A 3D Printer for the CPF community?

Would you make use of a 3D printer if it was available cheaply?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

samwise

Newly Enlightened
Love the idea that something like this may be available, maybe this will be the final push that get me to learn CAD.

ahorton

Enlightened
Looks like some positive and some neutral response. Probably not quite enough to push me up to a higher quality machine but I still have a little while to think about it.

I was curious if people would come back with a bunch of designs that they have in mind but there may not be many relevant applications beyond what I'm already planning (brackets for headlamps etc).

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a cool idea and it's got me thinking about several possible projects. I hope in the end ahorton, you can bring this idea to fruition.

It amazes me that 3D printing has reached the stage where it is almost on the consumer level. I became fascinated with the development of this technology when I first read about it back in 1996. It was reminiscent of a Star Trek replicator or Robbie the Robot from Forbidden Planet. At the time the Department of the Navy was trying to develop a method of sending parts to ships at sea via satellite. There had been a previous development called Stereolithography invented in the 1980s but the Navy was interested in Fused Deposit Modeling of polymers and Laser Sintering because of the potential to create more durable objects. There have been several other technologies kicking around as well. The term 3D printing didn't exist then. Maybe in a few years we will have affordable access to small home 3D Electron Beam Fabricators so we can make metal (including titanium) flashlight parts! :eek:

Harold_B

Enlightened
There's only one thing on your list that would keep me from ordering and that's your access to my designs. I understand that this forum is for hobbyists but I am accustomed to having an NDA or some form of IP restrictions in place with a prototype shop. Very cool idea getting a machine and all, but if I need to pay full price locally then so be it. I'd gladly change my mind if there is an option to modify your bullet #3 and still get the pricing you propose. I'm not lacking in trust but a majority of my prototypes are for patented or patent pending or R&D projects. Might come off as snooty but my intention is to answer the question and to suggest a way where I could support your purchase of a machine.

ahorton

Enlightened
Yeah I thought that some people would not be happy with that point (and for good reason too - no argument here). I could certainly allow people to have a secret design, but probably for an extra fee. There would be two reasons for the fee. Firstly, is that I'm selfish and I choose not to work for free. Secondly is that it's not being part of the CPF community. As you said, this place is for hobbyists.

Codiak

Enlightened
I do a lot with modeling plastics, making good molds is always the issue. I've even considered buying a 3d printer just for that purpose. So yeah, I'd do a couple pieces... Most likely battery holder protos

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can think of a variety of things to use something like that for - most of it non flashlight. The better the resolution, but more useful it is to me. For example - +/- 0.1 mm is really interesting. Wider than that and it really isn't so much so.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Some points I've pondered-

- USB key bodies; get a bunch of USB keys and pop off their plastic bodies, the replace them with your own. Business logos, 2D renders of flashlights, the CPF logo, etc..

- Keychain pendants; this one would require the use of a 3D scanner, but could be very popular: 3D scan a very popular light, like a Surefire Beast, then create 1"-1.5" plastic copies of it with a keychain lanyard. Now everyone can carry around the awesome light they can't afford. (for fun, bore out the light-end of the little light for tritium globe placement..)

- Art class; not flashlight related but perhaps the most noble use of the printer; I don't know if 3D scans of actual pieces of historic artwork are available, but it'd really be something if your local schools' art classes could have a discussion of Michaelangelo's David, and the the teacher could present the class with their copy of it..

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been toying with the idea of building my own 3D printer, a reprap (google it, they are pretty neat). They can print using ABS, or PLA. Tolerances are not as good as commercial machines, but they can be built for ~$500 or so, vs $15-20k for a proper commercial machine.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Some great ideas StarHalo,
Norm

I'd also be interested, lots to learn, I'd make every effort to use the service even if it were just as a learning exercise.

ahorton

Enlightened
Those are some fun ideas Starhalo.

Realistically though, I suspect the accuracy won't quite be good enough for pretty trinkets. Layers of 0.1-0.2mm are very small and no problem for functional parts, but they are surprisingly visible. Of course I'll certainly try such things.

The repraps are pretty good and they can be had for about $500 + a lot of work. Then there are a few kits of various qualities up to $2500 and then you enter the bottom of the commercial market and go from $3000 upwards.

I don't think there's enough interest (or application) here for me to justify the $3K machines but I'm also not going to go bottom of the range.

Exciting idea:

For about $1500-$2000 I have in mind a machine that can also handle extremely light milling. Of course we're talking extremely light duty. Less than 1mm^3/s for aluminium, so it takes at least 8 hours (probably even double that) to mill out a cavity for an 18650 cell. Not fast, but if it's CNC then I'm hoping to just walk away and let it be. Also, the accuracy on the milling is much better than the printing. So you could make trinkets that way. I'm more thinking of making PCBs since I hate making them by hand and every other option costs a fortune (either in time or money).

Yes that's right. I'm willing to spend $1500 on a printer to save $50 on professionally made PCBs.

ahorton

Enlightened
Yeah pretty much. A very slow one.

Much faster as a printer (40-50 mm^3/s).

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted probably, though I would likely order at least one or two parts at that price. I will need at least one bike helmet light bracket and possibly a bike part.
Another idea: it is possible to make plastic light bodies with a copper or brass strip up the side like a multitude of plastic flashlights in stores.

ahorton

Enlightened
It is certainly possible to make a plastic body and then bend the copper strip and fit it in.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I lost a couple of hours of my life last night on Shapeways; much like Cafepress where you can send in a design and they'll print it on demand for sale on a wide range of products, Shapeways allows 3D creators to upload their designs which are then 3D printed on demand for sale, usually available shaped from a wide range of materials. Artwork, jewelry, toy/game pieces, mechanical parts, etc. are all featured.*Beware: just browsing the site is a serious time-waster..

photo12364.jpg

ahorton

Enlightened
Yeah Shapeways is excellent. I've ordered from them several times.

I still want to buy my own because it'll cut down the cost (in the long run) as well as the time delay.

Also their cheaper materials are a semi-porous nylon which is not much good for waterproof applications like battery cases.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's a great idea, it'd be great for anti roll devises and difuser caps.

+1 for the cr2 battery holder

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also be good to use it for the creation of highly customized battery adapters. Could use the cavity to store all sorts of goodies.

CKOD

Enlightened
What sort of machine are we talking? FDM? SLA? SLS? Heat from use may be an issue for the cheap FDM machines that everyone is all worked up over online lately, despite them not being too terribly useful (low strength, low heat tolerance, low z resolution, porus etc...). but given your mention of 0.3-0.1mm z resolution, I suspect its not FDM :)