7D Maglite in a smaller package

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just sitting here trying to figure out which version of the ml25it to buy-2c or 3c. Not practical to buy both since my chevy truck has been high maintenance ($$) and I want to save up to buy an old ford f150 a fellow at work has.

I was thinking of getting a 3C and running it on 2 protected 21700's with a 6 cell bulb, but I don't know if that would start to melt the reflector.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds good xxo. Seems like I read somewhere on here that fivemega said that a 6 cell bulb might not melt the reflector if a 5 cell does-(hope I didn't say that wrong). It seems that in that case the 5 cell bulb was overdriven.

Last edited:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was thinking of getting a 3C and running it on 2 protected 21700's with a 6 cell bulb, but I don't know if that would start to melt the reflector.

Maximum limit for plastic lens and reflector is 10 watt.
A 6 cell bulb is 7.2V, .9A or (7.2x0.9=6.48) watt. Still less than 10 watt.
In fact, every 2~7 incand cell flashlight is safe for plastic lens and reflector.
M*gCharger bulb is slightly more than 10W and comes with glass lens and metal reflector.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maximum limit for plastic lens and reflector is 10 watt. A 6 cell bulb is 7.2V, .9A or (7.2x0.9=6.48) watt. Still less than 10 watt. In fact, every 2~7 incand cell flashlight is safe for plastic lens and reflector. M*gCharger bulb is slightly more than 10W and comes with glass lens and metal reflector.

The ML25IT's have a much smaller bulb opening in the plastic reflector than the normal C/D cell Mags which have larger openings for the old PR bulbs – the ML25's were made for the bi-pin bulbs only.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ordinarily I agree 100% FM, but like xxo said while I was typing in the case of the ML25 IT Maglite chose to punch a a very narrow hole in the reflector. Much like Streamlight used to do with the TL lights. So a wee bit of blister occurs next to the bulb when using hotter than 2 or 3 cell bulbs. The hotter the bulb the larger the area that blisters. Kinda scary at first but it does not end up affecting the beam over time as the initial blistered area doesn't expand much.
The way I got around that was to drill out the 1/4" hole in the reflector with a 5/16" bit from the front then carve out a 3/8" hole by hand with a drill bit. I started out drilling out that extra 16th inch, ran it a few minutes and removed the reflector to feel how hot it got. It was pretty warm but not as bad as factory. The additional 16th" to make it total 3/8" when checked was nice and cool. Not completely cool mind you but after a 5 minute run it was hardly warm.

26-F75523-D0-A4-4-BE4-8-C4-B-5-D3-CF83-A012-E.jpg

Before drilling it.
3 cell model using 18650's and a TL3 bulb. Note melted foil around the edges and how close the bulb is to the plastic.

84165-CFE-45-BA-4-CCF-89-FC-BC09051-F696-A.jpg

After drilling.
The gap does not affect the beam at all. I had not sanded the edges of the hole when the photo was taken so you see some ugly edges.

445-EF506-B54-F-4-B92-B159-3-ED88180-B2-F5.jpg

The beam after drilling

1-EBDA99-F-6657-4567-B85-B-E5-A6271-FA3-B5.jpg

A reflector after sanding the edges.
Nice and clean factory look.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's what kept me from getting a ML25IT when they first came out and they had them a target. Almost bought two of them, but when I saw how small the hole for the bulb was, I figured whatever I had in mind for a mod was likely to melt the reflector.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
At first I preferred the 2 cell one using a 4 cell bulb with a pair of solar lamp batteries (ie LifePo4 18500's) but after over sizing the hole I like the 3 cell with 1amp 18650's and a TL-3 bulb.

Best to drill from the rear of the reflector btw. I did one from the front and one from the rear and the one drilled from the rear ended up cleaning up better. Plus no chance of scuffing the face of the reflector if drilling from the rear. Either grasp it very firmly before using a power drill or just use the drill bit to carve the hole out bigger by hand. Plastic is soft enough to where it is not very difficult.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Here's an odd one I bought at eBay a few years back. A 2C number made of solid brass using a simple twisty switch at the rear. Having a metal reflector I figured it would take heat well.

0-AEEB94-D-F1-E4-4-A33-931-B-142-ED22-DB03-B.jpg

So a pair of LifePo4 batteries and 4 cell maglite krypton bulb later……
Another big light bright in a small package was born. Ugly as a mud fence but when turned on it gets a "holy crap, that's a light bulb?" reaction every time.

F0-C88-B93-2-A13-4814-9413-C82-B69-B60-E45.jpg

Especially the guy across the street

Last edited:

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
first i heard of an incan ban including flashlights.
afaik all mag bulbs were made by a handfull of companies.
not made in house.
seems silly anyway to pass legislation targeting efficiency of a flashlight anyway.
but it is afterall california!
Tony turned off the switch at the light bulb making part of the factory in 2016 when California banned the light bulb. Now what you see in the market place is remaining stock piles. Dude had quite the operation going and could make enough product in one day to last the city of Boston a lifetime. The biggest sellers were the 2 and 3 cell D lites thanks to Wal Marts, Home Depot's and Lowes stores.

In a last gasp attempt he made the ML25 in a 2 and 3 cell incan version as a way of legally being able to sell some of the leftover bulbs. If it flopped, he could recoup losses through tax breaks. If it succeded he'd make profit. They sold about as well as ice in the frozen Tundra. The 2 cell touted a whopping 30 lumens. 3 cell boasted 63 lumens. The masses at that time were gobbling up lumen wars numbers and anything under 300 lumens collected dust on store shelves.

My favorite Maglite parts source Z Battery still has some ML25 incan lights in stock in a few colors.

But I seriously doubt Maglite will return to the incan market. Best we can hope for is Spectum series ML25, 50 and 300's in warm tint.