500 Lumen - AAA Flashlight (photos) - Work In Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
XM-L tint choice....

C) XM-L T5 - 4500K - white neutral - 133lm/W
D) XM-L T4 - 3500K - white warm - 118lm/W
I think the higher output a light has, the more benefit there is to be gained from warmer tint
and although I do like some of my cooler lights, it's virtually always when used at lower levels. A light rated for 500 lumens is going to be gorgeous with the 3500k, but I could still be interested in one of the median tints.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a XM-L T6 5000k and its a great tint , probably the best on my list of flashlights.

So my vote is also for B .

Thanks.

I think the higher output a light has, the more benefit there is to be gained from warmer tint
and although I do like some of my cooler lights, it's virtually always when used at lower levels. A light rated for 500 lumens is going to be gorgeous with the 3500k, but I could still be interested in one of the median tints.

Thanks kc,

One point to keep in mind is that we are tuning the driver to a fixed power output at each mode (2mA,25mA,250mA,500mA,750mA,1400mA), based on the T6.

That means the actual lumen output will vary depending on the bin of the XM-L used in the light.
Changing led's is easier to do than re-programming the driver.

tgwnn

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
One point to keep in mind is that we are tuning the driver to a fixed power output at each mode (2mA,25mA,250mA,500mA,750mA,1400mA), based on the T6.

That means the actual lumen output will vary depending on the bin of the XM-L used in the light.
Changing led's is easier to do than re-programming the driver.
Because of the care you're putting into every decision I have no doubts that it's going to be an incredible light, as I can't imagine you making any decisions that don't pass your own muster, and I doubt you're any less picky than we are!

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
GL, thanks as always!

vote counted :thumbsup:

>>I have three lights with the U2 bins, and they are not green at all
thanks for confirming that!
I dont have any U2's yet so it was just a "heard" ;)

How is the color/bin of yours? are all 3 very consistant in color?

tgwnn
Hi Guy,
Yes all three are consistent. Only CW tint bin that was available was 1B ~6500k.
There is a slight blueish corona, definately white :).
GL

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
XM-L tint choice....

I've been looking through the various tints & color bins,
hoping to get something that is pleasing to the majority of people.

There are many choices but these are the top contenders:

A) XM-L T6 - 6650K - white cool - 143lm/W
B) XM-L T6 - 5000K - white cool - 138lm/W
C) XM-L T5 - 4500K - white neutral - 133lm/W
D) XM-L T4 - 3500K - white warm - 118lm/W

For now, version 1 at least, I'm leaning towards B) as its reasonably close to neutral with very little sacrifice (unnoticeable) in output.

What do you think?

DISCLAIMER:
Please understand there is still no guarantee that we can get any of these bin's until we actually place the purchase order.
I will of course make very clear what bin is used before anything is available for purchase.

tgwnn
First off I am the noob, not the flashlight maker and could be mistaken... Personally I think 5000K is cool white, 3000K - 4500K is in the Warm/Neutral CCT. More importantly, I see no mention of tint bins only efficiency bins. Efficiency bins and tint bins are completely separate from my understanding. XM-L T6, T5, T4, etc. is only giving you the information about the efficiency and brightness of the emitter. Tint bins are a separate classification. The color temperatures associated with those efficiency bins could vary drastically.... I could be completely wrong...

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because of the care you're putting into every decision I have no doubts that it's going to be an incredible light, as I can't imagine you making any decisions that don't pass your own muster, and I doubt you're any less picky than we are!
thanks so much for the vote of confidence :mecry:
doing my utmost, but the feedback is always a huge help :thumbsup:

Hi Guy,
Yes all three are consistent. Only CW tint bin that was available was 1B ~6500k.
There is a slight blueish corona, definately white :).
GL

Got it, thank you ;)

First off I am the noob, not the flashlight maker and could be mistaken... Personally I think 5000K is cool white, 3000K - 4500K is in the Warm/Neutral CCT. More importantly, I see no mention of tint bins only efficiency bins. Efficiency bins and tint bins are completely separate from my understanding. XM-L T6, T5, T4, etc. is only giving you the information about the efficiency and brightness of the emitter. Tint bins are a separate classification. The color temperatures associated with those efficiency bins could vary drastically.... I could be completely wrong...

Thanks TyJo,

Appreciate the feedback. :)

There are many more variables, as you mentioned.

The numbers I put down are just the summarized version, trying to pick the best choice of what's currently available on digikey, and provide a sample of cool-white/neutral/warm tints as a starting point for feedback and make it obvious that there is a difference in output amongst the bins.

If I get into exact bin numbers and then all the parameters, its a little more confusing and too many variables (even for me) to decide upon.

tgwnn

SixM

Newly Enlightened
First choice D,
Second choice C, cool XM-Ls are popping up everyday, no too many neutral or warms to be had. Glad I snagged a neutral Thrunite 1C when available, it's my #1 go to EDC light right now because of the high output, moonlight mode, and tint.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Choice "C" sounds great to me. I have been changing out LEDs lately, and the 4500K is the most consistent in it's tints (5B is good)

The Warmer ones I have tried (although not up around the 500Lumen mark) have given everything an unnatural orange hue.

Acid87

Enlightened
I'm not someone obsessed by tint on saying that. Neutral or cool white would be my preference. I'm also very happy to let you decide since you have been very thorough throughout the design of the light.
Im getting all excited now.....

sydder

Newly Enlightened
This looks amazing, as long as you can ship internationally for less than an arm and a leg I'll take one.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
C would be my first choice, B my second choice. Warm would be my last choice, like jabe1 said, warm just makes everything look funny.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
First choice D,
Second choice C, cool XM-Ls are popping up everyday, no too many neutral or warms to be had. Glad I snagged a neutral Thrunite 1C when available, it's my #1 go to EDC light right now because of the high output, moonlight mode, and tint.
Thanks SixM

Choice "C" sounds great to me. I have been changing out LEDs lately, and the 4500K is the most consistent in it's tints (5B is good)

The Warmer ones I have tried (although not up around the 500Lumen mark) have given everything an unnatural orange hue.
Thanks Jabe

I'm not someone obsessed by tint on saying that. Neutral or cool white would be my preference. I'm also very happy to let you decide since you have been very thorough throughout the design of the light.
Im getting all excited now.....
t'is exciting!
Thanks Acid.
I tend to like neutral too and I'm usually ok with a little bit of leeway in either direction.
I like the clean look of a slightly whitish neutral too, and on the rare occasion I do enjoy the old, familiar color of the warm lights.

This looks amazing, as long as you can ship internationally for less than an arm and a leg I'll take one.
Thanks sydder and welcome.
No body parts required.
I recently checked postage costs and it was...
Approximately $8.50 for priority (5-8days), registered, airmail anywhere in the world,
and about double that for Express (2-4days), depending on where you are located.

C would be my first choice, B my second choice. Warm would be my last choice, like jabe1 said, warm just makes everything look funny.

Thanks Mac,

Looks like C is popular.
Not a huge difference in color to B (C=4500 / B=5000) and a guess of 25 lumen difference on high mode between B & C

tgwnn :thanks:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a strong preference for 4500K (well, 4300 to be exact) but as an alternative, 5000K would be very acceptable.

lovecpf

revolver

Newly Enlightened
For what it's worth, I've got a U2 XM-L and it is very, very green.. I'd personally go with either B) or C)

Status
Not open for further replies.