500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker

Enlightened
Mine is on the way, according to THIS LINK, but after reading about all the problems, especially, ones associated with heat & possible harm to the light or yourself, I'm not gonna open up the package...Who want's it?

Yes, I'm overly concerned for my safety, as well as my Grandkids who may stumble on to it...

slntdth93

Newly Enlightened
Mine is on the way, according to THIS LINK, but after reading about all the problems, especially, ones associated with heat & possible harm to the light or yourself, I'm not gonna open up the package...Who want's it?

Yes, I'm overly concerned for my safety, as well as my Grandkids who may stumble on to it...

I think the issue only potentially occurs on lithium batteries. No issues have been heard with NiMH (or the lower voltage batteries - because who uses alkaleaks in their lights?)

Husker

Enlightened
I think the issue only potentially occurs on lithium batteries. No issues have been heard with NiMH (or the lower voltage batteries - because who uses alkaleaks in their lights?)

I ordered & received 4 Efest IMR 10440 350mAh batteries just for this light, have any problems been associated with these as fuel?

cnlson

Newly Enlightened
I have looked carefully on the extendable tube and there are no o-ring. I do however see a groove where I think It perhaps should have been? See picture.

image_zpscd957939.jpg

Then there is just the lock-out function left and you have a perfect light. And it seems like you are on top of that as well :)

i found the same thing when looking at mine but the oring's remains were in the bottom.

guy,
i just need to know what size to look for

Machinist Man

Newly Enlightened
I finally was united with my Torpedo X, Woo Hoo! :twothumbs

Guy, you have put together a very special package with the presentation of this light. It makes this whole experience very COOL! I do believe this light and all of the little extras will become a sought after collector's item in the future. The Torpedo X case is awesome with the battery storage in the head. The workmanship and detail of everything is top notch!

My SSN: X052 I don't remember what emitter I was receiving in this light. I don't think that I requested a specific one with my order. I really do like the warm tint and floody beam that it has. This is perfect for my uses. The X has a warmer tint then my two HF's.

The fit and finish is flawless, the threads are all very nicely done and smooth. The two battery tubes that come with the light make it very versatile. The 10250 tube that is extendable to fit an AAA or 10440 for "emergency use" is ingenuous! The tube requires 33 turns out to get to too the same length as the AAA/10440 body. Some have previously posted that they start to lengthen the tube when trying to unscrew the body. That happened to me also but once I realized that, it's a nonissue for me. That is just something you learn while getting acquainted with your light.

Now for the things that I have noticed while getting acquainted with this light:

"The machining side of things."

The tail fins: The edges should have radiuses / softened edges. But I think they need to stay as they are part of the design. Should still be able to tail stand with whatever changes are made here. The fins actually help grip in the palm of your hand for one handed operation.

The key chain hole: I believe that it is too close to the edge of the material that is there. EDC of this light on a key chain I think would wear through in time and break off the key chain. That would be a terrible way to lose this light! :(

The O-Ring: The O-Ring squished out on me a couple of times. It has settled down after changing battery tubes numerous times. Two things that I think could help here are: there is not much of a back up shoulder machined on the head were the O-Ring sits. That allows the O-Ring to squish out. The other thing that I think can help is a harder durometer O-Ring. I think this one is too soft.

"The control ring and bodies."

I would like to see a more aggressive knurling on the control ring and body for better grip. My aging hands would appreciate that. What's there now looks great! That's just my personal preference. I am not saying I am old here! But I am getting there. :laughing:

I would like to see detents for off and light level locations. I think the control ring should be a little stiffer to turn to help prevent accidental on.

The UI on my light seems to operate as described for the most part. I found that the light operation is more stable when I align two dots before screwing on the battery tube. Having dots not lined up can cause the light to come on while screwing on the body. I have tested with 1.2 V eneloop, AAA Alkaline, Zinc Chloride, 10440, 10250 NuKe. The light acted mostly the same with all the different battery types but operated the most stable on the eneloop. The biggest issue I had with the UI was the light getting stuck on high.
Normally turning the control ring either way ramped up from low to high. It did not go from high to low in the opposite direction. I would like to see that in the production version.

Also previously posted that the battery spring is too weak. I agree.

Guy, all in all a superb, over the top job on this light!!! You should be proud of this achievement! :thumbsup:

I hope my two cents helps a little.

I will EDC this light in my pants pocket for a while and see if I can acquire the" X" impalement mark in my leg! :D

Calvin

Machinist Man

Newly Enlightened
I missed one thing.

Previously noted that the second light level should be brighter. Not enough difference from low. I agree.

I think I am done now. LOL!

Calvin

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ran mine on #3 mode for 45min continously before it auto turned itself to low with an event 350mah nuke.... Not bad for that brightness!

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope, and there's no way I'll be mating with a male Unicorn (or even female for that matter) anytime soon!
:crackup: No worries... we can only use redheads to make Uniloopmas. Good for you because an international kidnapping was about to go into operation!

I will EDC this light in my pants pocket for a while and see if I can acquire the" X" impalement mark in my leg! :D
LOL... Torpedo users are becoming a special breed as they bear "the mark". I envision a not too distant future when MBI'ers identify themselves by pulling up a pant leg.

EDIT: Or mooning everyone, depending on what pocket they carry it in.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
:crackup: No worries... we can only use redheads to make Uniloopmas. Good for you because an international kidnapping was about to go into operation!

Kidnapping me would have been spending tons of money for nothing... just pop some corn in the microwave and chop some habaneros and Uni's scratching at the door like a dog during a thunderstorm... A simple home invasion would have sufficed.

[...]

Interesting... maybe my dog was from the future and on the lookout for a torpedo owner.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will post some feedback later. I have to stop testing though as it is just heating up batteries to where I felt the burn of the battery on my fingers when getting it out. I think it may have actually toasted a battery and I didn't know it. The one in it was working and I left it for a day since pocket carry could not be done since it will turn on quite often. Well, the battery was completely drained and may have heated like this other battery which scares me as to what could have happened. Can't risk a potential fire or something in my house over a flashlight. :(

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOL... Torpedo users are becoming a special breed as they bear "the mark". I envision a not too distant future when MBI'ers identify themselves by pulling up a pant leg.

Golly gosh, that was a good one! :crackup:

Back to post some more after this short community message......

What I used my HF-R for today,
was on the way to the post office a little after 1am and the car behind me was driving with no lights.
grabbed the HF-R with momentary switch (and ZoomHead) and did a random SOS pointed at the driver behind me
2 sets of 5 flashes with a second or two in between so they knew I wasn't some alien about to abduct them
and a couple of seconds later, lights came on :twothumbs

Tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will post some feedback later. I have to stop testing though as it is just heating up batteries to where I felt the burn of the battery on my fingers when getting it out. I think it may have actually toasted a battery and I didn't know it. The one in it was working and I left it for a day since pocket carry could not be done since it will turn on quite often. Well, the battery was completely drained and may have heated like this other battery which scares me as to what could have happened. Can't risk a potential fire or something in my house over a flashlight. :(

Hi Tixx,

Thanks for posting.
Some q's if I may...
What battery are you running?
Was the X hot as soon as (or shortly after) you put the battery in?
Have you tried 1.5V batteries?

For now, please don't use li-ions.

Tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
I played with the spring and it's centered, if I get it working I'll let you know.... Other than size, that's the only advantage to a AAA flashlight.

Looking ahead to,, Zeus production.
If the AAA can be this bright, I have high hopes for the Zeus with the larger bezel

Thanks windstrings,

Zeus has a larger battery capacity too of course but think of it as more of everything ;)

I tried an Alkaline AAA, 10440, NiMH and a Baby Nuke and they all worked fine. :) I really like the fact that it doesn't "cut out" when changing levels. Just an instant increase in brightness from one level to the next. So far, my control ring works either way. I think a decrease in the spacing between modes would be more user friendly and the control ring has a little grittiness to it, but I only noticed it the first few times I used it. Maybe it's getting easier. Either way it's not bothersome to me. How do you get the clip off the end of the plastic tube? Just pull it or bend it to one side? Mine feels like it's really stuck to the tube. Also, has anyone compared the Torpedo to their HF-R? My little red HF-R seems to blow away the Torpedo. Maybe it's the tint? Btw, love the 4000K tint TGWNN! Thanks for choosing that one for me. I love both of my little MBI lights and can't ever see myself parting with either one!
Hi rebelbayou,
Thanks for the feedback.

I snapped 2 clips way back in testing trying to remove them from the tube.
I had the tube size reduced a little.
The ideal way is to try and push it to the side but its very tight.
I snapped mine by pulling on the clip part.

Glad you are liking the 4000K.
Nice and warm :D

I'm luvin people's reaction.. After first having them feel how light it is, It goes as such when I tell them "I won't shine it it your eyes but I want you to see if you can watch it"...
1. They stare at the bezel from an angle to the side.
2. I turn it to 1st level = cool!, nice!
3. I turn the 2nd level = oh Yea, that's nice!
4. I turn to 3 level = Wow! That's bright!... And most look away and they think I'm done as surely that's the brightest it can go, , I tell them to keep watching....
5. I go to 4th level = ouch!, oh man, that's crazy... The intensity is a total surprise and No one can keep looking as they go blind, and everyone asks... Where did you get that?... No one likes the price except the hunter sportsman type that realize what it takes to make such a light .... LOL!

Glad you're having fun with the X :D
You should try the same thing with an HF :twothumbs

The X 67 Torpedo arrived today after U.S. Customs held it for 3 days. I felt fortunate they didn't detain it
longer. No, the package didn't appear to have been opened.

I can only reiterate the positive comments others have already made. The craftsmanship is exemplary
and your attention to detail is much appreciated. #67 accepts 1.5V AAA and 10440 along with some
occasional quirkiness as I fully expected. No joy using 10250's though. I hadn't tried the spacer magnet
yet so I decided to give that a try. Upon removing the head I noticed the 10250 wouldn't come out of
the body. To make a long story short I finally got the battery out at the expense of some of the blue
plastic insulation on the battery base. Apparently the spring tip caught under the insulation and screwed
itself on quite securely. I'm not complaining mind you. You asked for feedback so I am trying to oblige. I
should have quit while I was ahead, but I attached the spacer to the positive nub and reassembled only
to find there still wasn't any joy. It was within two seconds I started feeling the Torpedo body heating
up. I immediately started unscrewing the head as fast as I could. The body was not hot by the time the
body and head were separated, but both were very warm. In that short amount of time the battery
dropped from 4.2 volts to 3.28V. No apparent harm done to the Torpedo as it still functions with AAA's and
10440's. I'm done trying 10250's at least for tonight while I think this through. Tomorrow I'll try
removing the spring from the short body and bend the spring tip inward to prevent a recurrence of the
spring and battery insulation mating. So far I'm pleased with the purchase and fully expected a beta to
be just that. These are my initial observations and wanted to share them with you while they are still
fresh in my mind. I'll try to give an update if I discover something worthy of updating. Thanks again for
the cool X!
Hi maskman,

Thanks very much for the feedback and testing :thumbsup:
It goes without saying that I sure do want to hear it all, the good the bad and the down right weird ;)

My biggest concern is making sure everyone is safe and keeps all their fingers, legs and houses too.
Had I known that there were such issues with li-ions, even in a handfull of the X's, in all honesty, I would have waited to sort them out first.

The feedback so far has been a huge help in clarifying not only circuit related issues but of course, UI and general usage enhancements too.

I would love that, PM on the way.
Pm sent ;)

Hi Husker,

Thanks for the post and sorry, I was not expecting the X to be a scary affair.
It goes without saying but if you prefer to send back the unopened package, do feel welcome to send me a mail and I'll be more than happy to send you a refund.

Thanks for noting that slntdth.
So far, I've not had any reports of something that resembles "risky business" with either NiMH/Alkaleaks.

I ordered & received 4 Efest IMR 10440 350mAh batteries just for this light, have any problems been associated with these as fuel?
I need to double check but I think there may have been 2 reports.
It seems to be an "either it is or isn't" kind of an issue.
With the exception of Tixx's post one or two before this one (though I need to learn more about the circumstance) it seems that a li-ion malfunction seems to happen almost immediately when putting one in. A few reports of standard AAA's (1.5v) not working and I'm not sure if that's because of some damage indirectly by a li-ion or not.

From examining some of the circuits that came back from the workshop, it looks like there are two versions.
One is the rescued version and the other is a newer version. The layout is the same but it appears that a small number of the component brands are different (at least one of the mosfets that I spotted) and I wonder if that may be a reason for different issues appearing for different people.

Those work great on mine.
Thanks windstrings

i found the same thing when looking at mine but the oring's remains were in the bottom.

guy,
i just need to know what size to look for
I'll double check the size and post it.
I can send you some.

Early on, I noticed this issue and it seemed to vanish when the o-ring was well oiled.

I finally was united with my Torpedo X, Woo Hoo! :twothumbs

Guy, you have put together a very special package with the presentation of this light. It makes this whole experience very COOL! I do believe this light and all of the little extras will become a sought after collector's item in the future. The Torpedo X case is awesome with the battery storage in the head. The workmanship and detail of everything is top notch!

My SSN: X052 I don't remember what emitter I was receiving in this light. I don't think that I requested a specific one with my order. I really do like the warm tint and floody beam that it has. This is perfect for my uses. The X has a warmer tint then my two HF's.

The fit and finish is flawless, the threads are all very nicely done and smooth. The two battery tubes that come with the light make it very versatile. The 10250 tube that is extendable to fit an AAA or 10440 for "emergency use" is ingenuous! The tube requires 33 turns out to get to too the same length as the AAA/10440 body. Some have previously posted that they start to lengthen the tube when trying to unscrew the body. That happened to me also but once I realized that, it's a nonissue for me. That is just something you learn while getting acquainted with your light.

Now for the things that I have noticed while getting acquainted with this light:

"The machining side of things."

The tail fins: The edges should have radiuses / softened edges. But I think they need to stay as they are part of the design. Should still be able to tail stand with whatever changes are made here. The fins actually help grip in the palm of your hand for one handed operation.

The key chain hole: I believe that it is too close to the edge of the material that is there. EDC of this light on a key chain I think would wear through in time and break off the key chain. That would be a terrible way to lose this light! :(

The O-Ring: The O-Ring squished out on me a couple of times. It has settled down after changing battery tubes numerous times. Two things that I think could help here are: there is not much of a back up shoulder machined on the head were the O-Ring sits. That allows the O-Ring to squish out. The other thing that I think can help is a harder durometer O-Ring. I think this one is too soft.

"The control ring and bodies."

I would like to see a more aggressive knurling on the control ring and body for better grip. My aging hands would appreciate that. What's there now looks great! That's just my personal preference. I am not saying I am old here! But I am getting there. :laughing:

I would like to see detents for off and light level locations. I think the control ring should be a little stiffer to turn to help prevent accidental on.

The UI on my light seems to operate as described for the most part. I found that the light operation is more stable when I align two dots before screwing on the battery tube. Having dots not lined up can cause the light to come on while screwing on the body. I have tested with 1.2 V eneloop, AAA Alkaline, Zinc Chloride, 10440, 10250 NuKe. The light acted mostly the same with all the different battery types but operated the most stable on the eneloop. The biggest issue I had with the UI was the light getting stuck on high.
Normally turning the control ring either way ramped up from low to high. It did not go from high to low in the opposite direction. I would like to see that in the production version.

Also previously posted that the battery spring is too weak. I agree.

Guy, all in all a superb, over the top job on this light!!! You should be proud of this achievement! :thumbsup:

I hope my two cents helps a little.

Calvin
Hi Calvin,

Thanks so much for the detailed feedback :twothumbs
I think most of the "things to improve" have been mentioned so thanks for reiterating their importance.
Your 11,502 cents are a big help :D

My plan is to compile all the feedback, summarize it and once the ever so patient Window 5 brothers in arms have had a chance to check things out, I'll put together a survey/poll for the enhancements and decide on the road forward based on that.

Good luck with the X impalement.

The spring was a trojan to get the tail to heat up, so you could all bear the mark of X for a long time... ha ha ha...snarl....
Just kidding of course :bow:

I missed one thing.

Previously noted that the second light level should be brighter. Not enough difference from low. I agree.

I think I am done now. LOL!

Calvin
Yes, me agree too ;)

Just ran mine on #3 mode for 45min continously before it auto turned itself to low with an event 350mah nuke.... Not bad for that brightness!
Thanks windstrings,

Now we need to test #1 mode runtime...
any volunteers? :D

Mine works fine with the long tube using any AAA size and 10440's.

Calvin
Thanks for sharing it :thumbsup:

Kidnapping me would have been spending tons of money for nothing... just pop some corn in the microwave and chop some habaneros and Uni's scratching at the door like a dog during a thunderstorm... A simple home invasion would have sufficed.

Interesting... maybe my dog was from the future and on the lookout for a torpedo owner.
Hi Cataract,
I had to borrow the Unicorn for a clandestine OP somewhere near the Gulf of Carpentaria.
Looks like it was a success but I'll know for sure once a package lands.

Hopefully, tonight is your last night without a Torpedo ;)

Tgwnn

Husker

Enlightened
Hi Husker,

Thanks for the post and sorry, I was not expecting the X to be a scary affair.
It goes without saying but if you prefer to send back the unopened package, do feel welcome to send me a mail and I'll be more than happy to send you a refund.

I already opened the package and repacked it, since it's my problem, I'll just post it in the For sale section.

Status
Not open for further replies.