7D Maglite in a smaller package

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could get a couple 3AA to D SERIES adapters and use a 5 or 6 cell bulb in a 2D light running on AA Eneloops.

Noyb72

Newly Enlightened
So,
That would be a total of 6 Eneloops at 5.4Vs? That sounds like it would work. I am completely new to these Eneloops, what kind of charer do they require and are thy the same sie as standard AA cells?
Thanks
Ron

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
So,
That would be a total of 6 Eneloops at 5.4Vs? That sounds like it would work. I am completely new to these Eneloops, what kind of charer do they require and are thy the same sie as standard AA cells?
Thanks
Ron

Yes they are the same size as standard AA cells and any NiMH charger will work. I use one of my miboxer chargers that also charge lithium ion cells. Or if you're looking at NiMH only I'd look at maha chargers

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a pair of D to AA adapters and a pair of 3.7 volt double A's in those. I'm talking about the eneloop style adapter, not those side by side numbers.

This is a good idea but I prefer the side by side parallel adaptors. Double the runtime and much easier on the cells. I've used these before to great effect

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes they are the same size as standard AA cells and any NiMH charger will work. I use one of my miboxer chargers that also charge lithium ion cells. Or if you're looking at NiMH only I'd look at maha chargers

Some other charger options: Eneloop's BQ-CC 17 smart charger is a good, basic, low cost charger as is the charger that comes with the Eneloop sets they sell at cosco (the set includes AAA and AA Eneloops, a charger and some AA to C and D adapters).

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a 7C in a smaller package?

apfCaWG.jpg

It has taken me literally forever to get this light together but I'm sooooo glad I did. About a year ago Mr. Fixer gifted me a Tad Customs bi-pin setup and I knew I would soon have a project on my hands. I could never have guessed it would take me a year to put together. I've restored a truck faster than I've put this light together. Next I bought an HDPE gas pipe and the 18650 cell I had didn't fit so I finally figured out I needed a PVC gas pipe. Then, I bought a pair of 18650 flat tops and realized they didn't work in series so I swapped them out for the 18650 button tops my dad was running in is Surefire work light. Along the way I picked up a Fivemega 18650 "C" cell stainless tail cap and scalloped bezel. I joined them with a "Letter Serial" 2 C Maglite I scored on fleabay a while back and I thought I had an awesome light. Only then did I notice the reflector and lens start to get cloudy after only a couple minutes of run time from all the heat. So, I ordered up a KAI Domain SMO reflector and glass lens. I waited the usual 4 week KAI Domain delivery time and now I'm in business!!!

dgHyj5A.jpg

What an awesome setup!! This thing throws like nobody's business. The beam shots here do not do it justice. I'm able to light up trees and houses at least 100 yards down my block. Do I have a real use for this light? No. But man is it fun to play around with. Not much spill and it's not intensely bright. It's just an awesome thrower. I had to do one more pic while I was taking them and it shows how far the tech has come in 20 or so years. Way brighter than my 7C and about a third of the size.

iQR4xCO.jpg

These lights were popular here years ago. While I was putting it together I kept running across threads from 2008 or so, it really was a journey back in time and I can highly recommend to new CPF users like myself that they should put one together also. It certainly gives a greater appreciation to the evolution of LED and lithium ion lights. I've been collecting Maglites for almost 8 years now but being new to CPF I did not realize all the amazing mods that could be done to these lights.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's nice. What bulb? The 7218?

That's a good question. I'm not too sure, the bulb I'm using is labelled 6 Volts and 20 Watts. I have another that came with it that's 6 Volts and 25 Watts.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I'm digging it so far. DO you have any other bulbs you'd recommend to try out?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
That's a good question. I'm not too sure, the bulb I'm using is labelled 6 Volts and 20 Watts. I have another that came with it that's 6 Volts and 25 Watts.

Glad you elaborated becuse frankly I couldn't remember if I'd opt'd for the 10w or 20w. I do remember thinking a glass lens and a metal reflector were on the list of future items.
I also remember thinking I wanted to keep the switch stock, but iirc the kit comes with some sort of heat friendly upgrade and how to instructions...

The Tads kit is the real deal at a great price.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in Canada so bulb availability is tricky. One of my favourites is the 5 cell mag bulb on 2 X 18650s. All the light I need (between 150 and 200 lumens) and 2+ hours runtime

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good pick.
Do you prefer krypton over xenon? Bi-pin xenon over PR xenon in your Mag bulbs?

I have found in Maglites a krypton does a nicer beam than a bi-pin xenon. But it's a toss up between PR xenon or krypton with the brightness of a xenon bias-ing my choice that way.

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you elaborated becuse frankly I couldn't remember if I'd opt'd for the 10w or 20w. I do remember thinking a glass lens and a metal reflector were on the list of future items.
I also remember thinking I wanted to keep the switch stock, but iirc the kit comes with some sort of heat friendly upgrade and how to instructions...

The Tads kit is the real deal at a great price.

It does! The spring is the spring between the switch terminal and bulb that allows the light to focus. The stock spring is a cheap white metal and the Tad's spring is stainless. The stock spring loses all of it's strength when it heat sup to much and fails. The stainless spring is more robust. I changed them out when doing the drop in.

Thanks again Mr. Fixer!! I appreciate it although my neighbors might not, lol.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's nice. What bulb? The 7218?
That's a good question. I'm not too sure, the bulb I'm using is labelled 6 Volts and 20 Watts.
6 Volts, 20 Watts bulb takes over 3.3 Amps which is almost double of 1.8 Amp.
This is also maximum of current spike for pictured protected cells.
However if anyone want to get brighter incand, then Philips 5761 with pair of IMR 18650 is a choice.
For less brightness, there are many other options.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good pick.
Do you prefer krypton over xenon? Bi-pin xenon over PR xenon in your Mag bulbs?

I have found in Maglites a krypton does a nicer beam than a bi-pin xenon. But it's a toss up between PR xenon or krypton with the brightness of a xenon bias-ing my choice that way.

I prefer the xenon pr bulb. That being said I haven't tried the bi pin yet. But I'm not sure if it'll handle the overdrive or not

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the xenon pr bulb. That being said I haven't tried the bi pin yet. But I'm not sure if it'll handle the overdrive or not

I don't know for a fact that it would but I'm guessing so. They are all around a more hearty bulb. Very durable. I've noticed the life on the bi-pin bulbs is greater than the PR bulbs.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My 2nd "smaller 7D" was a 3 cell ML25 IT using 18650's. I tried a 5 and 6 cell bi-pin and a TL3 bulb. The 5 cell held up. I ended up going with the TL3 bulb for the cleaner beam.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
6 Volts, 20 Watts bulb takes over 3.3 Amps which is almost double of 1.8 Amp.
This is also maximum of current spike for pictured protected cells.
However if anyone want to get brighter incand, then Philips 5761 with pair of IMR 18650 is a choice.
For less brightness, there are many other options.

Awesome, good to know. Breaking out the old P = I * E.

I wish more bulbs had the voltage and wattage listed so I could find out how many amps they draw. It would make picking the right battery configuration a whole lot easier.