide to the Universe. Perhaps Zeus should be rendered in a "superintelligent shade of the color blue."

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cataract - ah yes the Hitchikers Guide to the Universe. Perhaps Zeus should be rendered in a "superintelligent shade of the color blue."

Good point :twothumbs: Just don't mention anything about not wanting to go anywhere without your wonderful towel when you turn it on -in case it opens a portal to another universe...

And this just turned the lightbulb on: Guy, to create the flashdark in a not so complicated way, just invent the infinite probability light. It might just light a distant corner of the universe at any time you turn it on and occasionally project a couch or floating bowl of petunias, but with sufficient tries, it will at least once cancel light around it. It's also a great shortcut to anything improbable :D

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
When will you have more of the HF-R Ti - UTT available? I'm eager for my first MBI experience :)

Michal
Hi Michal,

I have the last handful to inspect this weekend and a few reservations for them but with a little luck, I think there's a good chance I may have one for you.

Hey Michal,
I ended up getting a shipment from efestbattery after quite a bit of to-ing and fro-ing but in between a refund and reship and payment ended up looking in Oz. This place looked promising and may be useful you...
http://ecigmodshop.com.au/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=556
Thank you HF ;)

That MBI Insiders Club... I'll be member #42 ofc :thumbsup:
- GIR -
Thanks GIR :)

Maybe Hypnotoad is back on Earth and hiding between commercials... keep your HF handy just in case!

Area 41 aftermath: That could explain why the Vogons missed a few specks and also why it is so easy to get lost in space-time and parallel universes in the tunnels AND why I can't find the one parallel Universe where Elvis lived to be 103 years old...
Anointed? ooOOoo, sounds even better than enlightened :popcorn:

I think I saw Elvis running down the tunnel just the other day with "shake to power" flashlights strapped to his thighs.

As we're watching the Torpedo X in its final stages of development and eagerly awaiting its delivery with great anticipation, I've reflected on my experience here. I continue to be blown away by an HF-R Ti UTT I've carried every day for months. It is truly a world-class-leading product. In addition to a great product offered at a competitive and fair financial cost, I've received much more from this thread than I've given, all in a pleasant, companionable manner unlike anything I've ever experienced on the interwebs. The transparency and discussion of design and technical matters is detailed, competent and creative. Any discussion of timing and pre-payment makes me immediately think about how I feel so lucky to have any product made by the The Guy on any time frame at all, and I'd consider it a privilege to be able to offer advanced capital contributions if it is in any way helpful.

Guy - you've got my full support and encouragement to do things just as you see fit and thank you for sharing so much of your amazing talent.

Thanks very much NowIC.
Very grateful for the support and especially pleased that you are enjoying your HF-R UTT.
I've dropped mine so many times now its not funny but the thing just keeps on keeping on, hasn't skipped a beat.

Its kind of funny these days when my friends say to people "he makes cutting edge flashlights", the response is "oh, you mean like with LEDs?". Next they usually ask what's special about them...

Thats when I tell them....
I have a team of 500 of the world's most elite flashlight designers, users, connoisseurs and advisors and we convene a few times a week to discuss R&D, new ideas and how to make the most "kick xss" products in the world. It's long and gruelling work, there's plenty of tunnel digging, and we are forced to carry lights with us wherever we go (sometimes multiple lights) all for the cause.

They also have extremely unique features like a timed self destruct mode (switch on high, place in bathtub, run)

Not exactly sure how thats all related but thank you :bow:

Guy, to create the flashdark in a not so complicated way, just invent the infinite probability light. It might just light a distant corner of the universe at any time you turn it on and occasionally project a couch or floating bowl of petunias, but with sufficient tries, it will at least once cancel light around it. It's also a great shortcut to anything improbable :D

I totally forgot about the petunia floating bowl launcher. I'll have to check with the workshop team to see if they can gain access to the particle accelerator facility, to bottle a few of the needed components.

Depending on the cost (I'm currently unemployed but make sacrifices for things I care about), I would love to be in this elite club of supporters.
If membership number was dependant on how quickly I paid once committing, I'd definitely be #1 :)

Michal
Hi Michal,

Again, thanks for your support.
I'm not planning on launching it anytime in the next few minutes so no pressure ;)

Maybe 2014?
If/When, I'll need to limit the number of places (want to make sure everyone is enjoying it) and there's plenty of things to work out first, but its definitely something I'd love to do at some point.

Tgwnn

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Attn. 10440 battery seekers, there's a guy over in BLF that is opening an online store this weekend. He will be stocking the smaller Efest cells as well as 18650's of various high discharge makers, good prices and he ships from Washington State. I've ordered hot Samsung 20R cells and Qlite 3.04A 105c based drivers from him and they came quickly, priced the same or lower as ordering from China. His handle is RMM, I'll be watching and communicating with him and will of course share his website address as soon as it's up and running this weekend. He was using an order form based business from within the forum, but the website will host PayPal and be easily accessible to everyone.

Stay tuned! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts