79 year old man gets mugged no one helps

daimleramg

Banned
Would I jump in to a fight for a guy I don't know whose getting attacked by 5 guys with bats? No that's stupid. I'd call the police.

Would you still call the police if this man being beaten down by 5 guys with baseball bats was happening in a subway car and you had no where to go while your on the phone with the police?

Vesper

Enlightened
One of the main reasons I hate the city! :shakehead

Two words for both stories though, Conceal Carry :xyxgun:

Agreed, and is the reason I carry. Though as Illum mentioned, it's a tough call in the middle of it. After-the-fact arm-chairing is easy. No excuse for someone at least having the stones to pull the emergency alert.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you still call the police if this man being beaten down by 5 guys with baseball bats was happening in a subway car and you had no where to go while your on the phone with the police?

No because apparently the whole town is carrying baseball bats, so I'd pull out my EDC baseball bat and go to town on them. :crackup:They won't even see it coming. It's got Solarforce "tactical" spikes on it.

I'd sit down and watch it go down because for 5 guys to just beat him he must be really hated or it's a gang related thing. (This is what you wanted to hear).

Seriously I'd walk to the other side of the train and press the strip.

daimleramg

Banned
No because apparently the whole town is carrying baseball bats, so I'd pull out my EDC baseball bat and go to town on them. :crackup:They won't even see it coming. It's got Solarforce "tactical" spikes on it.

I'd sit down and watch it go down because for 5 guys to just beat him he must be really hated or it's a gang related thing. (This is what you wanted to hear).

Seriously I'd walk to the other side of the train and press the strip.

I'm gonna be completely honest with you, when I did use the TTC I did see the yellow strip but till I read that article I thought it would make a very loud alarm noise and the train would be coming to a screaching hault. How many people know by pressing the yellow strip it was only a silent alarm? From this day on if I see something happening yes I would press the yellow strip because now I know its basically a silent alarm, but I can vouch for more then 80% of those riders on that subway car they didn't know that either.(What the TTC needs to do is educate people about that yellow strip, all it says is tells you how much trouble you can get into by pressing it)

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm gonna be completely honest with you, when I did use the TTC I did see the yellow strip but till I read that article I thought it would make a very loud alarm noise and the train would be coming to a screaching hault. How many people know by pressing the yellow strip it was only a silent alarm? From this day on if I see something happening yes I would press the yellow strip because now I know its basically a silent alarm, but I can vouch for more then 80% of those riders on that subway car they didn't know that either.(What the TTC needs to do is educate people about that yellow strip, all it says is tells you how much trouble you can get into by pressing it)

I actually read the safety pamphlets one day that's how I learned. I did it while bored.

I wonder if a super loud alarm would be better...

daimleramg

Banned
http://www3.ttc.ca/Riding_the_TTC/Safety_and_Security/Security_features.jsp

Here is what happens when the PAA strip is pressed:

• An alarm goes off in your car and also in the driver's and guard's cabs.
  • A light on the outside of your car turns on so that it is easy for emergency personnel to see where the problem is.
  • The driver calls for emergency assistance.
  • The train stops at the next station and the doors open. The subway guard or the RT driver will check the situation and take appropriate action.
So it does sound an alarm in the car

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
As I watched the video of the New York attack, something kept nagging at me: it's pretty hard to tell the difference between the man lying on the ground and a homeless man. (Once he was turned over, of course, you could see the pool of blood. But before that, he looked a lot like any other drunk sleeping off a little too much alcohol on the sidewalk.)

The video was presented as an example of how 25 people can walk by the victim of an attack without bothering to stop and help. But it's not entirely clear to me that this is what happened there. After watching the video (and seeing people's reactions), I'm not sure they actually *knew* this man was attacked. It's entirely possible that if those people had seen the actual attack - or been able to see his injuries - some of them may have stopped to help. But there's nothing surprising about people passing a sleeping homeless man without bothering to wake him. In other words, the reason that some of these people failed to help may be due more to ignorance than apathy.

Just my two cents.

