500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi All,

Thanks so much for your patience.

A quick post to let you know I just sent out a bunch of Window 4 "shipped" mails.

Still 2 handfulls of Window 4 Torpedo Xs to ship out tomorrow night, then all going well there should be a small number of Window 5 Torpedo Xs in the next few days as well.

Tomorrow, I'll have an update and ETA for the Window 5 Xs that don't make it this week though my rough guess is about 4 weeks to have some new PCBs made, assembled & installed but I'm hopefull that the forthcoming batch will be the best yet.

Back to catch up on posts shortly.

Tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
In response to Gunga's impressions:
Yes, PWM should definitely be well over 100hz
Propeller: I agree it should not risk have a couple of ideas on that:
- just mold the end with very low profile fins that are almost like an engraving OR...
- a screw hole onto which we could screw in a clip, a simple stopper to keep the thread clean or an actual working fan onto which we could blow and get it spinning for real. The last one would be much bigger and justify why we might want to be able to take it off. Really just a bath-time accessory most of the time, but would be so cool :D

Thanks Cataract,

Appreciate the feedback and looking forward to sending your tracking number tomorrow ;)

Oh sure, the Canadians get theirs first! You can have Justin Bieber back, we don't even want him, just give us our flashlights!
Hi nbp,

Having to choose between Justin Bieber and a Torpedo X might be a tough choice for some :D

Didn't get mine yet (it is window 4, though). Keep Bieber, we'll take Shatner back instead even if he's not acting anymore. He did mention he'd like to be prime minister and with all the corruption problems we are uncovering I'd vote for him in a jiffy.
Shatner,
Gotta send him a Torpedo when the production version is ready.
Maybe he can test it on the Enterprise.

so to keep myself from exploding due to overexcitement, i happened to see a good price ($8.56 including tax) for a 650 lumen (claimed) light, http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...m-Home-Depot&p=4367418&viewfull=1#post4367418 that i decided to play with tonight. fun to light things up from a couple blocks away.
Hi cnlson,

Hope its been fun and not long now ;)

I should have said something sooner but didn't because I thought it might be a design dear to your heart, with the sharp fins, but if you wanted to keep them they could either be simply shaped and rounded a little, or also made a little lower in profile.

This has to be one of the better reasons to retain the fins.
Hi kaichu dento,

Thanks and no problem at all.
I'm always happy to hear it unbuttered :D

To be completely honest, my original fin design was far less aggressive (check out post 1 of part 1) but there were machining issues trying to duplicate it and I was ok with the sharp "killer" fins but a little tamer might be more practical for most.
As long as they are still aerodynamic and don't slow the shipping down ;)

The Torpedo has landed!!!!!!!!!!!
Guy THANK YOU SO MUCH for this project.
Mine is as near perfect as i can see.
Can't wait for the darkness.
Thanks Again
Hi Uriah,

Entirely my pleasure.
Still slogging through a lot of things but I'm so excited to finally, finally, finally be putting these in your hands, even as a beta and I'm looking forward to everybody's advice and feedback on how to make it the ultimate AAA.

I received my torpedo on Friday, and it is everything I had hoped for. Fantastic packaging, which is practical as well as decorative. The freebies are great and the usernames on the back page were a particularly nice touch, thank you. I will post a more detailed review after a week or two of edc use, but some initial impressions:

positive:

the look and feel are great. No issues with the printing. A great looking flashlight, even better in real life than in the photos. I particularly like the red ring.

lightweight but solid feeling. The knurling makes it easy to operate one handed. Just the right size for me - I carry a flashlight in a trouser pocket attached to a belt loop with a lanyard and it fits this method perfectly.

the emergency extendable body is a triumph

I love the switching ring. After having read about it for so long I can finally appreciate it properly now that I've used it. Very intuitive

the UI works very well for me - I may be one of the lucky ones, but it appears to function in a reliable and logical manner so far

the beam profile is perfect. Great balance of flood and hotspot

The glow powder is ingenious

the machining is excellent, with a couple of exceptions in the 'negative' section

works perfectly with all of the battery types.

negative:

there seems to be a problem with the thread on the long body - it can't quite be screwed on all the way to close flush against the head section. Still works fine though. I haven't had time to check it closely, may just be a bit of swarthe stuck in the thread.

I find the edges just a bit too sharp on the fins. A very slight bevel might solve that

being ultra picky, there is a very slight machining flaw on one of the fins (a tiny 'step' on the vertical cut, just a fraction of a mm)

The pwm flicker isn't that noticeable to me but might bother some people

i too solved the battery rattle with a post-it (MBI Nuke)

I would prefer a lower output on the low setting - I have some 5x80mm trits which are perfect for general 'don't bump into things' levels of light for well adjusted night vision in a small room, a similar level of light would be ideal for me

i now have no means to justify buying an hf-r to my wife!

thanks again!
Hi Endaulas,

Thanks so much for the fast feedback.

