9007 relay upgrade parts/sockets

Duodec

Newly Enlightened
I've decided to put a relay upgrade in my Liberty; it uses 9007 bulbs, and a quick test of a direct connection battery-bulb on one side showed enough improvement in output to make it worth it.

I'm going to make it a reversible upgrade using 9007 plugs to connect the existing sockets to the relays/relay board. The bulbs will be premium stock power (Philips Xtreme Power or Osram Silverstar... no not Sylvania Silverstars).

The chain store 9007 sockets (they didn't have plugs) were $12 each for 'high temp' and about $6 for 'standard', both with apparently 18 gauge pigtails (the wire size was not called out so thats a guess based on appearance). Some Ebay and other vendors list 16 gauge and ceramic socket bodies (I was hoping for 14 gauge which I used for a quad round H4/H1 upgrade I did years ago but 16 gauge may be adequate; I think its better than what is in the Jeep now...).

Is it worth getting 'ceramic' or high-heat sockets for this application? Again I'm not going with higher wattage bulbs (assuming they're even available).

I doubt I can disassemble the store sockets cleanly enough to replace the wires without destroying the contacts. Any recommendations for quality sockets with better/bigger wire? I've seen some harnesses advertised as "HID" with high temp sockets; that might be OK since I'd get both plug and socket at the same time, as long as its not cheap caca hiding behind the HID keyword.

Thanks.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Pick your components carefully. I prefer to have a socket that allows me to attach my own wire, rather than a pigtail (socket plus a few inches of wire). Use 12-gauge wire, use carefully-selected fuses and fuse holders, and use good quality name-brand relays. My preference is for Tyco, Bosch, Omron, or P&B. I will use a Hella relay if I have no choice, but I will carry a spare in the glovebox! I will not use generic or off-brand relays and I have been bitten too often by relays made in China or India to accept them any more unless there is absolutely no choice (which does not seem to be the case).

There is no Osram Silver Star 9007 bulb. Use Philips Xtreme Power or GE Night Hawk Platinum. And you don't mention what year your Liberty is; the first few years had terrible headlamp optics. The facelift that happened around '05 or so brought revised headlamps (same size/shape but better optics) that are worth getting and installing as long as you get OEM Chrysler units and not aftermarket ones.

Dan Stern has a "RIK-HB5" parts kit that contains all the parts in good quality. He's probably not the only one.

Duodec

Newly Enlightened
Thank you kindly for the info. I may see about upgrading the entire headlight units then (mine is a 2002). I have the XTreme Power bulbs in it now and they helped but I'm looking for more.

12 gauge... wow. Didn't expect to go that large but OK.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to run 10 gauge. Was usually feeding 100 watts and wanted zero voltage drop. Fun stuff. :)

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
You were asking about high temperature, high quality headlamp sockets. I'm pretty sure I bought the ones I'm using to set up a high quality H4 harness here:

http://store.candlepower.com/hiheso.html

It might be worth looking to see what they have. I end up assembling the connector, using my own wire, but at least I end up with a high temp, low loss connector and my own choice of wire.

I didn't worry about a DIY high temp job for the male connector to plug into the factory headlamp socket; it's only going to carry control current to the relay. I just got what I wanted here:

http://store.candlepower.com/hecoplforhac.html

Have fun building your harnes. :)