7x6 H6054 Conversion Housings

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
i looked at the led headlamps, but not so sure i want a plastic lens.

There's plastic, and then there's plastic. Like anything else, there are better and worse grades of polycarbonate and hardcoat. The Truck-Lite lamps are a heavy-duty product made for long-term durability in aggressive heavy-duty service. Plus, LED headlamp lenses run a lot cooler than halogen lamps, which greatly slows the deterioration of the lens. I would not hesitate to use the Truck-Lite lamp just because it has a plastic lens.

but if i were to go that route, you think the trucklite would be better than the morimoto sealed5

Definitely.

or the jw speaker 8900?

Yes, especially for motorcycle applications.

and, you think that, if i want a glass lens, i should get the koito xr12? even for motorcycle use, its overall performance would be better than the hella sae?

Yes. The Hella SAE lamp's beam pattern is much closer to a European beam than to a traditional SAE beam, complete with the cutoff, so in that perspective there's not much difference, but the Koito is a more efficient, better-performing light.

Last edited:

Ofelas

Enlightened
As it turns out, the spare pair of BOBIs I picked up don't have to be Cratex'd - they take regular H4 bulbs.

Unfortunately, one headlamp has some minor issues.

If any kind soul has a pair (or even a single) 200x142 (5x7/6x8) BOBI with the black C in the middle of the lens, that they'd like to part with, please PM me.

MFPqiNM.jpg

PT2tMiw.jpg

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Oooooh, that's a bummer. Seller didn't box it up carefully? Or was it so happy to be finally out of the box that it kissed the ground?

Ofelas

Enlightened
The minute I picked the box up from the front stoop I heard ominous tinkling.

Poor thing must have had a sad, hard, ride to me.

I put the word out to Stern for him to dig deep into his stash...likewise, I'd be obliged if you'd do the same, I'll take any & all 200x142 C-logo BOBIs I find.

Since the glass envelope is shattered as well, I'm not sure whether to send the housing over to Germany & have them restoration fellers work their magic.

Side question - IF I manage to find a spare lens (fat chance, I know) - is the lack of the black topped envelope more than made up for by an opaque bulb tip?

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
IF I manage to find a spare lens (fat chance, I know) - is the lack of the black topped envelope more than made up for by an opaque bulb tip?

Dunno for sure, but I can take a crack (HAH! See what I did there!) at it. Without the bulb shield you'd have more upward stray light. Maybe enough to violate the US limit (125 candelas from 10U to 90U), probably not enough to violate the UN limit (438 candelas). This would make the lamp not as good in bad weather. On the other hand, if you take away the glass between the bulb and the reflector, you'll have greater intensity within the beam.

Ofelas

Enlightened
Haha, yes, I see that, you shattered my non envelope dreams, even ;-)

That's just a spare reflector assembly, then, a paperweight for now.

Stern did give me some solid advice on what adhesive/sealant to use/not use, along with some gas fill pointers, which I'll use at a later date if I ever find a lens.

Dunno for sure, but I can take a crack (HAH! See what I did there!) at it. Without the bulb shield you'd have more upward stray light. Maybe enough to violate the US limit (125 candelas from 10U to 90U), probably not enough to violate the UN limit (438 candelas). This would make the lamp not as good in bad weather. On the other hand, if you take away the glass between the bulb and the reflector, you'll have greater intensity within the beam.

That lens had initially separated from the housing, it was loose but intact (in a very soggy rain soaked box) when it was dropped off at my buddy's house.

He repacked them & shipped to me, the lens, reflector & the second headlamp were all separated inside the box.

Whether the padding wasn't adequate, or FedEx played ball with the box on it's way to me, your guess is as good as mine.

That took some doing! Those lamps are designed to be mounted on the front of a vehicle going down a highway. What happened?