"the usernames on the back page were a particularly nice touch"

That's so you ALL know how an important part you all play but, that is the tribal present & hoping to send it out to everyone, once I'm done with the current Torpedo X batch of shipping. Not sure how many people noticed it though but it is a little discreet on purpose (I enjoy a little fun and mystery).

Do let me know how you go with screwing on the body all the way and if its doesn't seem to fit I'll be happy to send another.
If you get a chance to show me the fin with the flaw, that would be great too but not a must (and is it the short or long body?).

All other points, thanks and noted and will be looking to deal with them in the production version.

Really pleased that your X seems to be very stable.
Whilst I've noticed a reasonable amount of variance, it lets me know that it must be achievable.

Torp X Landed, WOW that was fast! I am loving the personal touches and appreciate the time and effort you put into making the receipt of this item fun (and it was)! I will be evaluating this for a day or so and then provide a full report.

OK, after a night of playing with....errr, rather....studying the X here are my impressions. I will report back if there is anything else of note later on. This is really a fun little piece of work Guy, well done! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Good

1) Performs well on all batteries (magnet needed for my li-ions)
  • This is what I love about the Torpedo! Ultimate flexibility!
2) Excellent output
3) Design looks sharp, love the black and red
  • Knurling, finish, and lettering are flawless!
4) Auto step down from high to low on li-ion functional (not sure if this was the intention but it functions)
5) Reversible clip attachment
  • I like that when on the head it will protect the control ring
  • Don't want to use the clip because it seems it will damage the finish
    • Maybe roll the edges out a bit
6) PWM not noticeable on any battery with my X and I am generally sensitive to it

Personal Preferences
1) Control ring a bit looser than I would prefer
2) Bezel ring a little rough (edges visible)
3) Tailfin outer edges a bit sharp
  • Maybe take them down just a hair on the outer edges

Quirks
1) After level 1 rotating left/right steps up in brightness
  • I kind of like this unless I am trying to turn it off lol
2) Often wont' shift down when reversing directions (left). Then when going back up (right) it becomes the down direction and decreases brightness.

Thanks so much clg0159,

Roughness in the finish will be eliminated in production as will the control ring friction (not too loose).
Tailfins, thanks and looks like a slightly less aggressive version is what most people are mentioning.

Quirks, definitely still a few and I am wanting to eliminate them for the production version because my personal feeling is that all tools have to be both consistent and dependable if they are going to earn a spot in my lineup.

Personal touches....
I enjoy dreaming these up as much as I do dreaming up bright lights and cool technology.
Just like the secret code on the back of the calendar, there are other mysteries embedded from time to time and its just as much fun to see if people discover them as it might be to be the one discovering them :)
Most of all though, they are an expression of gratitude to everybody here (and of course that includes the silent ones who don't post) for the support you show and allowing me the opportunity to continue doing what I enjoy so very much.

Perhaps someone would give a manual of arms for this torch, with pictures and/or video?

Hi KITROBASKIN,
Thanks for posting.
Let me dig up the old manual I made (I think its still online somewhere) and post it.
I'll work on an updated summary of what the target functionality is vs what the X is too.

Tgwnn

tino79

Newly Enlightened
Hey Guy,

thank you for the Torpedo X. I received it yesterday. I made a little review in a German torchlight forum:

http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/taschenlampen/31512-mbi-torpedo-x.html#post407443

Issues I noticed until now:

The Mode switching is not always as aspected (you told us bevore).

Than after about 30 Seconds on the highest mode the Torpedo jumps down to the lowest mode. In this case it doesn't matter which batterie I use. It's the same with LiIon and Eneloop.

Without this issues in the Final version it's a great light! I enjoy it within the issues at the moment.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Shatner,
Gotta send him a Torpedo when the production version is ready.
Maybe he can test it on the Enterprise.

Tgwnn

Hmmm, he might wait for the PHOTON TORPEDO version. (A natural name for the "torpedo" considering IT'S mission is to fire photons....)

:D

MY Torpedo is in NYC right now according to tracking info, so, that's about all the review I can do for now.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guy: looking forward that e-mail :D

Hmmm, he might wait for the PHOTON TORPEDO version. (A natural name for the "torpedo" considering IT'S mission is to fire photons....)

Good point! My guess is the Photon Torpedo will be at least 800 lumens and covered in glow powder

MY Torpedo is in NYC right now according to tracking info, so, that's about all the review I can do for now.

Well, you could start by commenting on the shipping...