- FITP

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www3.ttc.ca/Riding_the_TTC/Safety_and_Security/Security_features.jsp

Here is what happens when the PAA strip is pressed:

• An alarm goes off in your car and also in the driver's and guard's cabs.
  • A light on the outside of your car turns on so that it is easy for emergency personnel to see where the problem is.
  • The driver calls for emergency assistance.
  • The train stops at the next station and the doors open. The subway guard or the RT driver will check the situation and take appropriate action.
So it does sound an alarm in the car

Yes. Still the guard will come investigate.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I watched the video of the New York attack, something kept nagging at me: it's pretty hard to tell the difference between the man lying on the ground and a homeless man. (Once he was turned over, of course, you could see the pool of blood. But before that, he looked a lot like any other drunk sleeping off a little too much alcohol on the sidewalk.)

The video was presented as an example of how 25 people can walk by the victim of an attack without bothering to stop and help. But it's not entirely clear to me that this is what happened there. After watching the video (and seeing people's reactions), I'm not sure they actually *knew* this man was attacked. It's entirely possible that if those people had seen the actual attack - or been able to see his injuries - some of them may have stopped to help. But there's nothing surprising about people passing a sleeping homeless man without bothering to wake him. In other words, the reason that some of these people failed to help may be due more to ignorance than apathy.

Just my two cents.

- FITP

This is an important distinction that FITP has brought up. The media loves the "if it bleeds, it leads" type stories, but the indignation would be tempered somewhat if the victim looked like the average street drunk, which might be the case here.

Peter

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
There were enough people on the video that gave him more than the quick glancing look expected with a passed out/drunk homeless type person. Some people stopped, talked to each other; one turned him over. I don't think this was a case where he looked like a typical sleeping vagrant.

Patriot mentioned some of the issues, a couple more might be that people don't know enough basic first aid to know what to do. They are on a tight schedule with firm commitments/deadlines, and don't want to get sidetracked. They don't understand the Good Samaritan Laws--and may not want to run a risk of being sued for causing more injury--even if in good faith (which is protected under the Laws). They may also have had a concern seeing the blood that their intervention may subject them to a risk of catching a serious disease (HIV, Hepatitis, etc.).

Even if they knew how to do CPR/First Aid, I don't know too many people who would be willing to give full CPR, including mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to a complete stranger, especially an "unkept" homeless type that reeks of urine and vomitus.

But not making a 911 call is unforgiveable.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Don't feel too badly Tebore, it's the new mentality of a growing percentage in western culture. Populations in general fall further under the societal "enlightenment" called moral relativism and the debilitating mindset of an entitlement culture with progressive subservience for cradle-to-grave governmental nurturing.

This pathetic attitude can be rooted in several different categories including:

1)I'm to frightened to intervene. I've never "manned-up" to anything my whole life, so why start now for someone I don't know?

2)Isn't that someone else's job? Don't we pay the police to deal with such things? Where are they?

3)I don't want to get involved. My own life and business on my Iphone is more important that getting mixed up in the fray. Besides, I might get sued if something goes wrong.

4)What is wrong and right? (a new version of 'what is truth?') Gosh, is it really even wrong to mug? The attackers were probably just underprivileged or abused, in which case it's not as wrong. Or, what if they just need money for food. It's not really that black and white is it? Besides, the victim is really old and has pretty much outlived his usefulness to society in general. If the "pack of predators" doesn't kill him he'll be dying of disease soon anyway.

This problem isn't going to get better either. It's only going to continue to worsen as we become more "civilized" and indoctrinated into a new age of enlightenment thinking. For decades we've seen a trend in our civilization in which the youngest and oldest members of our society are sometimes thought of as less than human and where the long standing, hard line of good ethics has been purposefully blurred to the point of being indistinguishable.

It's only when you have populations with strong moral groundings and plentiful individual freedoms that people routinely do right thing. Not only does this positively persuade the actions of would be bystanders to do the right thing but it works at the very heart of the problem which reduces the number of people willing to unjustifiably harm others in the first place.

God help us.
Excellent post Patriot, as usual. Wish that it weren't true, but as we've become more and more of an amoral society, things like this just become more and more commonplace. :sigh:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
One of the main reasons I hate the city! :shakehead

Two words for both stories though, Conceal Carry :xyxgun:

Only if you move out of NYC, first. Family obligations are all that's keeping me in this hoplophobic infested, joke of a city.