Machinist Man

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guy, I got the shipping notification. I am very excited for the X's arrival. I know that this has taken 2 1/2 years to make it to the "X" version, BUT!, good things come to those who wait!!! Congratulations on getting to the point of being able to ship out the "X" run batch of lights. I don't think any of us can begin to comprehend the amount of work involved in getting this far. Thank You for all your efforts and your sacrifices, and having us be a part of this. My two HF's are awaiting there sibling.

PS:
sassaquin, our thoughts and prayers go out to your sister and you!

Calvin

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Guy,

thank you for the Torpedo X. I received it yesterday. I made a little review in a German torchlight forum:

http://www.taschenlampen-forum.de/taschenlampen/31512-mbi-torpedo-x.html#post407443

Issues I noticed until now:

The Mode switching is not always as aspected (you told us bevore).

Than after about 30 Seconds on the highest mode the Torpedo jumps down to the lowest mode. In this case it doesn't matter which batterie I use. It's the same with LiIon and Eneloop.

Without this issues in the Final version it's a great light! I enjoy it within the issues at the moment.
Hi Tino,

Thanks for the post and feedback and great pics over at the German forum :thumbsup:

Thanks for the review TEEJ ;)

Guy: looking forward that e-mail :D

Good point! My guess is the Photon Torpedo will be at least 800 lumens and covered in glow powder

Well, you could start by commenting on the shipping...
LOL :crackup:

Hi Guy, I got the shipping notification. I am very excited for the X's arrival. I know that this has taken 2 1/2 years to make it to the "X" version, BUT!, good things come to those who wait!!! Congratulations on getting to the point of being able to ship out the "X" run batch of lights. I don't think any of us can begin to comprehend the amount of work involved in getting this far. Thank You for all your efforts and your sacrifices, and having us be a part of this. My two HF's are awaiting there sibling.

PS:
sassaquin, our thoughts and prayers go out to your sister and you!

Calvin

Thanks so much Calvin,

Posting seems to be ok now...
Hoping to keep all my body parts intact all the way through to the production version :twothumbs
but ready for plenty of work ahead all the way to the goal.
Just hoping the next milestone is a lot faster and looks like the X is playing a great part in speeding that up.

Tgwnn

m72

Newly Enlightened
the_guy_with_no_name

Thank you! MBI Torpedo X arrived. Awesome.
I will describe my feelings after few days.

flashflood

Enlightened
Quick question: I got the shipping notice a few days ago (w00t), but every time I've tried the link to japanpost.jp it hasn't responded. Is anyone else having similar problems tracking shipment?

cistallus

Enlightened
... Really, if the ui was more stable (and more 1 direction. :) ) and the PWM was higher frequency, I would be proclaiming this as the best AAA light ever, even with my bleeding leg with the tail fin stuck in it. ...
I burst out laughing when I saw this - is this the new threshold to become a flashoholic? :crackup:

Tofty

Enlightened
Received my Torpedo a few days ago and i love it.
The control ring is in exactly the right place for true one handed operation and each twist gives a mode change quite consistently.
It's multi-direction operation doesn't really bother me as it still allows quicker mode selection and changes than the other AAA sized light i own, especially the clicky ones (the Preon switch drives me mad as it has very little travel before it latches making mode cycling a real chore)

The replaceable tail cap does seem like a good idea for those who would rather do without the fins, or have a loop big enough for paracord, or just stuff the tail end full of tritium, or whatever the mod community is in mind to to.

Thank you Guy, i'll send you a proper email next week when hopefully you'll have a second in the day (or night) to read it,
Cheers

Megatrowned

Enlightened
Quick question: I got the shipping notice a few days ago (w00t), but every time I've tried the link to japanpost.jp it hasn't responded. Is anyone else having similar problems tracking shipment?

I had the same issue. Try this. Copy the last 13 digits (numbers and letters) in the link, this is your package number. Then google Japan Post tracking. With a little bit of looking, you can find the proper tracking page and paste in your package number.

rebelbayou

Newly Enlightened
Guy,

Did I miss something in the above post or am I correct in assuming that if we haven't gotten a shipping notice yet, it will be another 4 or 5 weeks before you expect more Torpedos' to be ready?

cnlson

Newly Enlightened

Same here, but I used the tracking number to search, first at Japan post and this morning at usps and it is searchable in both sites. Usps is the one that matters to me as it will track right to my door.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here, but I used the tracking number to search, first at Japan post and this morning at usps and it is searchable in both sites. Usps is the one that matters to me as it will track right to my door.

+1 for me as well. I copy and paste the number in the usps tracking area. Works like a charm. My Torpedo left New York yesterday and is moving towards me!!!:party:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts